Winter vomiting bug

Jaymo

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to visit a friend in hospital last week and they had signs up warning of a outbreak at the hospital .

They had put hand washing facilities and anti bacteria hand foam at the hospital entrance.

In the short time I was in that area I would guess no more that one in 50 people bothered to wash their hands going in or out.

I went to visit a friend in hospital last week and they had signs up warning of a outbreak at the hospital .

They had put hand washing facilities and anti bacteria hand foam at the hospital entrance.

In the short time I was in that area I would guess no more that one in 50 people bothered to wash their hands going in or out.

And that's why we struggle with hospital acquired infections. Annoys me the staff are blamed, it's the dirty public.

FACT-the hand washing of health professionals creates a residual barrier as it's done so often. It's the none compliant, touching doors, handrails etc

Norovirus sends shivers down my spine! Throwing up is a bit of a phobia for me. Dread it. Feel for you all.

A few years ago The Grand daughter brought it home from play school, wife whent to help them and then brought it home and we all got it. I would wish it on my worst enemy because I've never encounterd anything like it. We all lost most of the week and a lot of weight. It isnt much fun when several people are queing for the pan and vomiting in the sick and bath at the same time. I remember being on the kitchen floor at 3am with a severe cold sweat and crushing muscle pains from head to toe akin to being run over with a steamroller. no fun at all. Wire brush and detol time.

Edited by fortune

Bad hygienie doesn't help with the spread of these nasty bugs. More people need to regularly wash their hands or cover their mouth and nose when coughing and sneezing. Since I stopped commuting to London my sickness levels have dropped dramatically. My biggest annoyance is people that are obviously very ill but still travel on public transport spreading their dirty germs everywhere. Last year I had the vomit bug twice and plenty of colds. This year working from home just one cold!

A few years ago The Grand daughter brought it home from play school, wife whent to help them and then brought it home and we all got it. I would wish it on my worst enemy because I've never encounterd anything like it. We all lost most of the week and a lot of weight. It isnt much fun when several people are queing for the pan and vomiting in the sick and bath at the same time. I remember being on the kitchen floor at 3am with a severe cold sweat and crushing muscle pains from head to toe akin to being run over with a steamroller. no fun at all. Wire brush and detol time.

Reassuring. Thanks haha. I never eat with my hands when I'm out and about etc and avoid touching nose, eyes and mouth. Problem is when my 2 yr old puts her hand in my mouth when I'm holding her!

The thing that I have thought about this incident is that in the event of some sort of pandemic there would be little chance of avoiding it. I suppose this is why the so called Spanish flue of 1918 ish was reconed to have taken in the estimated region of 20 to 40 million people worldwide. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1918_flu_pandemic. The thing about our incident was that we had never heard of Noro virus or winter vomiting bug and when the wife came back home she wasn't coughing or sneezing and neither had the daughter or grand daughter had anything of this. The wife is a pretty clean washing hands sort of person and the thing that comes out of all of this is how virulent and contagious this bug is. Wifey came home and within a few hours of her getting back she had got it. Next day we had All got it. There was no coughing or sneezing involved just throwing up and violent hose pipe trots, along with severe muscle pain and general feeling of illness. All of us lost between 8 to 10 pounds and all of us were off work all week. it took several weeks to get back to the same level of how we were prior to this incident. Now that I have experience of this I would be more wary If I knew that someone had gotten a bug like this. Wifey would have been told to stay at the daughters but when she came home she didn't have any symptoms and it was just a case of helping out the daughter and granddaughter. All in all it was an inconvenience but if it had been a lethal pandemic then we would have been wiped out like when there was the plague or Spanish flue.

try to avoid handling notes (currency) and use coins instead...

the bug can live on paper notes for up to a week, the copper and nickle content of coinage will kill it within a couple of hours max.....

Yes copper is a known germ killer. Keep a small piece of copper pipe in your pocket and rub your hands on it :-)

Petrol pumps and cash machines gross me out the most.

Use them plastic diesel gloves free and disposable,use barrier creams and we also have hand wash germ killer liquid at work .500 people some of very dubious hygiene practices Using 2 toilets and 2 sinks =doom for many .Luckily my job involves gloves on all day ,gloves which get binned .My biggest danger range from 3 to 16 and go to school so 6 people are out to poison grandad with the help of 6000 :oops:

My eldest sons 4yr old has brought the bug home from nursery,

Now she's had it, dads had it and her year old brother has had it, :sick:

Touchwood, mum and baby (weeks old) are ok so far.

Wash wash wash, wipe door handles, loo handles and don't take any gaviscon!

We're a family of medical people, there is no immunity to be had, good hygiene can stop transfer.

try to avoid handling notes (currency) and use coins instead...

the bug can live on paper notes for up to a week, the copper and nickle content of coinage will kill it within a couple of hours max.....

Try going to Nigeria, they pee on their notes for good luck. :sick:

I don't see any germs living long there!

Current "copper" coins are plated steel, God only knows what they use for "silver".

But they'll be someone along soon enough to tell us.

Wash wash wash, wipe door handles, loo handles and don't take any gaviscon!

We're a family of medical people, there is no immunity to be had, good hygiene can stop transfer.

Just out of interest, why no gaviscon?

I personally don't suffer from the vommy bit, everything hits me downstairs.

And the last week, it's been downstairs all the way.

Just out of interest, why no gaviscon?

I personally don't suffer from the vommy bit, everything hits me downstairs.

And the last week, it's been downstairs all the way.

The first line of defence from gastrointestinal infection is the acidity in the gut, antacids reduce the acidity levels making you more susceptible.

It's a real problem with campylobacter, but there is evidence of this with other germs.

The first line of defence from gastrointestinal infection is the acidity in the gut, antacids reduce the acidity levels making you more susceptible.

It's a real problem with campylobacter, but there is evidence of this with other germs.

That's interesting because I heard that the more alkaline your body is the less the germs like it.

I read that drinking diluted cider vinegar which turns to an alkaline once inside you can help (don't know if it's true) stopping you get it.