Springer advice

spready

Im looking to get myself a decent springer to just use as a back up when I can't use my larger calibre guns. I've always had PCP air rifles from the R10, Hw100 and pretty much all the Daystates which I've sold to fund different projects. originally had a BSA lightning and gold star MANY years ago. what I'm wondering would a top end springer be as useful out to say 50 yards as a PCP? I've always fancied the TX200HC or Prosport , just wondered what your views are ?

I had a weirach hw97kt. Was pretty effective out the box. Plenty of the lads on here have had them tuned and swear by their performance.

Only thing I disliked about the hw97, was the synthetic stock weighed as absolute tonne.

Other than that, faultless. They do shoot very different to a pcp though and take some practice to perfect.

Have a TX200HV and I am very pleased with it, but the 53 magpies I have shot with it hate it. The only problem I came up against was getting my big arthritic fingers in the hole to put in the pellet, but I have solved this by making a loading devise which I plan to have a few made in the new year. Some people complain about the Bear Trap but I have not found it a problem. The TX200 IS HEAVY so if your looking to walk and stalk maybe not the one. Sitting in ambush it is excellent.

Shot Airguns for 40+ years and tried just about every gun out there (minus anything from BSF) but the one maker I would 100% recommend is Air Arms - nothing has come close (so far) and I use my S410 at least 4 times a week - Never falters and I have total faith in AA products, had the TX and still have a S200 as a spare.

If your , going to cover a few miles, climbing over a few Styles, get a gun who's light weight

and accuracy will provide many smiles.

HW95K all day every day, :good:

Absolutely agree. Had the 97 and the tx both very accurate but the tx wipes the face off the 97. I have the 95k now and it's a light stunningly accurate rifle. Fitted with a custom stock, cs700 thumbole, it is a gorgeous rifle.

Bruno.

I've had them all , and the TX is a great gun , no arguments there. But for me , it was too heavy, and to fiddly to load , with cold fingers on a dark night,

The 95k's that I own , have definitely benefited from a Delrin drop in kit and a well finished Titan xs spring.(less than £40.00)

But , once sorted as above I am more than happy to hunt with either .22 or .177.

I have pcp's , both FAC and sub 12. but a well sorted springer to me, has more 'soul', when shot well.

Good luck with your quest for a decent spring gun. Just consider where its going to be used.

Out with the S410 this afternoon following a txt yesterday informing me that 2 particular feeders were being heavily used - both 90% takes in 3 days. Arrived at first feeder just after 2:30 and shot 3 in 25 minutes before kids wandered into the woods and I made a discreet exit. Onto 2nd feeder, where 3 had been reported feeding earlier in the day, and shot 2 more within 10 minutes of each other after a half hour wait - a third legged it when he saw my rifle moving - despite being cold (car said 2 deg.) and thick fog they are feeding well at the moment. The second 2 were taken from a small copse less than 50 yards long and about the same width - that 2 makes a total of 9 from this one tiny wood in the last month!! Apologies to OP for wandering off topic a little.

Edited by bruno22rf

We are not allowed to shoot them anywhere but actually on the feeders (we can take occasional shots close to the feeders but at our discretion and with the utmost caution)- the feeders have a steel plate about a foot square behind them and this is the shooting point designated by the owners H&S team. It's actually practically armchair shooting - I get a weekly txt that lets me know which of the 40 odd feeders are being used the most and when they will be refilled - I then simply cherry pick the best and sit and wait for the show to begin.