Mosquito Repellent

ruraltownie

Hey all,

I wanted to get peoples experience and advise of those lovable blood sucking pests called mosquitoes.

As the weather has started to pick up a little and it's getting later in the year I am finding that I'm getting increasingly bitten by mosquitoes (the pests seem to love me! :unhappy:). While the bites are nothing more than an irritation during the week I'd prefer not to have them, and of course not going outdoors isn't an option.

How do others overcome mosquitoes while outdoors/shooting? Any recommended products as there are many wipes, sprays, mosquitoes bands and voodoo spells... and I want to try something that is proven to work?

Thanks in advance :good:

Avon Skin So Soft unscented - as crazy as it sounds, it's superb - it proved so good they now market it as the Expedition range (and put the price up)

Use this and it works well..

Use as high DEET as possible. I've also heard good things about jungle formula.

DEET is the key thing to have in the repellent but alot dont have it as an ingredient..

+1 for Avon Skin So Soft, especially Scottish midges.

Another way of dealing with Mozzies and Midges is to coat yourself with a liberal solution of sugar and water.

It does mean that you will get bitten quite badly but the upside is that the sugar quickly rots their teeth so they can't bite anyone else. :good:

Spray your clothes with permethrin, if you have cats be very careful, it's very toxic to cats when it's wet, but fine once it dries, that'll last about six washes and kill insects that land or crawl on it, repellents like DEET stop them biting, permethrin kills them, including ticks, we've had a pretty warm and wet winter where I am so they're going to be nasty this year.

As well as the permethrin you want a liberal coating of spray with as much DEET in it as you can get on all exposed skin and you'll be as protected as you can be.

You can also make your own mossie repellent that does work, (unlike a lot of the home made ones, there's a lot of nonsense from the natural medicine crowd) using lemon eucalyptus oil, (that's the active ingredient, and that'll be why Vicks works as well) vanilla extract (helps with the smell and makes it a little more effective) and a solvent like the bottled witch hazel you can put on bruises or even vodka, it's just a dilutant that allows the oils and water to mix.

Video here:

In the description there's also links to some actual evidence for the effectiveness of the compounds in lemon eucalyptus oil, and it has been classified by the EPA as a pesticide.

I have tried that one as I ran out of repellent and it does work, not quite as effective as DEET I found, but better than any other home made and some bought repellents that I've tried, so worth giving it a go if you want to save a few quid or don't like the idea of DEET, as it can cause health issues in some people if you're using it a lot, that said, I've been using DEET for years with no ill effects, but I'm not sure I'd want to spray it on a kid, most people won't suffer any ill effects, but if you do they can be pretty nasty.

Edited by Jamesey1981

Avon Skin So Soft unscented - as crazy as it sounds, it's superb - it proved so good they now market it as the Expedition range (and put the price up)

If you can't get the Expedition (out of stock on amazon UK), you can still get the ORIGINAL - they changed the formula but re-introduced the original version along with the new one because it was known to work as a repellent.

If you can't get the Expedition (out of stock on amazon UK), you can still get the ORIGINAL - they changed the formula but re-introduced the original version along with the new one because it was known to work as a repellent.

Thats what I found as it was really good... then seemed to not be as effective.... have they changed it back?

Thats what I found as it was really good... then seemed to not be as effective.... have they changed it back?

I don't know. As I couldn't get it locally and had to go to Amazon I got several bottles which I'm still using. That was some time back so was pleased to see Beardo's post as I wasn't aware of that one.

I use the go outdoors 100% deet

works very well and i used to get bitten a lot

did read somewhere that regular use products high in deet aren't great for you can cause brain problems i think but can't remember (actually can't remember not a joke )

I thought it also affects some materials and plastics, I had a watch ruined once with a Deet based product

Deet loves plastic and rubber. Once melted a cheap plastic lighter with it after spraying my hands and arms.

I thought it also affects some materials and plastics, I had a watch ruined once with a Deet based product

Edited by Penelope

:no: DEET I could work fine but it attacked the duratouch on my 425 waterfowl never again.

Avon skin so soft is a good one it works up gto a point, but when you are mobbed out you know what i meen so many you have to wave them away to see ducks at a distance, :lol: that bad.

You need to bring out the vbigf guns, Vics apour rub on your jacket collar and on the cuffs in addition to the afore said Avon skin so soft on your skin , And the coup de grace the Garden centre citarella candle in a dog food can knock half a dozen holes in the lowere side of the can stand it behind you, You will be mozzy free guaranteed.

I used to swere by SSS but its usless now, and i have a few bottles of the useless stuff. it used to work as a barrier cream so midges would still buzz about u and land but didnae like to bite thru it

I tend to just wear a midge jacket (hoody with face veil) got quite used to wearing it now.

Also take garelic tabelts every day, which i do think helps, they also reckon marmite or Vit B pills help althou i was not convinced when tried them last year.

Not a fan of deet, anything that can rot plastic is probably not a good idea to cover urself init long term.

In NZ fishing we used a mix of dettol and baby oil to keep the sand flies away, it did work to some extent, bloody worse than midges thoose things

So there seems to be a lot of buzz (no pun intended) around the Avon Skin So Soft.

Am I correct in thinking it is this product?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Avon-Original-Spray-Jojoba-Citronellol/dp/B002MDAOSQ/ref=lp_344272031_1_1_s_it?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1465483713&sr=1-1

https://www.avon.uk.com/product/1885/

Thats a new one is it good?

Do a search in the "other shooting matters" section on here! a few people have tried em and confirm they work! I have used em in still conditions on the moor in August/Sept and although the little beggars are still irritating........I don't recall been bitten?