Second hand watches

Lloyd90

I would rather have a nice watch than kids......blooming awful things

:shaun:

Especially as the cost of kids tends to preclude the purchase of decent watches.

And they have little second hand value

Yep I didn't get a bean for my kids when they left home in fact I had to give them away. Seeing as they were all girls.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In case my comments were misconstrued I don't dislike Rolex but just don't really fancy buying cheap used ones and the dearer ones just have that little bit of overt brashness to them, for me, and besides I just don't rate the looks, same with Breitlings which I find rather average looking for the money.

Yep I didn't get a bean for my kids when they left home in fact I had to give them away. Seeing as they were all girls.

You're damn lucky you didn't have to pay a dowry!

Recently bought a birthday card for my son-in-law. On the outside it said, "We were going to get you something expensive for your birthday." On the inside it said, "But then we realised you already had our daughter."

Personally I went from looking at Rolexes and Omegas and more or less narrowed down my interest into more vintage pieces. The only down side is that they are generally quite small in comparison to modern watches; however you can find really cool ones! As a nerd, I bough my 'go to' watch last year for less than 1K. Solid 18k gold, one of the very first electronic watches (predating quartz) with a tuning fork movement -- same movement that was in the equipment in the Apollo missions.

Basically, pure nerd p0rn; Bulova Accutron Spaceview from 1964:

_57-8.JPG

Edited by buze

Buze that accutron is a nice price of watchmaking history and being solid gold I can see why you would buy it. For under a Grand I think it's worth it.

Been looking at some of the very good looking copies on the link on this thread, that's more my kind of thing.All the looks of the watch you would choose without the hefty price tag.

Buze that accutron is a nice price of watchmaking history and being solid gold I can see why you would buy it. For under a Grand I think it's worth it.

Been looking at some of the very good looking copies on the link on this thread, that's more my kind of thing.All the looks of the watch you would choose without the hefty price tag.

+1 that is my kinda second hand. There's something about leather straps too.

I can see the attraction of investing in something with a world wide rep and is only ever going to increase in value and fashion is a personnel thing.

I have several watches only wear for special occasions,couldnt wear at work as they just get scratched,beside i start when i get there,eat when hungry and leave when i finish.

I have some stunning watches in my watch list on the bay all from china ranging from £1.99 / £24.99,looked at thousands and picked these four :lol:

+1 that is my kinda second hand. There's something about leather straps too.

Now I'm not a fan of leather straps due the Seiko World Timer I bought, (mentioned above)

I wore it as an everyday watch apart from work, (I have never worn a watch at work) so over the years as you can imagine the strap had got quite sweaty at times,

I had come in from a Friday night out and no sooner had I got in my bedroom that the leather strap had just given way and it fell on the floor (I had never noticed it perishing),

Now it was insured so would had claimed if I had lost it, but what if I had still been in the crowded pub when It perished, I would never had felt it go, so since then I have always had a bracelet/clasp type strap,

:shaun:

@Lloyd90, you can enjoy it for quite a while, with a few accessories!

The SKS Seikos are hightly modable. There's a few shops online that will allow you to buy crystals, fces, hands, inserts and anything else for pretty cheap.

Here's mine; 007 with replacement double-domed saphire crystal with AR, and and replacement bezel insert. Oh there's the new clear back and leather strap too.. all of that for perhaps $70

_1010344.jpg

@Lloyd90, you can enjoy it for quite a while, with a few accessories!

The SKS Seikos are hightly modable. There's a few shops online that will allow you to buy crystals, fces, hands, inserts and anything else for pretty cheap.

Here's mine; 007 with replacement double-domed saphire crystal with AR, and and replacement bezel insert. Oh there's the new clear back and leather strap too.. all of that for perhaps $70

_1010344.jpg

What shops are they Buze?

I do like the Seikos, last year I got a Seiko 007 and have worn it almost everyday since :)

1EE7A3B5-D0E2-4388-8435-58D1557388D9_zps

All 3 of my boys each got a Seiko on entering secondary (big school).

All of the watches have faired pretty well.

And option for sapphire crystal glass would have been nice as they do scratch up, well in the hands of teenagers they do.

My longines has sapphire glass, I'm surprised how hardy it is.

All 3 of my boys each got a Seiko on entering secondary (big school).

All of the watches have faired pretty well.

And option for sapphire crystal glass would have been nice as they do scratch up, well in the hands of teenagers they do.

Here you go: http://www.dagazwatch.com/apps/webstore/products/category/29032

Takes about 10 to 15 minutes the first time you change the crystal; it's actually pretty easy, and it's cheap!

Ha Ha pie written on the back of your hand priceless :lol:

Vampire no good saying you have picked four watches and not tell us all what they are.

It says "write reflective pieces" 😂

Why would I want to write a reflective pie lol, it would just tell me I'm a fat ******* 😂😂👍🏻

Have you seen the Titan black Milgaus? OMG that is stunning!http://titanblack.co.uk/collection/rolex/rolex-milgauss

Envy is my favourite mmmmmmmmm

Mmmmmmmm

I'm with you the Envy is very nice.

Now I will have to sell my Omega Ocean Planet or a kidney and I really like my Ocean Planet, my kidney I'm not so bothered about.

Interesting thread, I have just been given a small inheritance and thought a nice watch would be a good way of remembering the person.

Not into flashy watches, current watch is on my phone :lol: so the watch would probably stay locked away for use on special occasions.

I quite fancy this https://www.christopherward.co.uk/watches/aviation/c8-power-reserve-chronometer-range but an Omega Seamaster would be also good.

Rolex is out of the price range, anyone heard of Christopher Ward?

Edited by Laird Lugton

Interesting thread, I have just been given a small inheritance and thought a nice watch would be a good way of remembering the person.

Not into flashy watches, current watch is on my phone :lol: so the watch would probably stay locked away for use on special occasions.

I quite fancy this https://www.christopherward.co.uk/watches/aviation/c8-power-reserve-chronometer-range but an Omega Seamaster would be also good.

Rolex is out of the price range, anyone heard of Christopher Ward?

@Laird to be fair -- I'm not a watch snob at all - I have stuff from £5K down to 10 quid, and wear them all! - but as much as CW does give quite a bit of watch for the money, it's not really a 'traditional' brand. Mind you, I'm REALLY not a snob, but in your particular shoes, I'd try to pick a date that is significant related to your relative, and pick a nice watch from /that/ year instead of a new watch.... I'm sure you'll find hundreds...

There's something for everybody in the second-hand market. I think vintage watches are both better value and less likely to be counterfeit.

However, owners run the risk to channelling the Essex publican vibe: an old gold chronometer to go with the old Merc/Jag in the golf club car park...

I have a Submariner that will see me out: over twenty years old and as good as new. I fancy a pocket watch and full Albert chain for black & white tie events - perhaps I'll look on the sites mentioned above.