Opening out fixed chokes,

redial

If it's a cheap gun then just cut 1/2" at a time off the barrel till you get the choke you want - shorter tubes are better for skeet as well.

Just out on interest how would you do that, what would you use to do it? Sure I remember seeing it done to a purdey once on the Sweeney!

Edited by Wingman

Just use a regular hacksaw and then file the ends up, fill the gaps on the bead ends with epoxy filler and drill and refit the front sight. I done a SxS years ago and cut all the choke out for my wife and young nephew to use.

Just make sure to stay longer than 24" though reading guidelines that minimum barrel length appears to only affect semi autos.

Just make sure to stay longer than 24" though reading guidelines that minimum barrel length appears to only affect semi autos.

I think this is a misunderstanding if you don't mind me saying so. You can't have a smoothbore gun with under 24" barrel except on a FAC.

Cheers

If it's a cheap gun then just cut 1/2" at a time off the barrel till you get the choke you want - shorter tubes are better for skeet as well.

Sounds a bit drastic :no:. A whole lot easier approach is a brake hone as for wheel cylinders with a set of medium grit stones. I customize my screw in tubes for waterfowl and other needs that can benefit by a particular constriction. You can cut .005 out of a tube in 10-15 minutes. BUT you can't put it back so go slow.

I actually prefer longer barrels for all shooting as I tend to swing through better than a shorter barrel.

On the other hand, coyotemaster, who doesn't have a hacksaw? How many people have a brake honing kit in their handbag? plus he wants it for skeet where short barrels are common...win, win as far as I can see. :yes:

I don't mean to offend Bruno but with the hacksaw you go from choked to cylinder bore in the width of your thumb, give or take depending on the manufacturers methods. A brake hone is a relatively inexpensive bit of kit as you say there and is easily acquired. It likely costs the same as a hacksaw but is much more controllable.

As for barrel length I guess it is personal preference, I used to shoot short barrels at everything but have found longer barrels swing better and the only place I could see their advantage is in a thicket where a longer barrel would be entangled easier. If the gun is premounted as many do in skeet it becomes a non issue. I personally shoot a 28" tube at skeet and start from a low(ready) position to enable more practice in a proper mount when the bird appears.My scores don't seem to suffer from the additional 2" barrel length and at stations 3-5 may actually help keep the gun swinging.

Put the hacksaws away boys get it done properly typical pigeon watch gunsmith's replays on how to ruin a gun