Apple slowing down older phones

figgy

Everyone I know have had problems whenever apple release a new phone for around the last four years they have software updates and you can gaurantee your phone will play up for a while. Then more updates and back to normal. 

Seems they went too far this time and everyone has noticed and isn’t happy, them saying it’s all about the battery isn’t cutting it with most either as they had no problems at all with their phones before updating. I know my phone was fine a 6 plus,  family and friends phones were working fine too. Since the slowing down I’ve had trouble with typing in that you type nothing shows then part of first word and test start appearing also apps taking an age to open and the satnav apps not showing your position quick enough so you miss your turning making it dammed dangerous at times. 

Seems the only way is a new battery they are now offering to replace your phones cheaper than the standard £79.00 flat fee according to Jeremy Vines radio 2 show today. 

I think Apple have shown just how underhand they are trying to make people upgrade and will lose future sales through this behavior. 

What are are your thoughts?

Edited by figgy

I think there ALL guilty of this. From mobiles to laptops and PCs and they have been doing it yrs. I switched over to Apple iOS from android three years ago and love my iPhone , iPad , Apple TV , would I change back ........ not a chance . 

To be honest I don’t think this is even news , Apple has put there hands up. Before everyone else gets caught out . 

You wait and see ?

Stevo they didn’t put there hands up they were forced by question of customers all complaining of the same problem and being flooded with emails also the tech blogs and magazines were running with it. 

Apple only responded with the lipo battery cock and bull story because it had gone viral and they were backed into a corner. 

Davyo I’ve been an avid apple user since the very first I macs a decade ago. But last few years after them not supporting older products with updates I’m sick of them. We have a expensive iPad with a SIM card and decent memory that never gets used as my wife now prefers my old Chromebook. I use a windows laptop I bought three or four years ago as I use windows at work jumping between the Apple and windows was a nightmare. Other platforms have come a long way but a lot of my stuff is Apple AirPlay etc so would cost a lot to change but in the future I think I’ll go with another phone  maker. 

I have a fair bit of Apple stuff as my industry is Mac orientated but I do tire of the constant flow of new products that render still functioning appliances as useless - I know apple aren't the only ones though!

built in obsolescence is the curse of our times, nothing is built to last now, only to survive a few years

Have to admit figgy I’m only just catching up on the story , I see what your saying though. , still don’t think it’s enough to make me change. I change my phone about every 18months so it don’t/won’t ever really affect me , I know that’s not really the answer but ignorance sometimes can be sheer bliss ?

1 hour ago, Gordon R said:

I deplore Apple's strategy, but have a reluctant admiration for whoever dreamt it up. Money brings out the worst in people / companies.

This really.

I will still buy their stuff though, all said and done it lasts very well. I bought my macbook in 2006 and am still using it as my main computer, my ipad was new in 2011 (i use that and a handmedown from the better half), and my iphone is a three year old handmedown i use because i am too embarrassed to admit i preferred the much older and smaller one that also still works. So long as you never update the software, and replace batteries as required they seem to run well forever in my experience.

Thinking about it further the last time i actually bought apple stuff other than batteries was more than ten years ago, but if i suddenly had no laptop/ipad i would replace with apple again.

The new I phone x is £1200.00 for a phone to last what 18 months to two years :unhappy: 

my first iPhone 3g lasted me well until they done something with software then I had to upgrade. Planning on keeping my iPhone 6 Plus for a couple more years as I like it and it does all i need a smart phone to do. 

Apple have not released enough of an upgrade to make me want a newer phone. Don’t want to lose my headphone jack either. 

Edited by figgy

37 minutes ago, figgy said:

The new I phone x is £1200.00 for a phone to last what 18 months to two years :unhappy: 

my first iPhone 3g lasted me well until they done something with software then I had to upgrade. Planning on keeping my iPhone 6 Plus for a couple more years as I like it and it does all i need a smart phone to do. 

Apple have not released enough of an upgrade to make me want a newer phone. Don’t want to lose my headphone jack either. 

Get an iPhone 8 Plus , there’s not a lot different apart from screen . 

25 minutes ago, figgy said:

I phone 9s will hopefully be out when I’m ready to change. I will be looking at other makes of phones when I’m looking for a new one. 

Kirk I have had the iPhone 8plus for 8 weeks now after moving up from the 6s and I have to say it’s a massive upgrade imo , apart from the sheer speed of the thing the camera and video is awesome ? 

2 hours ago, washerboy said:

I like my iPhone 5s and wish the newest was the same size and I would probably buy one .

I felt the same way and someone suggested the iPhone SE. Exactly the same size as a 5S but very much better.

Very happy with mine and a big upgrade from my 5S which was feeling a bit tired (slowed down by apple maybe)

Where is it confirmed they slow them on purpose? 

Old hardware running new software and programme surely isn’t going to be as fast (or even work). 

How many old computers can run today’s software? 

And when you look at the technology going into new models etc its amazing. I remember having a Blackberry and first being able to go online with that. Before that I remember Nokia 4210’s playing Snake. 

Now I can do all my banking, messaging, Facebook, lookup academic work, legislation, any knowledge you ever need, YouTube, Netflix, FaceTime people on the other side of the planet. 

1 hour ago, 39TDS said:

I felt the same way and someone suggested the iPhone SE. Exactly the same size as a 5S but very much better.

Very happy with mine and a big upgrade from my 5S which was feeling a bit tired (slowed down by apple maybe)

Didn’t think there was much difference between the 5s and SE ? Is the se better speed wise and technology wise ?

28 minutes ago, washerboy said:

Didn’t think there was much difference between the 5s and SE ? Is the se better speed wise and technology wise ?

If you go on to Apple's website you can compare the various phones with each other. At the time I bought it I think the SE was pretty much a 6 in a 5 case.

https://www.apple.com/uk/iphone-se/

Scroll down that link for a comparison with a 5S.

I am very pleased with mine.