Think she gonna kill me!

dob

My mrs just asked me a question and I was not sure of the answer but I said I know just the chaps to ask,

She asked me " if you die ( that's me) then how can I sell your guns as they are on your certificates " ?

Obviously a cert is needed to sell weapons and if I were to get a terminal illness then I could still have time to arrange for them to go but what if I was to be killed in a car crash?

I would want her to get as much as she could for them and not have them taken by the police and destroyed.

Cheers guys.

Your good lady would be given a Temp certificate to allow time to dispose of them I Believe.

As said. It is normal procedure for the relative to be given a temporary certificate permitting possession (but not use) for a reasonable period of time until the guns are sold or otherwise disposed of.

As said. It is normal procedure for the relative to be given a temporary certificate permitting possession (but not use) for a reasonable period of time until the guns are sold or otherwise disposed of.

Although, to tread a previously well worn path, she wouldn't know where your cabinet keys are and therefore wouldn't have access to your guns 🤔

As above. The person left to deal with this problem would have two issues to deal with. firstly shot guns and then firearms. If the deceased holder had someone / friend with a shotgun cert then the shotguns could be transferred onto their cert with no problem other than a potential storage space issue. If a trustworthy person could and would do this it would be simple and not incur storage fees at a rfd and it would give lots of time to dispose of them in the most advantageous manner. Firearms are a bit different this would need the wife ect to contact the firearms dept and inform them of the fact and get the department to issue a section 7 which is the holding cert. some departments might say that you have to store them with an rfd at your cost ect which is wrong. in a lot of circumstances like this the person left to deal with it gets ripped off along the line because they don't want the agro of holding and dealing with it all at this time of upheaval and bereavement and don't hold out for their just dues. to get some idea of what the value is they can have a look on Guntrader to get a bit of a value. That's if they know what make/ type/ model the gun is. A list should be made out for the person to follow. failing that then apply for a certificate.

Your good lady would be given a Temp certificate to allow time to dispose of them I Believe.

You would like to think so 🤔

A lot depends on your county's policy

It can cause a bit of a headache in the case of a sudden death

So best to get a plan in place or solicitor 👌Or family member with SGC for firearms it's your rfd

All the best

Of

Edited by Old farrier

List what makes of gun are stored and where keys are kept,,with a solicitor.

Sealed envelope.. And if known rough idea of prices at the time of writing..

As said Part one Firearms are probably different..So RFD..

now that's a good idea.