Weather forcast

ditchman

Been fun today, pulled a car and trailer up the hill, a couple of arb boys were clearing a tree in the village so though it best to help them out and then gritted the bottom of the hill and under a abandoned car that had got stuck and they just wandered off even though a grit bin was 10m away from them.

on the tyres front its been a interesting year I still have me "summer" tyres on the 4x4 and there the original ones but only 5" wide and not had a single problem plowing or pulling people out. I have a set of brand new mud tyres ready for when it gets really bad but I might be a convert to a super skinny tyre from now on.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, rovercoupe said:

Been fun today, pulled a car and trailer up the hill, a couple of arb boys were clearing a tree in the village so though it best to help them out and then gritted the bottom of the hill and under a abandoned car that had got stuck and they just wandered off even though a grit bin was 10m away from them.

on the tyres front its been a interesting year I still have me "summer" tyres on the 4x4 and there the original ones but only 5" wide and not had a single problem plowing or pulling people out. I have a set of brand new mud tyres ready for when it gets really bad but I might be a convert to a super skinny tyre from now on.

I’m running economy tyres , they’re meant for 50mpg in the summer . They were supplied on my van from Vw and they’re great. I’m shocked . 

Yep, just started to thaw slowly here in east Leicestershire and that cutting wind has dropped. Rain tomorrow afternooninto the evening so if the temp drops roads could be fun.

Remember back in the sixties when we had two days of freezing rain and black ice. The A45 up along by the old Birmingham Airport was impossible to stand up on. Had a lorry load of salad cream tip over and that didn't help matters at all.  However unlike today within an hour we had a road crew out and a gritter and the road was partially open in two hours, would have been quicker but a lot of broken glass about from the bottles.

We bought an All4 mini 'S' during the summer which is fitted with all weather economy tyres. Thought it might be a bit of a pig in the snow - 200bhp!! But it's been fantastic. Goes anywhere and if you overcook it on the slippery stuff you only have to put a bit more power on and away it goes pulling out of skids. It was only me a a few Landies in our lanes on Friday. Glad it's now going however as my hearing suffering as wife's screams every time we slide a little!

'Tis but a memory here on the South Coast.  Rained hard yesterday which was nice because it de-salted the roads and today dawned without frost. It's relatively mild too, and not a sign of a snowflake... although I suspect many of them are at work or engaged on worthy 'community'. causes.....:lol: