opinel knife rust

roadkill

I bought an opinel last month and today i got some worming liquid on it, so when i got home i washed it with water and left it to dry on the sink. Two hours later i go in and its covered in patches of rust! I have tried to scrubb it off but it has left dark marks on the blade...

I really didn't think it would rust that fast and how on earth do i get the blade back to its former shiny self??

cheers jamie

Non stainless steel gets for a much sharper blade, however it will tarnish easily. Don't even think of cutting an orange with it!

Mind you, it's 'patina' too, I've had an opinel is my back pocket since I'm about 11 years old, and my current one (a tiny model) is about +20y old and has been thru many adventures. Blade is definitely worn, and tarnished. Still sharp as ever with just a couple of passes on a stone.

if you find a "truley original Sabatier chefs knife...it will be dark grey and an edge like a razor................dont worry, its the way of the beast..all my opinals i took the varnish off and soaked in oil...and let it rust and just keep it clean..

Edited by ditchman

A carbon steel blade, when soaked in warm/hot solution of Citric Acid (food grade stuff from Chemist/H&B) until cools, will put a 'coating' on it which when air dried looks like matt black and will prevent rust forming. This coating doesnt wear off easily and can be redone as necessary.

Stain-less blades can be similarly treated as they are not truly rust resistant/proof.

A carbon steel blade, when soaked in warm/hot solution of Citric Acid (food grade stuff from Chemist/H&B) until cools, will put a 'coating' on it which when air dried looks like matt black and will prevent rust forming. This coating doesnt wear off easily and can be redone as necessary.

Stain-less blades can be similarly treated as they are not truly rust resistant/proof.

Is this method blood resistant as I find that tarnishes the steel after a night of cleaning and skinning rabbits or breasting birds

old cup 1 part molasses 9 parts watter leave it in it a day or so it will come up like brand new just rub off the qrange film that forms on the blade with a cloth and warm water lightly oil it and it will be fine, if They ever get stiff to open and close this method is a one stop solution they open and shut great after this.

The mind boggles who though up using this mix 1 part molasses 9 parts water

It removes all rust without any abrasion or metal wear, if you can try and take any light rust stains off the blades edge it wont even dull the edge of the knife, It lifts all rust from in the hinge area where it tends to bind on opinels, once you wipe off the desolved oxidisation from the blade you are left with vergin mettal and with no work and no abrassion of any kind.

Maxwell @ #8

My carbon steel one was 'dipped' after some rust started showing. I rubbed the rust down with a kitchen-greeny but not so as to remove the dark spots. Thereafter it has been good except where after a few months the plastic sheath rubbed the coating thin/off. Just repeated process this year - lasting about 2+ years.

My Mora knives are used for deer gralloching in the main with some rabbit work occassionally - havent noticed the bloods going through the coating.

PS - rem to degrease before dipping in the CA solution

Edited by Loki

Or just buy a decent knife?

Iv never understood the fascination with opinel.

Their only redeeming feature is they are cheap and easy to sharpen, so why worry if they rust?

A mate uses one, I remember him cleaning some rabbits with it.

The next time I saw it it looked like the blade had been acid etched.