Doctors Surgery receptionists

Davyo

When she asked "whats wrong", i said "i have a problem with my ****.She then said "you shouldn't of said that in a full waiting room".I said "but you did insist i tell you", she said "ok, but you could of said you have a problem with you ear or something"

"Ok can we start again, i have a problem with my ear"

she asked "whats wrong with your ear"

?"

I said !"i cant **** out of it"

Brilliant just showed it the wife and she nearly wet herself

When my doctors receptionist asked me if it was urgent I replied " I was hoping the doctor would be able to tell me ". There is always a notice in the surgery saying how many appointments had been missed on a monthly basis . I asked the receptionist how many patients had been seen on time .

Harnser

Don't worry, when they start charging for appointments you will be able to get one whenever you like. Worth a tenner for that alone

As long as it's the doctor I want to see Vince, and not some locum that doesn't give a **** i'll be happy to pay it to!

Just having a log on does not make you authorised to view all data.

Each and every access of data must be for a specific purpose..... she cannot go on a fishing expedition to look up medical notes for no good reason.

https://ico.org.uk/action-weve-taken/enforcement/sally-anne-day/

Some examples taken from the information commissioner website

I still think that Ms Sally Anne Day must have done something to draw that prosecution like repeat information on facebook or what ever. Now the information is all up on screen even low grade clerical temps have to go into patient records to get addresses, details of next of kin, carers etc every time they send out appointment letters. Referral letters they cut and paste whole histories

I am not trying to say they are accessing the information for illegal purposes, what I am saying is its all up there for anybody to see. There is no level one, level two etc for access. A temp can get into all the same records as a consultant

What is potentially more damaging?

I still think that Ms Sally Anne Day must have done something to draw that prosecution like repeat information on facebook or what ever. Now the information is all up on screen even low grade clerical temps have to go into patient records to get addresses, details of next of kin, carers etc every time they send out appointment letters. Referral letters they cut and paste whole histories

I am not trying to say they are accessing the information for illegal purposes, what I am saying is its all up there for anybody to see. There is no level one, level two etc for access. A temp can get into all the same records as a consultant

What is potentially more damaging?

I struggle to see that anyone can access all system but then again I have no knowledge of NHS data systems or their licence levels for access.

Our systems require users to have a licence for each system.A person without that licence wouldnt even have that part of the system available when they log in.Access can only be achieved if you have been given the licence but any unauthorised or no business reason access even by the licence holder would lead to disciplinary procedures.

Our systems force you to click OK on a data protection statement before you load any systems up.It basically reminds you of that any access to personal data or confidential Government I formation without a business reason will lead to disciplinary conduct that could result in dismissal and prosecution.

I retire in October and my licences will probably be removed in August.When I log on to my system all the programs that I once held licence for will no longer be there.

Edited by Davyo

You may find the appointments for the online service are loaded at 4PM (ours are) and then only a certain amount - try logging on just after 4.

If i am ill i will see whoever is available, i am lucky i dont have a long term or multiple health issues so its not as important to see the same person

Standard policy at our local surgery. 1/ you ring and describe your symptoms to the receptionist. 2/ She (invariably) relays your description to the Doctor over the next couple of hours. 3/ If the Doctor thinks you need to be seen going by the description given, he (or she) rings you for a more accurate description. 4/ If the doctor thinks that you deserve an appointment he relays the message to the receptionist and invites you to ring said receptionist to arrange an appointment. If the doctor thinks that your symptoms are not serious then no call or further contact is made. Simples :no:

Soon to be come a thing of the past anyway.

If I need to go to the quack I can book online, sign in at the touchscreen at reception door on arrival and go straight to my doctors waiting room.

Our rural doctors has been like this for years,they reckon the screen is where you pick all the germs up.

I struggle to see that anyone can access all system but then again I have no knowledge of NHS data systems or their licence levels for access.

Our systems require users to have a licence for each system.A person without that licence wouldnt even have that part of the system available when they log in.Access can only be achieved if you have been given the licence but any unauthorised or no business reason access even by the licence holder would lead to disciplinary procedures.

Our systems force you to click OK on a data protection statement before you load any systems up.It basically reminds you of that any access to personal data or confidential Government I formation without a business reason will lead to disciplinary conduct that could result in dismissal and prosecution.

I retire in October and my licences will probably be removed in August.When I log on to my system all the programs that I once held licence for will no longer be there.

I can now actually give you proof that clerical staff have access to all my records. Last week I had a blood test, today I phoned up for the results. The receptionist asked for my DOB then my address. Short pause and she said "yes they are fine" remembering this topic I asked her how she knew. She said because the results are in black, if they were abnormal they would be in red. So I asked "and that's my actual records you are looking at now?" she said "yes"

Edited by Vince Green

I can now actually give you proof that clerical staff have access to all my records. Last week I had a blood test, today I phoned up for the results. The receptionist asked for my DOB then my address. Short pause and she said "yes they are fine" remembering this topic I asked her how she knew. She said because the results are in black, if they were abnormal they would be in red. So I asked "and that's my actual records you are looking at now?" she said "yes"

Yeah but she has a business reason to be in your records.The big question in this topic (although how the topic turned to data security I have no idea) is UNAUTHORISED ACCESS.

Yeah but she has a business reason to be in your records.The big question in this topic (although how the topic turned to data security I have no idea) is UNAUTHORISED ACCESS.

I have never once mentioned unauthorised access, you were the only one that kept banging on about that saying you have to have something called a licence or you would be sacked on the spot, which clearly doesn't apply to the NHS. All I said was everybody sees everything because most of the work and the day to day updating of records and results is done by clerical staff. Many of whom now are now temps.

You don't think the doctors sit and type it all in themselves do you?

Edited by Vince Green

In France your first port of call is normally the Pharmacist and he/she does a lot of the antibiotics, blood pressure type things without recourse to seeing a doctor.

I am on a medication that I will be on for the rest of my life. Why do I have to keep going back to my doctor for repeat precriptions? why not just give me some sort of permit to buy? the tablets would only cost me £3.75 a month and I would be happy to pay that to avoid the hassle. Its something I can buy over the counter in most European Countries anyway.

The reason is because the doctor gets paid an amount for every prescription they issue and everyone (except a complete moron) must realise that is just a licence to print money for the doctor.

Similarly, the pharmacist gets paid per prescription, does anybody see a pattern emerging here?

Then they wonder why the NHS is going down the pan, never got enough money

Edited by Vince Green

I have never once mentioned unauthorised access, you were the only one that kept going on about that saying you have to have something called a licence or you would be sacked on the spot, which clearly doesn't apply to the NHS. All I said was everybody sees everything because most of the work and the day to day updating of records and results is done by clerical staff. Many of whom now are now temps.

No but you typed this 'My ex wife worked in the NHS. She could look anybody's notes up and often did just to be nosey! She wasn't even on the medical side'

I'd classify 'just being nosey" as Unauthorised Access & data miss use.I believe the attached link covers all UK NHS staff including University hospitals.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.ed.ac.uk/files/imports/fileManager/nhs-it-security-declaration.doc&ved=0ahUKEwiJwcvzpZ7UAhWqIMAKHYKOBggQFggrMAU&usg=AFQjCNFZbWDx7OAHEk914kK4tBqjOkgIaA

Edited by Davyo