Well, That Made I Jump

wymberley

I am quite deaf - to an extent whereby the MoD pays me quite a few £100s every 4 weeks. At the moment i'm considerably worse - my shotgun just goes off with a very mild 'phut' - until I see the nurse next week. Sitting in the hide waiting for something to happen - nothing did - with my brain in neutral I could hear a 'whump, whump' getting louder but obviously way off. I knew what it was.

Suddenly the sun went out and a Chinook flew between me and the decoys well under 100ft AGL. The co-pilots face was a picture when he did a double take over his right shoulder as I jumped up and waved a sign.

Obviously, not only were the Nods practising to be Rambos on Woodbury Common, but the pilot was also practising a hidden approach below the tree line.

Edited by wymberley

i was on ashoot several years ago on a very windy day at Henham....the guns were out on the field and i was in the middle....the field was surrounded by three woods............then all of a sudden 3 of the black gun ships came over the trees ...very low.....................i tell you i near on messed my pants....what an evil menacing machine they are with that chain gun thingy sticking out and going side to side looking for stuff to shoot at..........

One saterday I was shooting when an apache came low over an 80 acre block of wood, across the field I was in and then went up a bit to get over the trees I was shooting from.

I was telling a mate the following Saturday whilst in the same spot. I'm sure he didn't believe me but low and behold it flew over again as if summoned.

Fearsome beasts.

Edited by GingerCat

We are on a low flying route for the 'Jolly Green Giants' and very often I here the distinctive Whop Whop of the blades but they are so low never se them go through.

I spoke with a pilot once and asked what it was like flying so low and he said a bit like driving a very fast sports car down a narrow country lane. We used to get the A10s practising in the valley near Crickhowell and they would often come in at my Range Rover parked on the hill side and veer off at the last moment. They are fantastic machines which the US are finding very difficult to replace with a modern version.

I live on the Somerset levels, we get all sorts of military stuff flying low, particularly at night. One of the most thrilling experiences was standing at the head of a valley on the Quantock hills and watching the fat Alberts (hercules) flying low up the valley, we could actually look down on them until they climbed to clear the trees at the crest of the hill. I get Chinooks overhead regularly and all sorts of attack choppers. Many years ago (before the Gulf war) we had helicopters on the moors that were flying on deck level at night, probably less than 50ft where there were no powerlines. The biggest thrill though is the battle of Britain flight after Yeovilton air show and twice I've seen the Swordfish overhead when I was working near Yeovil.

We are on a low flying route for the 'Jolly Green Giants' and very often I here the distinctive Whop Whop of the blades but they are so low never se them go through.

I spoke with a pilot once and asked what it was like flying so low and he said a bit like driving a very fast sports car down a narrow country lane. We used to get the A10s practising in the valley near Crickhowell and they would often come in at my Range Rover parked on the hill side and veer off at the last moment. They are fantastic machines which the US are finding very difficult to replace with a modern version.

when i was working near thetford ...i used to spend a lot of time watching those A10's....it was the only plane i woul;d like to fly ....they seem so much fun,,,,they would bank slowly and sharply....then accelerate really quick like...then slow right down and bank and turn ...then off again....i bet those pilots enjoyed their work............

Awesome. Best I've had is a tank drive past my house and a 1943 Swimwagen and a series one Humvy turn up at my workshop. I was too young to remember, but my dad once came home from TA in a half-track. Choppers though and low in the air, wow, very cool.

When we had the 1953 floods down the east coast , we had a German submarine come past our front window , no , I am only joking , it was an English one :yes: