Evilbay

Graham M

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couldn't resist a little wind up lads !

Didn't (really) mean to offend.

Off to London in an hour for the Weekend, so your all safe until Sunday night !

Must admit though, its not worth selling on there anymore, like most, Gumtree or facebook is the way to go.

Good place to buy though.

And no, not Drunk.

Just a bit of a knob lol

Enjoy your Rant.

I'm out now.

Cleary an admission of being a Troll then.

I've used eBay for years,bought and sold.Its down to common sense,just don't risk paying loads for something if not 100% positive feedback and an established member.However we all have to start with 0%,so if buy low value items like £2.50 for some fishing hooks ect.

As I say I've bought loads and delivery on most is rapid with collections from most Argos stores.Its convienient for those larger items.When I sold a watch I got bids from overseas even though I clearly stated no none UK bids,just email them and advise that no sale will be honours regardless what they want to pay..There is a few well known Pigeon decoying companies(kbown to all of us)that wouldnt have an avenue if it where not for ebay.They can keep the prices low because of no big overheads which we beifit from.The only downside is the selling fees have vastly increased (for individuals) but for buying it's spot on.Where else can you get a pair of brake discs (very heavy) delivered within 2 days (free) for less than your local parts shop 200yrds up the road (same brand).

Edited by Davyo

I sold a old Farm 3 ton tipping trailer on there I put on ad conditions of sale cash on collection only if that's not acceptable don't bid well guess what the winning bidder payed by paypal so got stung for the fees off that two sure sum people carnt read or just thick

I a said to him did you read the ad he said he never saw that bit... Realy! Was in big bold writing!!

Thanks Gordon

As stated, its been a while since I sold anything.

Does this requirement not smack a little bit, forcing you to accept a form of payment which is beneficial for a partner of the the selling website!

You can accept cash on delivery,so you do have a choice.

I just use it to sell secondhand machinery parts to put money into PayPal then spend the money from there.

I've noticed that fees seem to be creeping up and that people are using other Facebook marketplace, gumtree etc.

If I'm looking to purchase an obscure book or find an obscure part then you can't beat eBay.

You can accept cash on delivery,so you do have a choice.

Doesnt stop them making the payment via PayPal as The OP has discovered.

Im guessing by abiding by Ebay t&cs that if you now have to accept PayPal or not be able to sell then this will crop up more and more?

Doesnt stop them making the payment via PayPal as The OP has discovered.

Im guessing by abiding by Ebay t&cs that if you now have to accept PayPal or not be able to sell then this will crop up more and more?

You do have to have a PPal account,but that's not just to do with T&C.It also covers money laundering & has links with taxes.Quite a lot of people had to register as Self Employed due to the amount they where selling.It was quite clear that some people where trading and not just flogging unwanted items.

Davyo

Is not having a PayPal account a bit like not owning a colour tv? Everyone has one.

Buyer/seller protection is probably why its preferred ( unless your Ebay and taking a cut ( in addition to ebay fees too))

The self employed aspect, yes I remember reading about that I the press a year or two back- some people were running 24hr full time operations from their house.

What is the the distinction between being a trader and selling / buying items in a site such as eBay?

Is there a turnover threshold.

Davyo

Is not having a PayPal account a bit like not owning a colour tv? Everyone has one.

Buyer/seller protection is probably why its preferred ( unless your Ebay and taking a cut ( in addition to ebay fees too))

The self employed aspect, yes I remember reading about that I the press a year or two back- some people were running 24hr full time operations from their house.

What is the the distinction between being a trader and selling / buying items in a site such as eBay?

Is there a turnover threshold.

I don't know exactly without checking current HMRC manuals.Although I wasn't involved i can remember a couple of years back,might even be longer.HMRC ran an income disclosure campaign on individual eBayer's to come forward.Same with people who do all the bootfares every week.

I think that if you have a certain amount floating through PPal or very regular transactions,then they have a duty to notify HMRC.Its a bit like rolling into you bank with more than 10k.Your basically asked to justify where it came from.

Edited by Davyo

Blimey, this is all getting s bit fraught. All most ordinary people want to do is buy a couple of cheap items now and then, or flog something once in a blue moon.

Anyhow........... the chap turned up this morning with his very poorly dad. Seems he wants to give his dad this lathe as a present as he is suffering from skin cancer around his head. By all accounts the poor man hasn't long left and this was a way of giving him something to occupy his time, as he used to be a top-flight engineer in his younger days. Turned out to be a really nice man.

Makes me feel a bit rotten for doubting him.

Blimey, this is all getting s bit fraught. All most ordinary people want to do is buy a couple of cheap items now and then, or flog something once in a blue moon.

Anyhow........... the chap turned up this morning with his very poorly dad. Seems he wants to give his dad this lathe as a present as he is suffering from skin cancer around his head. By all accounts the poor man hasn't long left and this was a way of giving him something to occupy his time, as he used to be a top-flight engineer in his younger days. Turned out to be a really nice man.

well you did the right thing, and i'm sure he's pretty thankful for you holding on to it for him. I'm in two minds about ebay, some complete nobbers on there ruin it, I've been ripped off royally before and had to use the claims procedure a couple of times to get my money back, but over all I've had good experiences and managed to pass on a lot of useless ( to me anyway) items that would otherwise end up at the tip.

Dont feel bad, if he was that nice he would have contacted you after auction end & defiantly before paying by paypal.

well you did the right thing, and i'm sure he's pretty thankful for you holding on to it for him. I'm in two minds about ebay, some complete nobbers on there ruin it, I've been ripped off royally before and had to use the claims procedure a couple of times to get my money back, but over all I've had good experiences and managed to pass on a lot of useless ( to me anyway) items that would otherwise end up at the tip.

oooooooooooohh you can say that again. I once bid on a little 4 x 28 scope for my Marlin. The scope wasn't a top-end job but would have been ideal for an underlever. The photo showed an aircraft aluminium body and was being offered at silly money. When it arrived it was a completely different scope and the eyebell part of the scope was made out of cheap plastic.

I contacted the seller and told him that I wanted to return this piece of junk and that he should pay for the return postage. The cheeky ****** actually told me to clear off as the scope was "As advertised". It clearly wasn't and I contacted ebay with the picture shown and a picture of the scope that had been sent. I went onto the net and found out information about this cheep scope and was able to give model numbers etc. After a couple of weeks ebay sent me a pre-paid returns note, and reimbursed my money.

This wasn't a private sale either, it was a business offering all sorts of shooting items.

Like most I mainly buy through ebay which I find incredibly useful and the main reason I desist from selling much through there is the multiple fees, first insertion fees (plus add on's if you want more pics or things like BuyNow), then the actual selling fee and of course rather large PayPal percentages which don't seem in keeping with the actual effort they put into the transaction !

On the rare occasions I sell something it will always be collection only and read something like : cash on collection or bank transfer preferred, please be advised that if you insist on paying via PayPal that no funny returns and complaints will be entertained, I will require signature that you're happy with the purchase before leaving. :)

As with all business models they wind up milking every single aspect of the transaction which invariably ends up alienating their customer base who then seek ways of minimising loss and often switch to other newer companies hence the meteoric rise of say Gumtree. Incidentally one perfectly valid way of getting buyers to pay cash or cheque is to make them aware that you can't release goods until PayPal pay you :yes: which for non frequent sellers is several weeks I believe.