New boiler cost and fitting

Harnser

My son needed a new boiler fitted to his cottage as his old one gave up the ghost and died on him . Shopped around different places and was quoted between £2500 and £3500 to supply and fit a new combi boiler .

This seemed a lot of money to me so I contacted a local gas fitter for a price . He Said that if he bought the boiler himself he would fit it for £500 . He bought a new boiler from screw fix at a cost of £850 including the remote control and the local man fitted it for £500 . The boiler is warrented for 7 years and no charge for call outs or parts .  £1350 plus £50 for some extra bits and fittings .  So who is lifting whose leg in the boiler fitting world . Seems like a big rip off in the heating trade .

harnser

Biggest rip off going are boiler installs, but I’m afraid very few gas fitters will work for a reasonable labour cost these days when everyone else is making an easy £1000 plus in a day fitting combi boilers! It’s not all clear profit of course, being gas safe registered etc but every plumber I know rubs his hands together at the thought of a boiler change!!

Sounds like you got a good deal ?

Edited by Wilts#Dave

Depends on the boiler the company we’re going to fit. A lot of fitters will only fit certain types as they know them inside out and don’t get many call backs or break downs. The initial price might seem high but you haven’t said what exactly was included.  Could be flushing cleansing changing all the radiator valves and a boiler costing £1800.00 

1 hour ago, Tim Kelly said:

I'll give him £500 to cover the cost of the fitter if the system complies with boiler manufacturers requirements, building regs and gas regs. Any idiot can hang a boiler on the wall and connect some pipes, but knowledge has a value. 

They never learn Tim, until it goes to rat-****. :lol:

Sound familiar? 3 years down the line, manufacturer called out under warranty for poor hot water performance. Test system quality (which they will)- rank, plate knackered, primary HE knackered, pump knackered, diverter knackered. Sorry love, no inhibitor, system not cleaned, Benchmark not completed, not covered under warranty, also not installed to M.I. Bye. That's even if the installer registers it with the manufacturer in the first place

Building Regs - Sorry, we don't have any record of any notification for that property

https://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/help-and-advice/gas-safety-certificates-records/building-regulations-certificate/

And that's all before we even get started on to the safety of the installation ... Cash payments (if that's what it was) seem to go hand-in-hand with failure to register with manufacturer and failure to notify with building regs - no surprise there.

Oh if I had a penny every time I'd heard the above ...:lol:

For clarity - a Worcester 30si alone will cost you nearly as much as the entire cost you've outlined in the OP, even from Screwfix. Their CDI range (not even sold at Screwfix) is more than that again. Given the nice rounded off £500 labour cost I'd say you've already saved having to pay VAT on labour. Reputable companies cannot afford such 'colourful' accountancy.

You had one of these yet?

building-regulations-certificate.jpg

A

Edited by racing snake

Oh dear ,this thread seems to have upset some gas fitters on here .  I might just ad that my son was given all the necessary paper work ref the building regs and safety checks . The fitter filled in the boiler warranty and gave a full discription of work carried out to fit the boiler .  My son had a letter from the manufacturer of the boiler saying that the warranty has been put in place and that every thing was in order .

harnser

Edited by Harnser

Nope, doesn't upset me in the least, I wouldn't have thought it would Tim either. We install and service/repair oil, gas, domestic, commercial, ground-source, air-source, solar PV, U/F, and electrical. Honestly, one-man bands pocketing a monkey for chucking a boiler in aren't really much of a concern for us. I'm pointing out some of the pitfalls to be wary off.

We're also WAI for Worcester, so, as mentioned earlier, just the cost of a CDI boiler would be more than you paid for the entire lot so comparing quotes based purely on the end figure is a bit like saying "hey I bought a car from Hyundai for ten grand and those cheeky ******** at Range Rover wanted 70 grand"

P.S., it isn't the installer who 'gives' the necessary building regs notification document - he notifies it. :good:

Edited by racing snake

In the Spring we had a new Worcester boiler fitted in our bungalow , with the amount of work he carried out ,there was no way he could have fitted it in a day , he ran a new flue pipe through the loft and out of the roof which took time fitting a lead flange in the tiles , flushed the cistern out a couple of times and needed a bona fide sparks to wire the boiler up , cleared away the old boiler and took care of all the paper work .

Supply and fit was around £2,500 , which we were happy with .

hello, many moons ago i wrote a similar post reference a new boiler for my sons home, a few gas engineers were not bothered to return my call, but did get 3 quotes 2 from trade 1 from british gas which included that hive thingy, 1 trader wanted over £3,000 as stated a weeks work and would not give a breakdown of costs,, other trader £65 her hour plus costs of boiler etc quoted 4 days, british gas just under £4,000 and wanted to fit that hive thingy, by chance a chap i know from fishing club had just had one fitted by a local qualified gas engineer, 3 days work fitted and working £2,000 

We’ve just had our boiler replaced, straight swap combi for combi. We had an ideal boiler fitted along with the ideal filter that extends the warranty to 10 years and also a limescale filter and Nest thermostat installed for £1200. It was fitted by a mate so no labour on that price, it took around 7 hrs with me helping and wiring the Nest. 

Two year same ago had a new boiler installed, old one used to be a back boiler behind a old fire in the sitting room.  New boiler moved upstairs into airing cupboard so some new pipes, flue up into attic and outside, 3 days, two sons and then dad, they were there 3 days and he was there for 2 and the last day towards the end.  Very tidy, very clean, cleared up after themselves every night.  Was happy to pay £4,500.  The dad and one son just been back for this year’s service - spent just over 3 hrs for £89.  They aren’t happy with the output, they rang the manufacturer to make an appointment for me, just had a message to say engineer will be here tomorrow between 8 and 8.30 to change whatever thing they aren’t happy with as it’s under warranty.  

There is no "Big rip off in the heating trade"

People charge what they want to get the jobs, some might be mad busy and put a silly price in to put people off then hey ho the customer agrees to the price, some are desperate for work and put a cheap price In to get the job as they need the cash. 

I wouldn't put a cheapo boiler from screwfix in so I wouldn' even price the job. I fit the best Worcester (cdi classic) and thats that.  

A straight swap round this area is around 2k including 29cdi classic, filter, clock and flue and labour.

that's a fair price Del

I would fir whatever boiler a customer insisted on , I would advise what i think best, but when customers start wanting to supply there own goods i walk away unless they want to pay waiting time when they've got the wrong flue or forgot filling loop etc etc, it suggests a lack of trust in the first place and i do not like that 

Edited by Winston72

2 hours ago, Winston72 said:

but when customers start wanting to supply there own goods i walk away unless they want to pay waiting time when they've got the wrong flue or forgot filling loop etc etc, it suggests a lack of trust in the first place and i do not like that 

I think that can work two ways; I have just had some electrical/alarm work done - and the parts needed had to be specific items to work with the existing system (i.e. same make and series).  I agreed the job/parts to be used with my electrician and offered to get them myself, or let him get them.  He preferred for me to get them (which I did by internet order) as it saved him trouble - especially as one (optional accessory) part wasn't stocked by his regular wholesaler.

I would have been just as happy either way, and the job is now done and paid for.  Understand your point of view, but he was happy for me to get the parts as we have a mutual trust in each other (he has done quite a bit of work for me over the last couple of years).

If that suits you all good, if you had made a mistake and ordered the wrong things, would you have been happy to pay his lost/wasted time? if an engineer makes an error he can only blame himself and therefore the loss but to lose money for somebody else's error isn't something i could live with

4 hours ago, Winston72 said:

If that suits you all good, if you had made a mistake and ordered the wrong things, would you have been happy to pay his lost/wasted time? if an engineer makes an error he can only blame himself and therefore the loss but to lose money for somebody else's error isn't something i could live with

Short answer, Yes within reason ......... but in this case the risk was very low as the parts needed were specific - and we agreed in detail what was needed before I ordered.