Christmas Came Early

kippylawkid

I received a call earlier this week from the farm manager of a local estate asking if I'd stopped shooting pigeons? I'd discounted this estate from my recces as they normally only allow pigeons shooting after the pheasants are done. However, they have a wild bird set-aside field that had been drawing "quite a few" birds and his boss wanted them moved on. This lad knows his onions and I knew there must be a good show. I went for a look on Tuesday and was astonished to see literally thousands of pigeons using the field. There is a sea of rape in the area but they obviously preferred this restaurant. I watched the lines for a good 2 hours and sussed out the likely hide positions. I couldn't shoot until Thursday but could relax, knowing that no other shooter would be allowed on. After a couple of very sleepless nights, I was set up at first light on the top ridge of the field. As it was the shortest day, I wanted to optimise every possible minute. I was nicely sheltered by some blackthorns with a strong s/w wind to my back. This position commanded the field and the decoys would be visible from the 2 main lines. I started with the whirly, 2 flappers and 15 shell decoys. After a slow start I shot my first bird at 8.45, and then a continuous line of birds came to the field. They would not fully decoy though, and I shot 10 in about an hour, having seen thousands on the line. Then, it began to change as the return flight developed and the birds began to present decent shooting opportunities. Wave after wave of packs of pigeons, numbering anything from 20 to 200 came to the field, presenting every shot in the book. I can only describe it as like being on a very busy pheasant peg and struggling to load in time for the next shot. The birds never totally committed to the decoys, possibly because of the tall crop; but they came close enough to give me some breath-taking sport. This continued until 2.15 when all went quiet and I began to pick up. I had pigeons all over the estate and my young dog Stan worked his socks off to pick umpteen birds I would otherwise have lost. I picked a hugely satisfying 220. Probably the best days pigeon shooting I've had. The birds were in good condition with a thick layer of fat on their breasts. The pictures are of Stan and some of the bag as I was in a hurry to complete before darkness set in. I must have been a very good boy this year! Merry Christmas!

post-305-0-28835800-1482524657_thumb.jpg

post-305-0-19395300-1482524942_thumb.jpg