Losing permission

rustybucket

Just found out I've lost my permission, I've been shooting there a couple of years with no problems but saw the landowners wife whilst I was waiting in hospital for a check up and got chatting and she was asking why I was in and I explained that I've been disabled for a number of years due to a problem with my nervous system next day I got a text of the landowner saying I wasn't allowed to shoot there any more. Now this is totally his choice and he decides who gets to shoot on his land, has anyone else had a problem like this before? Guess it's back to door knocking know to try and find somewhere else

Although the meeting with the farmer's wife and the text saying you're no longer welcome to shoot seem related, in reality they might not be.

If I were you I'd call the farmer, making it clear that you'll of course respect his wishes, but politely ask him why he's made the decision that he has. You never know, if it is something to do with your medical condition, with a bit of explanation and reassurance from yourself, you might get your permission back.

It can't hurt to tactfully ask.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

I spoke to him after he texted as I need to arrange as I have trail cams out and asked why I had lost it and he said he didn't want me on the land due to the nature of my disability, I asked if there was anything I could do to change his mind but alas he said no.

Nothing I can do about it and no point in feeling sorry for myself so it's time to go and try to source another permission

they might have gotten an end of a stick and thought that you were / are a nervous nutter and are going to go off the rails and go up there armed to the teeth. Or they might think that you are going to have an incident that might open them up to some sort of a claim or something for allowing you to be there knowing that you have a condition and armed . Who knows, I would get onto them because whats the worst that can happen ? they might even tell you that you cant shoot there any more. Sorry just read the above.

Edited by fortune

I thought it may be due to liability a offered to sign a waiver saying if I got hurt on his land it's my own fault and pointed out I've been disabled for the past 5 years and been shooting on his for 2 and a bit without incident but sadly there's no changing his mind, it's a crying shame as permissions in this neck of the wood are like rocking horse poo and this was a lovely 150 acres of lovely rabbit land

All a bit 'off' in my opinion and I'm sorry to hear it.

I thought it may be due to liability a offered to sign a waiver saying if I got hurt on his land it's my own fault and pointed out I've been disabled for the past 5 years and been shooting on his for 2 and a bit without incident but sadly there's no changing his mind, it's a crying shame as permissions in this neck of the wood are like rocking horse poo and this was a lovely 150 acres of lovely rabbit land

I'm sure if you wanted to you could take some action over disability discrimination rules but even if you won you wouldn't want to go there under that cloud I suspect

My partner said something similar but I have had over 2 years of free shooting and some of the best days I've had, I wouldnt want to leave on bad terms no matter how gutted I feel, as I said in the first post his land his choice

My partner said something similar but I have had over 2 years of free shooting and some of the best days I've had, I wouldnt want to leave on bad terms no matter how gutted I feel, as I said in the first post his land his choice

Very magnanimous of you, Im sure you will find somewhere soon, theres certainly nowt wrong with your character.

Good luck

I wouldn't worry about leaving on bad terms. They ain't got any concern for you and have taken no time to boot you up the rudder and ship You off out of it. Probably just been looking for an excuse to get you out. It might have occurred to them that they could turn it into a money earner by getting people in and paying loads. you gave them the out clause. I think that it is pretty much a case of excrement.

How nosey and downright rude really to be asking you 'what you're in for' in a hospital in the first place. I guess I many be a bit private but would neither ask nor want to speak to someone about any illness/condition I may have and very bad show how you've been treated if you ask me!

Unless of course, as said they wanted rid of you anyway (it doesn't sound like you'd given them any reason for that though).

I hate to sound harsh, but that's life. I have lost permission to shoot on land in the past, and have regained the permission later.

It's the decision of the farmer and I don't think any discrimination case would be entertained. It's not like you were employed by the farmer.

Edited by motty

I don't think I was booted out so he could lease the rights as hes repeatedly said he'd never lease them again after a syndicate screwed him.

As I've said I don't feel any ill will towards him, it's his land his choice I'm just a bit gutted, I think the main problem for me is when I got the land I stopped knocking

You could, if you wanted to, cause them all sorts of problems for this sort of discrimination.

It's no different to chucking you off because you were black.

However I would think once word got round, your chances of getting another permission would be zero.

It's the landowners land and I believe he can do what he wants! No contracts or anything so I fail to see how you can get them into problems?

Sorry OP to see about losing your permission, I hope you get another bit of land soon that will give you many more good memories! ATB

Edited by Jason_ox

Firstly let me say I'm very much in the "his land, his rules" camp.

Something rustybucket seems to feel as well. The fact he bears the landowner no ill, certainly makes him the better man.

There's no doubt discrimination occurred, did it break any actual laws? I don't know, but there are certainly plenty of people out there ready to be outraged who wouldn't rest until they they did.

It is discrimination but how you'd ever prosecute it in court I don't know! Honestly a big waste of time really, it's not going to get you your permission back.

What exactly is your condition mate ?

What did you tell the farmers wife ?

Lastly what exactly did the farmer say ?

All seems very strange to me...