Red Squirrel Numbers

das

3 hours ago, das said:

Will he benefit from Brexit?

5a3c0d8b2f9bb_RedSqirrel.jpg.68abcac92f8af98447b3b4098640c90f.jpg

I know this is a @@@@ take/wind up, but on a serious note.....

But u could also ask it who is going to fund the trapping programme's in Scotland now???

Was at a talk the other night, they have almost killed out all the greys in Aberdeen city now and the reds are recolonizing the outscirts, within 5 ears they reckon it should be grey free and the most northernly greys will be down about Dundee.

Hate to say it but that was all funded by EU grants as are the FT and PT trappers in my area trying to keep the English disease ridden greys out off scotland

The removal of the American Greys is only going to be achieved by volunteers. The cost of full time trappers UK wide is not realistic. EU or no EU. Apart from a few full time paid staff the most effective resource in grey control is a team of volunteers. The more volunteers catch the vision nationally the quicker the greys will be removed.

It is slightly different in Scotland thou, in many places we're still lucky to have reds and most of the greys in central belt don't carry squirrel pox, but if u left it to volanteers it wouldn't be organised enough

Plus the new airgun laws  could well be a final nail in the coffin for many volanteer's.

At the moment it is EU grants that are paying for both FT and seasonal trappers in quite a few sensitive key areas

11 hours ago, scotslad said:

I know this is a @@@@ take/wind up, but on a serious note.....

But u could also ask it who is going to fund the trapping programme's in Scotland now???

Was at a talk the other night, they have almost killed out all the greys in Aberdeen city now and the reds are recolonizing the outscirts, within 5 ears they reckon it should be grey free and the most northernly greys will be down about Dundee.

Hate to say it but that was all funded by EU grants as are the FT and PT trappers in my area trying to keep the English disease ridden greys out off scotland

Isn't this the same whinge used by remainers? i.e. who pays for whatever, after Brexit?

The reason many people voted to leave the EU was sovereignty and self determination! So the UK wouldn't be financially dependent on grants and handouts at the whim of an unaccountable EU state and that all future UK financial decisions would be made by the UK Government, decisions which the UK Government would be accountable for via the ballot box?

At some point in the future a decision has to be made as to where the UK spends the money it saves from no longer contributing to the EU.........hopefully to benefit everyone in the UK, not just the die hard self interested remainers who are profiting from the UK's membership of the EU.

13 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

My major concern is that ridding ourselves of a corrupt EU that has been regulating, controlling, micro managing and ripping us off for years......will result in a future UK Government taking the EU's place and regulating, controlling, micro managing and ripping us off.

Aren't both doing that now anyway?

2 hours ago, scotslad said:

It is slightly different in Scotland thou, in many places we're still lucky to have reds and most of the greys in central belt don't carry squirrel pox, but if u left it to volanteers it wouldn't be organised enough

Plus the new airgun laws  could well be a final nail in the coffin for many volanteer's.

At the moment it is EU grants that are paying for both FT and seasonal trappers in quite a few sensitive key areas

We also have Reds in parts of England and in the area where I operate much of the effective work is undertaken by volunteers. It would not be feasible to expect to fund full time or seasonal Rangers to other areas, but since Warfarin was banned for Squirrel control we have seen an encouraging increase in Red Squirrel sightings in areas where they have not been seen for a considerable time. A concerted effort by volunteers is the way forward. As for air rifle licensing in Scotland I am sure it is a bit of a “faff” but realistically no more of a problem than folk who have FAC and Shotgun certificates. Clearly there is a problem for anyone with a criminal record or mental health issues. I cannot see that it will be a major  problem when the whole thing shakes down. Leaving the EU shouldn’t affect funding anyway as the UK government have committed itself to continuing support for wildlife conservation. What the Scottish Government do is a matter for you in Scotland to sort out. :sad1:

11 hours ago, Fisheruk said:

The removal of the American Greys is only going to be achieved by volunteers. The cost of full time trappers UK wide is not realistic. EU or no EU. Apart from a few full time paid staff the most effective resource in grey control is a team of volunteers. The more volunteers catch the vision nationally the quicker the greys will be removed.

True but that relies on land owners with a problem giving access?

53 minutes ago, old man said:

True but that relies on land owners with a problem giving access?

This is the thing, most land owners probably don't see grey squirrels as a problem, I've been to farms asking about shooting rats and rabbits, ferreting I'm expecting some strange looks when I'm knocking and asking to shoot squirrels.

8 hours ago, Fisheruk said:

We also have Reds in parts of England and in the area where I operate much of the effective work is undertaken by volunteers. It would not be feasible to expect to fund full time or seasonal Rangers to other areas, but since Warfarin was banned for Squirrel control we have seen an encouraging increase in Red Squirrel sightings in areas where they have not been seen for a considerable time. A concerted effort by volunteers is the way forward. As for air rifle licensing in Scotland I am sure it is a bit of a “faff” but realistically no more of a problem than folk who have FAC and Shotgun certificates. Clearly there is a problem for anyone with a criminal record or mental health issues. I cannot see that it will be a major  problem when the whole thing shakes down. Leaving the EU shouldn’t affect funding anyway as the UK government have committed itself to continuing support for wildlife conservation. What the Scottish Government do is a matter for you in Scotland to sort out. :sad1:

I'm involved with 2 local wildlife trusts and the local red squirrel group, and they're is a massive shortage of volanteers for anything.

Esp when it comes to killing anything, 1 of the reserves is quite famous for its red squirrels with photographers and tv cameras coming from all over to see them , yet some of my fellow committee members are actually against killing them. Madness.

On the committee of the red squirrel group I'm the only 1 with an air gun ticket.

In my area if it wasn't for the job the FT trappers and a few seasonal trappers I doubt they're would be any reds left. And we're very lucky to have literally thousands of reds in this area (I've seen as many as 12 in my garden 1 morning, and not he same 1's)

But u are spot on there is no reason why the country couldn't carry on similar grants after brexit, althou I would be worried. The country is skint, roads, hospitals etc are all struggling I don't know if they would spare the cash.

But even with the grants we have now which will pay for a FT trapper on ur ground for 3-4 months fewer and fewer local estates/landowners are bothering.

When ur talking about landscape wide collaborative culling/trapping over whole regions volanteers sadly are always going to struggle and u need the grants to fund more FT staff

Scotslad, I have to disagree ..the money spent on clearing out those greys was our own which the leeches in Brussels allowed us to use.  The rest of our contribution they pocketed.  It is great however to learn that such an effort has been made and more grease to your elbow and it just shows that it can be done with enough will.

We need a serious effort by our own press to put all this forward. BASC should collaborate with the Farmers Weekly for instance and I regularly get magazines aimed at farmers through my door but never see squirrels mentioned. 

Edited by Walker570

I put up a post about basc supporting or funding grey squirrel and mink trapping in wales and wanting volunteers but it died a death, no real interest it seems in conservation work.

Scotland, could you put some info on the squirrel thread Walker started on the vermin section, the more people read about red squirrels and various efforts around the countries the more chance of them doing something.

Mind me asking roughly what part of Scotland are you?

3 hours ago, scotslad said:

I'm involved with 2 local wildlife trusts and the local red squirrel group, and they're is a massive shortage of volanteers for anything.

8 hours ago, Mice! said:

get the poles eating them instead of peoples fish 

I was out in that wood we shoot just before Christmas a few years back. Like you this week, before dawn. Walked around the bottom of that lake and heard whispering voices. Carried on quietly around through the bushes, to find two Eastern Europeans poaching Carp. Boy did they move sharp when I put my LED torch on about 20 metres from them, they dropped their pole, grabbed their bag and legged it. It may have been the fact that I had my CZ on on my shoulder that stopped them from having a chat.  I hasten to add it was on the sling muzzle up. They haven’t been back. :):good::lol:

On 23.12.2017 at 20:05, Fisheruk said:

I was out in that wood we shoot just before Christmas a few years back. Like you this week, before dawn. Walked around the bottom of that lake and heard whispering voices. Carried on quietly around through the bushes, to find two Eastern Europeans poaching Carp. Boy did they move sharp when I put my LED torch on about 20 metres from them, they dropped their pole, grabbed their bag and legged it. It may have been the fact that I had my CZ on on my shoulder that stopped them from having a chat.  I hasten to add it was on the sling muzzle up. They haven’t been back. :):good::lol:

Good job.  Pity they haven't been caught and punished. Eastern europeans , eskimo or chinese doesn't matter. Everyone should obey the law. Anyway it seems that the front line is nearby my city. I'm still looking for a permission for greys. Maybe I'll try one some day to make "Mice!" happy :).  

squi.jpg

30 minutes ago, Honey Monster said:

Good job.  Pity they haven't been caught and punished. Eastern europeans , eskimo or chinese doesn't matter. Everyone should obey the law. Anyway it seems that the front line is nearby my city. I'm still looking for a permission for greys. Maybe I'll try one some day to make "Mice!" happy .  

squi.jpg

HM try contacting the Scottish Wildlife trust, duno if there is much info on there site might be worth phoneing after the new year or saving scotlands red squirrel site, there basically all linked and swt sort of organise stuff. They do have FT staff involved with saving reds

There may be a local squirrel group to u? If so I'd guess it should be linked on the above sites.

Most local groups are desperate for volanteers esp folk with airgun tickets to dispose of trapped squirrels in there gardens. In the past I would leave my old airguns with some but now u can't. The new airgun legislation is a nail in the coffin for reds, not good

In my area there is  a big spring survey coming up again this spring (not sure if Scotland wide or not? in fact I think it will be nation wide) if It is they will be looking for volanteers too (basically the survey is where those maps come from)

idea is to get a feeder in every 1km sq quadrats they have located, so u have to place a feeder and keep it toped up for 1 monh and they stick some Velcro type stuff on the lid which catches the squirrls hairs so they can tell if red or grey in that area.

I think they're also looking for volanteers who aren't local (or even if ur not very fit) to analyse the fur samples in ur own house in ur own time, they will train u how to do it, think it is a micro scope job