What affordable waterproof jackets do you recommend?

DanWalker

Looking for a new jacket for dog walking/training, grouse counting and a bit of rough shooting/sitting in the hide. Main criteria is being waterproof as I'm tired of reproofing Barbours only to get wet first time out. Ideally don't want to spend a fortune but appreciate that spending a bit on a durable coat that will last five or more seasons is going to be money well spent. Cheers, Dan

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get yourself an MoD Goretex Jacket, cheap, lightweight depending upon variant you get, waterproof, breathable.

<script pagespeed_no_defer="" type="text/javascript">//=d.offsetWidth&&0>=d.offsetHeight)a=!1;else{c=d.getBoundingClientRect();var f=document.body;a=c.top+("pageYOffset"in window?window.pageYOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollTop);c=c.left+("pageXOffset"in window?window.pageXOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollLeft);f=a.toString()+","+c;b.b.hasOwnProperty(f)?a=!1:(b.b[f]=!0,a=a<=b.e.height&&c<=b.e.width)}a&&(b.a.push(e),b.d[e]=!0)};p.prototype.checkImageForCriticality=function(b){b.getBoundingClientRect&&q(this,b)};h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkImageForCriticality",function(b){n.checkImageForCriticality(b)});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkCriticalImages",function(){r(n)});var r=function(b){b.b={};for(var d=["IMG","INPUT"],a=[],c=0;c=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e)}b.g&&(e="&rd="+encodeURIComponent(JSON.stringify(s())),131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e),d=!0);t=a;if(d){c=b.f;b=b.h;var f;if(window.XMLHttpRequest)f=new XMLHttpRequest;else if(window.ActiveXObject)try{f=new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP")}catch(k){try{f=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")}catch(u){}}f&&(f.open("POST",c+(-1==c.indexOf("?")?"?":"&")+"url="+encodeURIComponent(b)),f.setRequestHeader("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded"),f.send(a))}}},s=function(){var b={},d=document.getElementsByTagName("IMG");if(0==d.length)return{};var a=d[0];if(!("naturalWidth"in a&&"naturalHeight"in a))return{};for(var c=0;a=d[c];++c){var e=a.getAttribute("pagespeed_url_hash");e&&(!(e in b)&&0=b[e].k&&a.height>=b[e].j)&&(b[e]={rw:a.width,rh:a.height,ow:a.naturalWidth,oh:a.naturalHeight})}return b},t="";h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.getBeaconData",function(){return t});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run",function(b,d,a,c,e,f){var k=new p(b,d,a,e,f);n=k;c&&m(function(){window.setTimeout(function(){r(k)},0)})});})();pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run('/mod_pagespeed_beacon','http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?s=081e3b24f8232b56bf65b7bf91f7083e&app=forums&module=ajax§ion=topics&do=quote&t=333853&p=3035538&md5check=3064b4d9a05da8fc2dfe96962536b5b5&isRte=1,B6nXayd9mu,true,false,vfk2GzcGp_4');//]]></script> MTP-GORETEX-JACKET-1-900x900.jpg&&0

A wonderful piece of kit.

hello, any links to where can buy tightchoke?

Harkila pro hunter will do 4 - 5 years and more and does work in ALL weathers. Quite heavy so not ideal for summer activity. Expensive but worth it, by far the best coat I've ever owned.

Deerhunter has done me ok too and you've probably more chance of picking up something in a sale. Try Sportsman Gun Centre.

The reason they don't have many pockets is they are designed to be worn under a windproof smock. Highly recommend a windproof smock as a general wear jacket. I use them for all my shooting and dog walking year round and just change the layers underneath depending on the weather.

https://www.goarmy.co.uk/military-clothing/army-jackets/british-army-desert-dpm-windprood-smock-prod

Edited by Caravanman

Harkila pro hunter will do 4 - 5 years and more and does work in ALL weathers. Quite heavy so not ideal for summer activity. Expensive but worth it, by far the best coat I've ever owned.

Deerhunter has done me ok too and you've probably more chance of picking up something in a sale. Try Sportsman Gun Centre.

My pro hunter is getting on must be 6 - 8 years old never let me down.

Get yourself an MoD Goretex Jacket, cheap, lightweight depending upon variant you get, waterproof, breathable.

<script pagespeed_no_defer="">//=d.offsetWidth&&0>=d.offsetHeight)a=!1;else{c=d.getBoundingClientRect();var f=document.body;a=c.top+("pageYOffset"in window?window.pageYOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollTop);c=c.left+("pageXOffset"in window?window.pageXOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollLeft);f=a.toString()+","+c;b.b.hasOwnProperty(f)?a=!1:(b.b[f]=!0,a=a<=b.e.height&&c<=b.e.width)}a&&(b.a.push(e),b.d[e]=!0)};p.prototype.checkImageForCriticality=function(b){b.getBoundingClientRect&&q(this,b)};h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkImageForCriticality",function(b){n.checkImageForCriticality(b)});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkCriticalImages",function(){r(n)});var r=function(b){b.b={};for(var d=["IMG","INPUT"],a=[],c=0;c=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e)}b.g&&(e="&rd="+encodeURIComponent(JSON.stringify(s())),131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e),d=!0);t=a;if(d){c=b.f;b=b.h;var f;if(window.XMLHttpRequest)f=new XMLHttpRequest;else if(window.ActiveXObject)try{f=new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP")}catch(k){try{f=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")}catch(u){}}f&&(f.open("POST",c+(-1==c.indexOf("?")?"?":"&")+"url="+encodeURIComponent(b)),f.setRequestHeader("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded"),f.send(a))}}},s=function(){var b={},d=document.getElementsByTagName("IMG");if(0==d.length)return{};var a=d[0];if(!("naturalWidth"in a&&"naturalHeight"in a))return{};for(var c=0;a=d[c];++c){var e=a.getAttribute("pagespeed_url_hash");e&&(!(e in b)&&0=b[e].k&&a.height>=b[e].j)&&(b[e]={rw:a.width,rh:a.height,ow:a.naturalWidth,oh:a.naturalHeight})}return b},t="";h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.getBeaconData",function(){return t});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run",function(b,d,a,c,e,f){var k=new p(b,d,a,e,f);n=k;c&&m(function(){window.setTimeout(function(){r(k)},0)})});})();pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run('/mod_pagespeed_beacon','http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?s=5bd859536d1fcfe32afe29efd2854786&app=forums&module=ajax§ion=topics&do=quote&t=333853&p=3035538&md5check=c3a7cee169e1078c5df19499176d2327&isRte=1,B6nXayd9mu,true,false,0_qfgD39b1E');//]]></script> MTP-GORETEX-JACKET-1-900x900.jpg&&0

A wonderful piece of kit.

+1 these are excellent.

Blackpowder

My seeland jacket has just given up after 18months! I have bought a shooter king jacket which looks to be great and a gortex type Army desert Camo jacket £25 for a trip to Africa.

Shooter king impressed as there is plenty of information about the specification of the product not just saying its good. It also looks pretty smart.

The desert camo coat is amazing value.