Shed

steve_b_wales

You can but I'm not sure why there is any benefit as any water running off the shed that gets in will sit against the wood keeping it wet. Best thing under a shed is gravel. Water can drain away from the timbers. You could get some sacrificial pressure treated timber to lay down first to put your shed on, then when that eventually rots you can replace it before it rots your shed timbers.

Just thinking some DENSO tape stapled over the wood where it meets the breeze blocks would work as the grease will protect the timber.

Edited by figgy

I never worry about damp proof material, as long as the base has a very slight fall the floor bearers usually last as long as the rest of the shed.

I recently put up one of those plastic sheds made by Keter- 8x6 cost the client £549, have to say I was really impressed 👍 although I do supply and erect timber sheds - I will be offering the plastic option in future.

I never worry about damp proof material, as long as the base has a very slight fall the floor bearers usually last as long as the rest of the shed.

I recently put up one of those plastic sheds made by Keter- 8x6 cost the client £549, have to say I was really impressed although I do supply and erect timber sheds - I will be offering the plastic option in future.

Matt I was in one in Costco a large one had quite a bit of sag in the roof panels and some gaps. Would you pick one over a timber shed of similar cost.

Matt I was in one in Costco a large one had quite a bit of sag in the roof panels and some gaps. Would you pick one over a timber shed of similar cost.

Tbh In store display models of anything aren't often the best examples 🤔 the 8x4 I put up had steel box section running the length of the roof panel on the inside, I honestly couldn't see that sagging, RE:gaps- not on the one I assembled, but to assemble correctly you do need a good pair of swan neck pliers as the plastic screw bolts are HUGE,about an inch thread 😮 and the last bit of winding in and pulling panels together does take a bit of grunt. Yes I would honestly recommend them over it's wooden alternative because - never needs felting,treating, has internal guttering with leaf guards, central roof lights, fantastic base/floor panels, a right clever thing, and came with a 10 year guarantee 😎 I'll try and post a picture up......

Looks like a good shed for their garden, my parents have a Keter and my dad's not that impressed with it, thinks it's not same qaulity as Costco one. Keter are not cheap though I looked at wooden sheds with 10yr warranty some are half the cost but will need treating every year, then saw Absco zincalume metal sheds with 30yr warranty no need to treat or maintain them. I have a gap at side of house to fence I want to put a shed in upto 12' long but can't get 8' wide in. So 6' to7' not much choice unless I go small like 8x6. Nearly all plastic and metal are wrong way doors on the wide side and not the end.

I have a keter 6x4 for my mobility scooter. Had it 4 years now and still looks like new.

We are putting a reverse apex wooden shed up in the woodland from Brieley sheds,that will be stood on breezeblock, with larch sleepers on the breezeblock.

We have a had a wooden shed in the garden on these for 15 years now and its base is still sound.

The other advantage is the terrier and the cats can get underneath to see off any vermin.

Edited by loriusgarrulus

Just asked my wife about a big wooden shed, she said I already have one. She says when God was giving out heads I thought he said sheds and asked for a big wooden one.

Think I'll be going for a plastic one for ease of maintainance.

Anyone use old railway sleepers for shed bases as they're well treated and should give good clearance like breeze blocks.

This is the 8x6

Bolted down to the paved base.

Looks very smart Matt. I need a new shed 10x12 to go next to my existing wooden one. I looked at the plastic ones as I think ultimately they will be better but think I will have to go with wood.

Looks very smart Matt. I need a new shed 10x12 to go next to my existing wooden one. I looked at the plastic ones as I think ultimately they will be better but think I will have to go with wood.

Yes they are a breath of fresh air in terms of appearance, but they are not for everyone. I'm sure what ever you choose you'll love and adorn with man stuff😉

Went to Costco for another look at the Keter Oakland at the price they are delivered for 11'5" x8' it's not for me, the one I looked at the base had cracks in and some of the metal frame the screws had popped out leaving the frame free. Granted it wil get a fair few people looking at it but still should hold up better than it has.

Wife is now looking at sodding log cabin with side porch type shed summer houses :no: only started looking at a shed for for garden furniture cushions etc. Now it's a lifestyle garden building to be admired and hold parties in, not a man cave with tools and man toys.

I'm going to purchase a wooden shed soon. It will stand on some breezeblocks to raise it off the floor. (patio slabs) Could I put some DPM on the breezeblocks to form a barrier between them and the wood?

Nail dpm to the bottom of the shed bearers and make sure the area underneath cannot get clogged up with anything that starts the rot cycle by contact or not letting air flow through.

Went to Costco for another look at the Keter Oakland at the price they are delivered for 11'5" x8' it's not for me, the one I looked at the base had cracks in and some of the metal frame the screws had popped out leaving the frame free. Granted it wil get a fair few people looking at it but still should hold up better than it has.

Wife is now looking at sodding log cabin with side porch type shed summer houses :no: only started looking at a shed for for garden furniture cushions etc. Now it's a lifestyle garden building to be admired and hold parties in, not a man cave with tools and man toys.

That's gonna cost you, we were at a garden centre the other day, about 2 grand one we looked at, we were only looking out of curiosity thankfully