Brexit Supreme Court Ruling - Merged Threads

guest1957

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does this not defeat the whole point of the referendum?

Should the legal side not been put in place before the vote was taken so u didn't have this fiasco and wot ever the result was would be abided by

Now 6 months later and no one has a clue wt their doing.

This time of indecision could be costing the country a lot of money

None of us know, but we can all make an educated guess; my best guess is an attempt to derail/delay.

However, my inner pedant understands the principles of the challenge.

As well as causing volatility on the currency / stock markets which she will be making a mint on. Win win for her and her secret faceless 'backers'

disgraceful decision, considering the government pamphlet clearly stated they would carry out our wishes, don't give me all this, 'oh, but it will walk through parliament nonsense', we shouldn't be here 7 months on, its weakness on a massive scale by a prime minister who was after all a big remainer. Had she invoked the next day, we wouldn't have heard of this little bitch miller.

the enemies of the referendum result just became emboldened even more.

terrible :no::no::no:

Or rather than slate the poor woman consider this.

Had Cameron or May triggered Article 50 immediately, bearing in mind now that we know the Royal Prerogative they would have used, has been ruled inadmissible in this scenario, imagine the utter mess we and Europe would be in had someone challenged a sole decision by the PM in both the European and UK Supreme courts? Years and years of legal wrangling.

If you read up about this second legal decision by the Supreme Court, it has actually made it easier for the government to legally start the process in 2 ways:

1. It has not allowed the dissolved parliaments to have a separate say

2. It has not stated any binding conditions to how and what the deal may be

It only says there must be a yes or No vote in parliament - thus effectively pulling the rug away from any dissenting MPs. That is why the government went back for an appeal.

In one neat move Gina Millar has enabled T May to side step most of the delaying tactics that were likely to have come out of the woodwork.

Whatever her real motives were, Gina Millar has given T May a much clearer run at Brexit.

Edited by MrM

disgraceful decision, considering the government pamphlet clearly stated they would carry out our wishes, don't give me all this, 'oh, but it will walk through parliament nonsense', we shouldn't be here 7 months on, its weakness on a massive scale by a prime minister who was after all a big remainer. Had she invoked the next day, we wouldn't have heard of this little bitch miller.

the enemies of the referendum result just became emboldened even more.

terrible :no::no::no:

It's not a "disgraceful decision", it's the right decision. It's not about whether britain leaves the EU or not, it's about proper parliamentary procedure. Read the preceding posts.

I'm fed up of having to listen to / read the grumblings of people who seem incapable of understanding this.

It's not a "disgraceful decision", it's the right decision. It's not about whether britain leaves the EU or not, it's about proper parliamentary procedure. Read the preceding posts.

I'm fed up of having to listen to / read the grumblings of people who seem incapable of understanding this.

no, you read the multi million pound pamphlet that came through your door, it is not the right decision, you dident know any of this nonsense was around the corner when you put your x in the box, you were exactly like me,

I am fed up with people like you, who make out you were enlightened all along, not even the bloody prime minister knew this was coming.

In a purely legal sense, the EU doesn't.

Are you joking?

The EU does not ride roughshod over our laws ?

You do live in the UK I presume?

We have those 1000 year old laws you mentioned,but EU law can override any of them, if it deems it fit to do so.

And it has done on a regular basis.

I dont know if youve noticed the EUs attacks lately on private firearm ownership?

Or the constant battle to deport dangerous foreign criminals,or to be able to bar entry to dangerous foreign criminals.

Weights and measures ?

The majority of the people want out the EU ,the government has to facilitate that, or face the wrath of those people.

What part of that do you not understand?

Say what you like about Gina Miller, she had the cajones to take this all the way, putting up with some pretty vitriolic abuse from both the press and public alike. Whilst not keen on her agenda, I have to admire her desire to ensure that the correct Parliamentary process was followed.

I would be interested to know who her financial backers are though and why they want to remain in the shadows

She has a pretty good track record in the past, campaigning over pensions and mis-selling but she obviously enjoys the limelight and I don't think we have heard the last of her

Edited by Vince Green

no, you read the multi million pound pamphlet that came through your door, it is not the right decision, you dident know any of this nonsense was around the corner when you put your x in the box, you were exactly like me,

I am fed up with people like you, who make out you were enlightened all along, not even the bloody prime minister knew this was coming.

Well, you're quite wrong, in that I didn't read ANY of the pamphlets that came through my door.

But you ARE right in saying that I was exactly like you in that I didn't know what nonsense was round the corner.

You're even more right in saying that not even the Prime Minister knew what was coming, and that's the whole problem - the then Prime Minister, David Cameron, undertook to consult the electorate of this country on continuing or discontinuing membership of the EU and he was so smugly confident of getting a resounding "Yes, let's stay " vote that no-one in government bothered their backside to consider what would have to be done in the event of a "No, let's get out" vote.

And that's why David Cameron baled out, why the country is being led by a Prime Minister who was a remainer but now says that she's seen the light (or just wants to continue in office, and to hell with principle), and why six months on the goverment doesn't really have a plan. In fact the government is probably secretly very grateful for the Supreme Court ruling because it has afforded it a breathing space that it can blame someone else for.

And in conclusion, I've never claimed to have been "enlightened all along". All I was doing was pointing out that the Supreme Court's decision is based on upholding proper procedure, but that you - amongst others - seem to have some difficulty in understanding and accepting that. Try. It's not difficult.

Edited by aldivalloch

Like your good self, and I would suggest the vast majority of the UK public were the same, I was totally ignorant of the mechanism of how we would leave the EU. However since then I have taken the opportunity to enlighten myself with the process.

I'm guessing you didn't read the rest of my post after the line Poor Woman, where I explain how she has actually helped the situation, in my opinion granted, based on some research.

May I respectfully suggest you do as well, and then perhaps we can have a sensible and informed debate around the issue?

Edited by MrM

She should have known this was coming. Read section 5 of this: http://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/CBP-7212/CBP-7212.pdf

Are you joking?

The EU does not ride roughshod over our laws ?

You do live in the UK I presume?

We have those 1000 year old laws you mentioned,but EU law can override any of them, if it deems it fit to do so.

And it has done on a regular basis.

I dont know if youve noticed the EUs attacks lately on private firearm ownership?

Or the constant battle to deport dangerous foreign criminals,or to be able to bar entry to dangerous foreign criminals.

Weights and measures ?

The majority of the people want out the EU ,the government has to facilitate that, or face the wrath of those people.

What part of that do you not understand?

The lack of understanding is entirely yours. The primacy of EU law was authorised by our sovereign parliament. The EU was not, therefore 'riding roughshod'.

What Theresa May was trying to do was make a power grab for the executive and ignore the will of our sovereign parliament and our constitutional laws. Entirely different.

Also, you haven't explicitly said it, but it looks as though you aren't aware of the role of the ECtHR and how that has nothing to do with the EU or Brexit...

Like your good self, and I would suggest the vast majority of the UK public were the same, I was totally ignorant of the mechanism of how we would leave the EU. However since then I have taken the opportunity to enlighten myself with the process.

I'm guessing you didn't read the rest of my post after the line Poor Woman, where I explain how she has actually helped the situation, in my opinion granted, based on some research.

May I respectfully suggest you do as well, and then perhaps we can have a sensible and informed debate around the issue?

nah, tired of debating, tired of listening, tired of lies, tired of chancers, I know the whole script to every argument and debate, been listening for 20 years, to say this woman has helped, is beyond laughable, the referendum was to end all of this, but its the beginning all over.

+1

come on then, tell us the next step then, do you really believe we will be invoking by march, cant you see its all being done to scupper leaving.

Try, its not diffifcult.

I'm assuming that this post is aimed at me.

I'm afraid that I can't tell you what the next step will be. I've never claimed to know.

Why don't you contact your MP and ask him or her, instead of misinterpreting my posts?

I see in a subsequent post of yours, not addressed to me, that you "know the whole script to every argument and debate, been listening for twenty years". May I suggest, with all due respect, that the content of some of your posts strongly suggests that you've been wasting your time as your capacities to understand a simple principle and stick to the thread of a debate don't seem very well developed.

I can't quite believe how stupid Gina Miller and the likes of Nick Clegg are. At the end of the day, the people voted and Theresa May has staked her future on delivering the will of the people. Do they honestly fancy their chances of bringing down the Government - because that is what is at stake. I seriously question the motives of these halfwits. It certainly isn't protecting democracy.

Any politician dragging their feet will feel the wrath of an electorate, who are determined to be heard.

I can't quite believe how stupid Gina Miller and the likes of Nick Clegg are. At the end of the day, the people voted and Theresa May has staked her future on delivering the will of the people. Do they honestly fancy their chances of bringing down the Government - because that is what is at stake. I seriously question the motives of these halfwits. It certainly isn't protecting democracy.

Any politician dragging their feet will feel the wrath of an electorate, who are determined to be heard.

Gordon, they are desperate to REMAIN and will apparently use any and all delaying tactics!

this ruling, has meant we now go to the next level of attempted subversion, who is this woman really? who has put her up to this?

I bet there is no brexit one year from today.

I thought you said you were tired of debating - oh sorry, you just like making spurious statements... :rolleyes:

Edited by MrM