Junior Doctors - Strike Action

Royal22lr

Spent last week in Charring Cross hospital, Critical Care Unit, looking after my wife who had undergone surgery for Cerebal Brain Aneurysm.

The care,compassion and treatment was exceptional. The Doctors and nursing staff were so caring and professional it was just amazing.

The point of the post is that after watching these these amazing people and discussing the junior doctors situation with those that are doing the job - please don't dismiss the doctors action as being driven by greed or other material reasons. On CCU these nurses and doctors do 12.5 hour shifts. Everyday the staff looking after my wife and other patients were spending there own time writing up comprehensive detailed notes in their own time going without breaks and on average were spending 70 minutes per shift doing this.

On top of this the doctors would be on call for 24 hours plus. The average debt for doctors during training is 60k.

Please don't condemn the planned action- if you can I would ask you to support them in anyway you can.

The NHS faults and all, is wonderful the work is first class,

we as users must do all we can to protect it.

Pleas, please support the junior doctors- our future is their hands.

Thanks for reading my post.

Malcolm Royal 22 lr

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't disagree with the care provided. However, even the senior doctors are now questioning the action, and these are the guys who were in the papers 20+ years ago working 90 hour shifts!

It's all about the money. How can they continue their action when their own Union agreed the current contract????

Edited by Glenlivet

Sorry but can't support them on this,

They say it's not about the money but it was proved it is.....

If they were honest they would get more support, but they seem to more militant these days and it's the patients who will suffer,

Not much notice for a 5 day strike.

And the turnout that actually voted was poor,

:shaun:

I must beg to differ ..it is about money and so it should be...that coupled with a sensible working schedule.

I have 2 Junior Doctors in the Family who would turn out but they are wiped out !

Both feel extremely undervalued and are thinking of packing it all in here and moving abroad or going into private practice.

They are being backed into a corner and have no where to go.

The Government should have mediated this by now. :yes:

Our National Health Service is without a doubt the Jewel in the UK's crown and justifiably so, it is the envy of the whole world, the problem is the whole world is using it!

I don't really know enough about the dispute to qualify me to comment on it however..........it appears the sides are now inextricably polarised and the dispute has turned into a high stakes game of poker....the junior doctors have raised the stakes and the government will likely respond by raising the stakes further!...............when you get into a dispute you should leave the door slightly open, so a compromise can be reached without losing face!........Unfortunately the door on both sides is it appears tightly closed......and both side are waiting to see who blinks first.......

No sympathy what so ever, when a doctor goes on TV and says the are going to take up where the miners left off it shows what their real agenda is.

They say its not about patient safety but if we pay them more money they will agree to the new contract (and to hell with the patients presumably?) So how does that work at any level?

Patients will die, they can't say otherwise. A strike is only a strike if it hits the employer, in this case its the sick who are being harmed. The NHS can ride it out indefinitely

They are very militant but haven't got an ounce of political savvy

DId they know about pay and conditions when they started down the path after "A" levels?

They knew the T&C when they started - HMG moved the goal posts - basically more anti social hours and less money

You wouldn't accept a job without knowing.

No

I agree that they work hard etc but they did know. - No

I support their right to strike. It takes two to tango and the government is as much to blame.

sorry but this is all about the cash, you dont see any poor doctors and the way the NHS is going some GP`s are pulling £250k + not to mention they are now setting up their own contracts its a licence to print money

Everything is about the cash. Good on'em. You don't see any poor politicians do you?

The real problem with all of these strikes we never really find out what it is all about like politics each side gives its own version but nether side gives us the full story in this case I tend to think that they should just go back to the old contract as the real problem is we are just not training enough new doctors and nurses bribing them from other countries that in fact need them to stay is no answer.

As for what Royal 22 lr said it has long been said that for emergency treatment our Hospitals and doctors and nurses are some of the best in the world the problem comes with less urgent treatments that is where things get really stretched.

Edited by four-wheel-drive

I support their right to strike. It takes two to tango and the government is as much to blame.

Everything is about the cash. Good on'em. You don't see any poor politicians do you?

Yes, good on them. You've obviously not seen the emails where they say they'll turn down all offers as the main thing is to destroy the tory government.

Yes, good on them. You've obviously not seen the emails where they say they'll turn down all offers as the main thing is to destroy the tory government.

That worked well for the miners.

The BMA have shown their true colours in the firearms licensing debacle.

http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/home/finance-and-practice-life-news/gps-should-refuse-all-firearms-licence-requests-says-bma-in-u-turn/20032395.fullarticle

The BMA says that GPs should return the letter to the police without delay, telling them they are unable to do the work due to a lack of funding or for a conscientious objection to gun ownership.

Edited by BrowningB525

Its not a strike if the employer doesn't suffer any hardship as a result of the action. That's the reason why the whole thing is so ill judged. The NHS can sit back an wait for the doctors to burn themselves out and lose any support they may have had.

Its bye bye doctors

Its not a strike if the employer doesn't suffer any hardship as a result of the action. That's the reason why the whole thing is so ill judged. The NHS can sit back an wait for the doctors to burn themselves out and lose any support they may have had.

Its bye bye doctors

Strike : a period of time during which people refuse to work, as a protest about pay or conditions of work

Those "bye bye doctors" can move elsewhere to more lucrative jobs......