Money pit.

Lord Geordie

Having bought a 2005 laguna to replace my Astra mk3 I was feeling rather good about myself. This wasn't long lived though. I bought it knowing it had a knock from the rear and knew what it was. I paid the guy and received a 2.0 petrol hatch with less that 80k on the clock. Full service history yards yadda. Dynamique no less so half leather interior etc (about time I had something half nice) Bought the new rear subframe bushes and replaced them. Job done I thought.

Oh how wrong I was. Front spring went, with The help of a PW member I got new springs and I fit those!

Then the timing belt needed doing (garage) thick end of £400 all told.

Then I noticed the car pulling to one side and speed bumps shook the car! New set of wishbones, track rod inner and outlets, drop links another £300

Then the handbrake cable. So today I set too and BOTH bolts holding the handbrake module to the chassis sheared off. You couldn't make it up.

Then to add insult to injury, the off side rear caliper needs replacing too. Oh the joys! Just as well I have a flipping bus pass really :lol: :lol:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ever owned one ?

I have great off road its where they spend most of their time parked up off road, use them hard they give up the ghost constantly knowing you have some work to do much of the time gets boring after a few years, even on a good week you will have at least the panard rod bushes to change and give them a dozen 1500 mile round trips to scotland and 400 miles a week working miles and you will be doing some maintenance a great engine the 200 but i blew a head gasket cracked a head three years latter and couple this with normal work clutch replacement and wheel bearings other running costs like tyres they are indeed money pits.

Many do not cover enough miles to get this worn out but spend much of their life as second cars shooting transport for fox shooting pigeon shooting green laning and local running about, give them some miles they will do it, but they need money throwing at them which always seemed to me to be too regular. Wifes Land cruiser is towing horse boxes everyday covers the miles as 130k on it now and has barely had anything but brakes tyres and normal service stuff.

You bought a Renault and expected a quality motor

You've had nothing but agg since you bought it.

Lesson learnt by any chance?

I used to think like this, but after i sold my 110 defender got a 57 plate 200k miles on it Renault kangoo van sl17 70 dci it has been faultless 400 miles most weeks just did 1600 miles last week not a murmur no knocks rattles wheel bearing noise it drives like its brand new, Renaults have shot up in my estimation since i got this van, i would have another Renault Tomorrow there are good examples and bad examples of all brands and models just luck of the draw much of the time.

I used to think like this, but after i sold my 110 defender got a 57 plate 200k miles on it Renault kangoo van sl17 70 dci it has been faultless 400 miles most weeks just did 1600 miles last week not a murmur no knocks rattles wheel bearing noise it drives like its brand new, Renaults have shot up in my estimation since i got this van, i would have another Renault Tomorrow there are good examples and bad examples of all brands and models just luck of the draw much of the time.

I was looking at getting the kangoo 1.2 to ferry mum and dad about in as they Both need scooters now. The kangoo had the room to fit both scooters in the boot, while the sliding side door is ideal for dad as his mobility is so limited he struggles with swing open doors. I was hoping to get the kangoo back end of next year!

You bought a Renault and expected a quality motor 😂

You've had nothing but agg since you bought it.

Lesson learnt by any chance?

I have spent my life making do, never had money! So had to go basic with pretty much everything. The Laguna is top of the range bar one. Comfortable, roomy, nice specs etc compared to every other carvI have ever owned. Lesson learnt? Yes! Good things come to he who waits! I just have to wait a little longer until it's fixed again. I can't afford a big 4x4 or a new car. This is the best I can afford. Granted to some it's maybe antiquated, or not quite a BMW etc. But it's not on finance, and at least I have a car 😊. Granted I am using the bus more at the moment :lol: but I will get there in the end ;)

Or a ktm :lol: where abouts are you? If your local or don't mind travelling il happily do it for you

I am in Newcastle. I test drilled the bolt head earlier, looks like it should drill out ok. Will have to order a long reach tap wrench to access the chassis to re thread the holes. The only issue I will have is bleeding the new caliper as it's ABS and I don't have the correct tools for bleeding thecABS style systems.

I was looking at getting the kangoo 1.2 to ferry mum and dad about in as they Both need scooters now. The kangoo had the room to fit both scooters in the boot, while the sliding side door is ideal for dad as his mobility is so limited he struggles with swing open doors. I was hoping to get the kangoo back end of next year!

I am impressed by this van its a diesel 1500cc like i said it suprised me how good it is not a rocket ship off the line but it is happy at 70mph all day up and down to scotland never a problem, van has some details i like the over cab shelf is a handy thing i like my knock about nikko skeet gun fits on this shelf perfect out the way and dead handy when the need for a quick shot at a magpie or rabbit arises. I think i will run it a year or so yet.

Stay well away from.french cars, they are always trouble

As opposed to ?

Interested to see what the opinion of worst car is.

Ive had 2 lagunas over the past 11 years, both 1.9 dci s .

Done over 100,000 miles between the 2 , they do like to eat a front tyre or 2 , but apart from a turbo on the first one, and the odd rear subframe bush, cheap, economical motoring from both of them.

I bought them both with 100,000 on the clock for peanuts, they both had nav packs,and are a pleasure to drive, I still drive my 57 plate one.

But lately Ive got 1.5 dci Grand Scenic, massive boot, or 7 seats, 60 mpg, its 10 years old with 80000 on it and cost me 500 quid.

Whats not to like ?

Bear in mind that 1.5 dci engine is fitted in a huge amount of cars these days, from Quashqais to Dacias, so cant be too bad can it ?

I had a mk3 Megane DCI, bought it with 25k on the clock, gearbox failed at 40k, crankshaft broke at 50k, Paid £8k for it and sold it with a busted engine for £1k.

It was a Nissan engine, would have cost £4k to get it back on the road. I'll never buy another a French or Nissan engine car. All I got from garages when trying to fix it was, oh its French, oh its this engine they're rubbish. I had a 1.2 Clio for 8 years before and it never missed a beat.

I had the same with an Audi and BMW both fell apart, my wife and I have Fords now which I always found to be reliable.

Having bought a 2005 laguna to replace my Astra mk3 I was feeling rather good about myself. This wasn't long lived though. I bought it knowing it had a knock from the rear and knew what it was. I paid the guy and received a 2.0 petrol hatch with less that 80k on the clock. Full service history yards yadda. Dynamique no less so half leather interior etc (about time I had something half nice) Bought the new rear subframe bushes and replaced them. Job done I thought.

Oh how wrong I was. Front spring went, with The help of a PW member I got new springs and I fit those!

Then the timing belt needed doing (garage) thick end of £400 all told.

Then I noticed the car pulling to one side and speed bumps shook the car! New set of wishbones, track rod inner and outlets, drop links another £300

Then the handbrake cable. So today I set too and BOTH bolts holding the handbrake module to the chassis sheared off. You couldn't make it up.

Then to add insult to injury, the off side rear caliper needs replacing too. Oh the joys! Just as well I have a flipping bus pass really :lol: :lol:

Did you not test drive the car before buying it?

As for French cars being trouble, i had a Peugeot 405 GLDT 1905cc 1993 bought with 77k on it sold 13 years latter with 450k miles on it on same engine gearbox, the gearbox was starting to get a bit tired on the syncros going into 3rd had to take it slow, but still not whining and car in all those miles had few replacement items two alternators which were just diodes going down and one had bearing noise too, brake servo packed in at 288k that was a pain to swap and i had to change a heater blower motor at 330k but other than belts tyres and general servicing it kept running perfectly.

Finaly scraped it as the rear axle beam radius bushings were getting warn and i inherited a Picasso so used that and that citroen was a good car too. Had French cars right back to my first Peugeot 305 van i think they are great cars.

Did you not test drive the car before buying it?

That's how I knew the rear subframe bushes needed changed :yes:

The other bits just happened after the initial purchase. Bits wear out I know, but after the front wishbones and track rods I though "that's it now" then the handbrake went. Now from that I have more to do. But hoping once this lot is done I don't get any more issues 😔

As for French cars being trouble, i had a Peugeot 405 GLDT 1905cc 1993 bought with 77k on it sold 13 years latter with 450k miles on it on same engine gearbox, the gearbox was starting to get a bit tired on the syncros going into 3rd had to take it slow, but still not whining and car in all those miles had few replacement items two alternators which were just diodes going down and one had bearing noise too, brake servo packed in at 288k that was a pain to swap and i had to change a heater blower motor at 330k but other than belts tyres and general servicing it kept running perfectly.

Finaly scraped it as the rear axle beam radius bushings were getting warn and i inherited a Picasso so used that and that citroen was a good car too. Had French cars right back to my first Peugeot 305 van i think they are great cars.

I had the 405 stdt (I think), quite close to top of the range in its day, it was the estate, probably one of the most reliable cars I ever owned, had 59k on when I bought it, sold it with 130k on it.....apart from the odd tyre I had to replace 1 brake pipe, battery and the belt that ran the alternator and power steering,

Sold it to my neighbour who continued to run it on tobacco and booze runs abroad.....on red diesel, HMRC came one day and took 3 of his cars away on a low loader......probably crushed soon after.....

Sold it to buy a laguna 2 sport tourer (estate) same spec as LG's, me and my sister bought one each off the bro in law and his dad, both 2 1/2 years old, both had around 25k on,

Mine had rear suspension bushes, wiring loom, and roof rails repainted all under warranty,

Sisters had rear suspension bushes just out of warranty,

My turbo went at about 40k, sisters turbo went around 50k,

Mine had a strange fault after around 35k, about once every 2 months it would go into limp home mode with a fault saying fuel injection issues on the diagnostic screen on the dash, if you pulled over, took the key out and started again it would go off and run perfectly till next time, never logged a code for the diagnostic machine to pick up....electrical I think.

Really nice cars to drive, very economical but wouldn't have another........would have another 405 though lol

:shaun: