Holiday reading

AVB

Books I am reading whilst sunning myself in the Algarve.

Worms to catch - Guy Martin.

I found this more interesting than his first book. A lot of the book is about the Tour Divide mountain bike 'race'. 2,700 miles along the great divide from Canada to the Mexico border, whilst sleeping rough. He did it in 19 days which is very respectable considering that the record is 13 days and 19 days was the record only 5 years ago. An easy read.

Soldier Spy - Tom Marcus

This is a supposedly true story of an MI5 agent. It's a captivating read but I just have doubts over how much of it is true. Apparently it was vetted and approved by MI5 so lots must have been changed.

Teenagers Translated - Janey Downshire.

Tells you what is going on in teenagers brains. Like a lot of these books they tell you what is going on but liittle about how to deal with it. Not an easy read.

What books are on PW's holiday lists?

Me? I'm laying here in the sun by the pool reading your PW postings :-)

Kids are having a ball with their 'rediscovered toys' and mrs is reading some 'girlie' book in the pool..........

But when I get a moment once the garden is up to scratch again ( the prob of not visiting for months) the book that I have just started is Masters of War by Chris Ryan.

Enjoy the read AVB

I've just done a couple of the Andy McNab Tom Buckingham ones and now I've given up on him - he's all storied out now. Indeed, I always thought the Chris Ryan and Andy McNab books were for Walts, but the early ones are classic holiday fodder.

I've just done 'Rich Dad Poor Dad' (given me a few ideas) and finally got round to 'How to win friends and influence people' (brilliantly simple and observant of the human kind).

I've got another week away - so who can recommend 2 good grown up business-esque books and 2 decent action reads?

Indeed, following on from the No. 1 lesson in Rich Dad Poor Dad, does anyone have any good books on how to legimately pay less tax? :lol:

Edit:

I would add that threads like this in previous years came up gold and as a result I read Sniper 1 and the book about the Vietnam helicopter pilot with an odd title (a pair of crackers right there). Edit edit : 'Chickenhawk!'

Edited by Mungler

A couple of years ago I decided to read all the Terry Pratchett Discworld books on my Kindle starting at "The Colour of Magic" and I finished "Raising Steam" in June on the Cote d'Azur.

I just wanted to find out what the hoo-hah was about after he died.

If you've not read them, you should.

Some of the funniest books that I have ever read

Really enjoyed Soldier Spy but as you say, I doubt the accuracy of it.

If you're into finance/business stories with a bit of a twist I highly recommend Michael Lewis. The Big Short and Boomerang were brilliant. Also a very good read as a follow up to The Big Short, giving some added depth to the trade, is The Greatest Trade Ever by Gregory Zuckermann.

Just read the slaughter man by tony parsons, bit grim in places but really well written so I'll be looking out for more of his.

I've never read any terry Pratchett yet, one fella at work is always trying to get me reading them, another fella ran out of reading material mid shift ( disaster) so started on a TP but only did two pages and brought it back.

I'm currently on with war of the roses series book three 👍

This was a new one to me, but give Ben Macintyre a try. So far I've read Agent Zigzag and Operation Mincemeat, both very good books about WW2 spies and spying. He has an easy, quite amusing style, perfect for a holiday read. He's written others too.

I've tried a few Lee Child, it's essentially the same book over and over again, but good fun all the same.

Re-reading Lord of the Rings at the moment after a 20-year gap. Amazing what I've forgotten and also a reminder about how terrible the films were.

All time favourites however are the Patrick O'Brian "Aubrey-Maturin" series (all 20 of them), the first one being Master and Commander, this series is what the film of the same name with Russell Crowe etc. was (loosely) based. Highly, highly recommended.

I don't know how you guys find the time to read books. All of my time is absorbed by going to work, coming home, eating the evening meal, avoiding falling asleep, looking after the dog, reloading, night shooting and being on here. There's a wife to navigate in all of this.

Edited by fortune

I don't know how you guys find the time to read books. All of my time is absorbed by going to work, coming home, eating the evening meal, avoiding falling asleep, looking after the dog, reloading, night shooting and being on here. There's a wife to navigate in Al of this.

The clue is in the title - 'holiday' reading!

I work nights, reading is a bonus in my eyes.

Just added master and commander and way of a transgressor to my reading list sound good.

Couldn't read Lotr again some chapters flew by others I found horrid it was a one time read for me.

I don't know how you guys find the time to read books. All of my time is absorbed by going to work, coming home, eating the evening meal, avoiding falling asleep, looking after the dog, reloading, night shooting and being on here. There's a wife to navigate in all of this.

Retirement brings lots of benefits. Still not enough time to do absolutely everything, but certainly enough to knock off a few pages a day

The Jack Reacher series by Lee Chils make easy reading and they're reasonably entertaining. Tom Cruise liked them so much he's made two films based on them. Even if he is as far away from Jack Reacher as he could possibly be without being a dwarf.

Spot on mate,Reacher was a heluva big bloke,,Cruise,,,YUK.