RFD Fees

webber

I often hear shooters moaning about charges made by RFDs for various services.
I spent almost 4 hours after work last night collecting rifles, shotguns and pistols from a customers home who is in hospital.
I'll spend another hour or so booking them in for storage this morning.
The man is a long standing customer, the price to him is free.
Loyalty cuts in both directions.

webber

http://www.norgascartridges.co.uk

And this gesture will be much appriciated by him and his family....but why the need to post this......im sure we all do things for others in times of need without feeling the need to tell the everyone about it......

Many rfd complaints are about overcharging for paperwork and products which can clearly be bought elsewhere for less.......

15 hours ago, webber said:

I often hear shooters moaning about charges made by RFDs for various services.
I spent almost 4 hours after work last night collecting rifles, shotguns and pistols from a customers home who is in hospital.
I'll spend another hour or so booking them in for storage this morning.
The man is a long standing customer, the price to him is free.
Loyalty cuts in both directions.

webber

http://www.norgascartridges.co.uk

Thats so sweet of you, awwwww

Do you not do this often, is that why you felt it needed a special mention ?

On 22/11/2017 at 06:21, Seadog1408 said:

Bit ****y?

No not really......the post was all for self praise.....as per most of the replys.....

when really it was no bodys buisness other than his own as to what he did for free.....afyer all "self praise is no praise".......

The more cynical out there could say well done and if things go bad for the owner the family will ask you to sell said firearms and im sure the few hrs in collecting will be covered then in the sale....... will that get a post prob not......

I think the principal of what goes around comes around is too often forgotten. 

My local RFD is a pleasure to buy from, never the cheapest but i always look forward to visiting and trying to find an excuse to buy something. If he goes out of buisness i am stuck with nobody for miles, and whoever i can find may well be far less pleasant to deal with  

When two products are equally good for me i ask which he has the better margin on and buy that. He often charges me far less than would be reasonable for bits of gunsmithing and knocks money off bills. 

I hope your customer remains loyal for many years to come.

On 22/11/2017 at 06:21, Seadog1408 said:

Bit ******?

Not my intention, (apologies if it was taken that way), although a smattering of cynisism is a distinct possibility ....  :|

My RFD (Ed in Edinburgh) doesn't charge RFD fees for receiving at all and often will include  booking them in and out as part of the sale/service he provides, after all it's what he is, an RFD, an RFD who looks after his customers. There is no cost involved so why take money ... isn't that being exploitative ?

10 minutes ago, miki said:

Not my intention, (apologies if it was taken that way), although a smattering of cynisism is a distinct possibility .... 

My RFD (Ed in Edinburgh) doesn't charge RFD fees for receiving at all and often will include  booking them in and out as part of the sale/service he provides, after all it's what he is, an RFD, an RFD who looks after his customers. There is no cost involved so why take money ... isn't that being exploitative ?

He is presumably there to make as good a living as possible and in order to provide the service has costs of running an rfd to cover. Either he bills directly for time or hopes doing it for free brings enough profit on other buisness to acheive more profit overall. The only exception to this may of course be that he is not looking to maximise financial return, i have occasionally worked with people who are not financially motivated or minded (something i find hard to comphrehend at times). 

Is charging for a 'service' exploitation or the fundamental principal of free market economics?

55 minutes ago, miki said:

Not my intention, (apologies if it was taken that way), although a smattering of cynisism is a distinct possibility .... 

I agree how dare my accountant and lawyer charge me for their time. They do not actually give me a physical item, what a rip off.

Took an old shotgun in for disposal a couple of years ago and the gunshop actually wanted to charge me £35 to hand it in. Told me that he had to cut it up and dispose of it etc and that was the cost for the work. Took it into the local police station and did it for nothing.

Needless to say I have been using other gun shops since, so my loyalty to that shop over the years didn't seem to matter one jot.

Webber if you treat your customers right and word spreads people will use your shop and services. 

The exact opposite is also true, so most of the complaints on here and elsewhere warn people of the potential costs or grumpy **** behind the counter. 

As I started reading your post about the hours and time etc my first thought was your going to explain why Rfd charge what they do. Then you went on to say it was done for free, yes no money changed hands but stilll not exactly free as more quid pro quo your good customer has spent money with you for plenty of time  so your returning that loyalty. In the future he will come back to you. 

My experience is that if you buy something, a lot of RFD's will wave the fees and I think this makes good sense.

If you get a gun transferred to you, will probably want to pick up cleaning stuff / box or 2 of ammo / sling / scope rings / etc so your transfer will probably come with other business

ATB,

Scrummy

hello, recently i was looking at buying a hand held pulsar N/V, 2 RFDs i have used in past were contacted, 1 could only sell at the RRP and not even discount to an online shop, and i have spent a fair few pounds there over 10 years, the other RFD never returnd my call. yet i have purchased there over 10 years, so that in mind i found a good deal online but a different make and it works a treat.