hard slog

yickdaz

had a look at the rape again today, shot last sunday in the foul weather for 18 pigeons, no rain or hail today bright sunny day not much wind, Iooked at a few rape fields there was activity on both but decided to look at  a new patch of land we have  never shot before with a huge rape field , it has a massive wood about 1/2 mile long  running the length of it and birds lined the wood all  the way down it, about 500 lifted  when a helicopter flew over it, the closet point to the wood was 400 yards away so it was going to be a trek with the gear, that's were they wanted to be,so we had to go there  we got set up by 1pm and from the off birds started flighting back had to rearrange the decoy pattern and rotary due to them finding it difficult to get in from behind and over the wood, but got it right in the end and had steady shooting for 2 1/2 hrs  we called it a day at 3.30pm and picked 70 lost 6 in the wood behind no way of picking them  due to a deep rivine in the middle of it, 2 trips with gear and dead birds knackered us both but if you want to shoot birds you have to do it 

WP_20180217_15_55_27_Pro.jpg

Yeah, great result Yicky, you're dead right about having to trek to where the birds are feeding, not where you want them to be feeding, it does pay off, but that invariably means a location at the furthest point from your motor, or, in my case, right alongside nearby houses, or a paddock containing horses..!

As for PC carrying sacks with 71 pigeons in each, you must have been an Olympic Weightlifter in a previous life..??, the most I can carry without having to stop for a breather every few yards is 50 birds, and I'm no midget..!:sad1:

Cat.

On 20 February 2018 at 12:29, Catamong said:

Yeah, great result Yicky, you're dead right about having to trek to where the birds are feeding, not where you want them to be feeding, it does pay off, but that invariably means a location at the furthest point from your motor, or, in my case, right alongside nearby houses, or a paddock containing horses..!

As for PC carrying sacks with 71 pigeons in each, you must have been an Olympic Weightlifter in a previous life..??, the most I can carry without having to stop for a breather every few yards is 50 birds, and I'm no midget..!:sad1:

Cat.

We used to carry ninety in each sack, we use ex German double strap kit bags and once they are on your back you just lean forward in the direction of the Diso and go for it. The recovery rate is a lot longer these days and you start feeling pulses all over your body but what the heck you can die in bed.!!!!!

1 hour ago, pigeon controller said:

We used to carry ninety in each sack, we use ex German double strap kit bags and once they are on your back you just lean forward in the direction of the Diso and go for it. The recovery rate is a lot longer these days and you start feeling pulses all over your body but what the heck you can die in bed.!!!!!

The old farm boys used to carry a coomb of barley ( 16 stone 100 kg ) ) and wheat was ( 18 stone 110kg ) , how they done it god above knows , the old bags of cement were 1cwt ( 50kg ) and they were as much as I could carry , I was then six foot and weighed 14 1/2 stone , now they are 25 kg , much more sensible .

How you managed to carry ninety is way out of my league , I am with Catamong , 50 was my maximum , I say was because I am now down to around 35 , if and when I get more I would  sooner make two trips rather than injure myself trying to do it in one .

19 minutes ago, marsh man said:

The old farm boys used to carry a coomb of barley ( 16 stone 100 kg ) ) and wheat was ( 18 stone 110kg ) , how they done it god above knows , the old bags of cement were 1cwt ( 50kg ) and they were as much as I could carry , I was then six foot and weighed 14 1/2 stone , now they are 25 kg , much more sensible .

How you managed to carry ninety is way out of my league , I am with Catamong , 50 was my maximum , I say was because I am now down to around 35 , if and when I get more I would  sooner make two trips rather than injure myself trying to do it in one .

the way I look it 2 lighter trips is better than 1 gruelling one, work smarter not harder 

58 minutes ago, marsh man said:

I still carry two bales of hay , one in each hand at the stables. It's the Desperate Dan pies!!!!!

I remember one Guy posting on here that he used to carry 100 birds in a black plastic bin bag..!!.:no:

I must admit I'm amazed at PC's talent when it comes to pigeon shooting, if I'd had a 200 bird day I couldn't be bothered to set them all out for a photo session with an arctic gale blowing and the light fading, my primary concern would be getting back to the motor..!

There are a fair number of birds in my area, (South Herts), but it simply would not be possible at this time of year to set up at 11.30 and finish up with over 200 birds, even if you were double gunned, there must be phenomenal numbers of birds on PC's patch..?

Cat.

23 hours ago, Catamong said:

I remember one Guy posting on here that he used to carry 100 birds in a black plastic bin bag..!!.:no:

I must admit I'm amazed at PC's talent when it comes to pigeon shooting, if I'd had a 200 bird day I couldn't be bothered to set them all out for a photo session with an arctic gale blowing and the light fading, my primary concern would be getting back to the motor..!

There are a fair number of birds in my area, (South Herts), but it simply would not be possible at this time of year to set up at 11.30 and finish up with over 200 birds, even if you were double gunned, there must be phenomenal numbers of birds on PC's patch..?

Cat.

The average rate per hour is forty birds which is not exceptional, we only had approx two hundred and fifty birds on the field and a large number were shot in pairs. We do not double  gun rather one shoot and the other shoot the next pair in as it is dangerous and difficult to follow on after the first shooter and tends to spook the following birds. Our theory is each shot should be a kill a follow on shot tends to be wasted shot. As the day went on we had eighty plus decoys out on the field which was a great draw and the birds kept coming.

6 hours ago, kenholland said:

sometimes I have to do it in stages, go a few hundred yards drop some down then go back for the rest till I get back to the 4x4. at 68 I can still hold my head up just keep taking the pills and cod liver oil . I wonder what P C is on.

Three pints of coffee between us,