SxS,s Are they on the up.?

TONY R

A question based on casual observations in recent visits to a few gun shops, there seems to be a lot of shooters all ages and no particular type of shooter asking to look at or asking about side by side shotguns.

Im not in the trade and it could have been all pure coincidence i suppose, but is this a kind of new trend, a gun shop owner once told me not that many years ago he had to keep turning away people with side by sides even quite nice ones because he just could not move them on.

Is there a resurgence in popularity of side by side in the people you know?.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hello, many older shooters started with a S/S like me at 15 and a 410, then the likes of AYAs started to appear in the gun shops at prices most could afford unless you were lucky to own a true english gun. they still have a big following and ownership some even sat in gun cabinets and never used as the O/Us seem to be the most favoured with semi autos and pumps a firm favourite with pigeon shooters. i quite fancy a AYA XXV !!!!!!!!

The cheaper ones are still two a penny at Auctions and many a bargain can be had, the top ones at auction a fetching big money still. A chap I met said he buys for export to Middle East almost exclusively. For quality guns I believe that the prices are quite stable. I would advise everyone to go to at least one auction, I found it a real eye-opener and great fun. Project guns can be bought for sometimes as little as £10 (at one auction recently a job lot of 5 single barrels went for £20)

Edited by impala59

hello, many older shooters started with a S/S like me at 15 and a 410, then the likes of AYAs started to appear in the gun shops at prices most could afford unless you were lucky to own a true english gun. they still have a big following and ownership some even sat in gun cabinets and never used as the O/Us seem to be the most favoured with semi autos and pumps a firm favourite with pigeon shooters.

i quite fancy a AYA XXV !!!!!!!!

Get one! Everyone who has one loves em and whoever has sold one regrets it including me. I wish I had it back as it was one of the nicest examples I've seen of one. :-(

Edited by winnie&bezza

i quite fancy a AYA XXV !!!!!!!!

Get one! Everyone who has one loves em and whoever has sold one regrets it including me. I wish I had it back as it was one of the nicest examples I've seen of one. :-(

I got rid of my old boxlock one and regretted for the last 5 years or so. But I have managed to get a sidelock XXV that needed a bit of tlc for a good price. I have finished the woodwork which looks good and just waiting for the barrels to come back from Barrelblacker on here who is re-bluing, sorting a dent in the rib and lapping out the barrels for me. Can not wait to use it this season and a walk around a few hedges before that.

A question based on casual observations in recent visits to a few gun shops, there seems to be a lot of shooters all ages and no particular type of shooter asking to look at or asking about side by side shotguns.

Im not in the trade and it could have been all pure coincidence i suppose, but is this a kind of new trend, a gun shop owner once told me not that many years ago he had to keep turning away people with side by sides even quite nice ones because he just could not move them on.

Is there a resurgence in popularity of side by side in the people you know?.

I think that there are three main reasons, people who have never had one want one for fun and at the prices you can buy a good AYA no3/4 why not? Secondly possibly in the quest for ever faster cartridges OU guns seem to be heavier than ever and who wants to lug one of those around a field. Lastly, and i my view the most likely, as driven shooting becomes more and more expensive (some of our days this year are over £40 per bird, 200 bird days, not 'high bird' shoots) people are doing more walked up and rough shooting and less driven shooting for which a well fitting sxs is the perfect tool.

hello, i did have one :rolleyes:

Oh no! Another member of the numpty club haha.

I got rid of my old boxlock one and regretted for the last 5 years or so. But I have managed to get a sidelock XXV that needed a bit of tlc for a good price. I have finished the woodwork which looks good and just waiting for the barrels to come back from Barrelblacker on here who is re-bluing, sorting a dent in the rib and lapping out the barrels for me. Can not wait to use it this season and a walk around a few hedges before that.

Yes I had a box lock and if I were to get another I would probably go sidelock. Interesting to see pics when yours is done.

good quality large slow shells for sxs....

Agree in principal, yet in my Union Armera Side Lock i use Impax always have, but i do use heavier loads in my AYA no 4 26 inch it likes One of my 32 gram gordon system reloads. It what they like and if they fit you right felt recoil is not that big a deal.

I like old English sxs a lot. Prices affected by; the proposed lead ban, 2 1/2 chambers and stricter proof house rules (someone in the trade told me)

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/22751/lot/106/

Under £50 with a case

I'm currently about to p/ex (hopefully) my Arietta Crown Sabel for another wonderful hammer gun from the 1870s

K

Edited by kevin55

I think the resurgence in demand (if there is one) is more driven by price! A reasonable quality light English SBS can be had for peanuts presently!

But I also think that as a game gun the O/U is in comparison, expensive, slow, heavy and uncomfortable to carry!

I bought an AYA no 4 this year as my first shotgun. I'd looked at several over and unders, but just didn't like the balance of them,they just seemed to cumbersome.

The no4 fits perfectly and has hit everything I have pointed it towards, couldn't be more pleased.

The quietening of the lead ban fears might be making an impact with this renewed interested in the old English SxS

Serious game shots aren't buying the English stuff, is all Spanish generally. Bit heavier, longer barrels, easy to Teague choke, shoots 30/32g reasonably comfortably, single trigger option and also a matched pair costs 12K+

Serious game shots aren't buying the English stuff, is all Spanish generally. Bit heavier, longer barrels, easy to Teague choke, shoots 30/32g reasonably comfortably, single trigger option and also a matched pair costs 12K+

Very few of the Serious game shots I know, myself included......use a Spanish made SBS gun!.......I confess to no experience with and have never seen in use one (or a pair?) of the very top priced Spanish SLE's