Smoke detectors ... rough night!!

Smokersmith

Folks,

any quick fixes for this?

Last night our smoke detectors started to go off .. around 01 00, then at rough 45 minute intervals.:oops:

They're on the mains, with a 9V battery back up.

The first time I changed all the batteries .. which didn't work. Then finally at around 03 00, I 'solved' the issue by taking out the fuse on the fuse board, and removing all batteries from the units.

I suspect that either cold or age got to the original batteries ... and guess that the low power left some 'faults' inside the units.

So ... do you reckon I should persist with these (circa 15 years old), or get some new ones? :hmm:

23 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

Folks,

any quick fixes for this?

Last night our smoke detectors started to go off .. around 01 00, then at rough 45 minute intervals.

They're on the mains, with a 9V battery back up.

The first time I changed all the batteries .. which didn't work. Then finally at around 03 00, I 'solved' the issue by taking out the fuse on the fuse board, and removing all batteries from the units.

I suspect that either cold or age got to the original batteries ... and guess that the low power left some 'faults' inside the units.

So ... do you reckon I should persist with these (circa 15 years old), or get some new ones?

I think you will find that they are still subject to periodic replacement? The fact trey are mains fed, just meant you never had time without them doing their job "in theory" but they should still require changing every nowcand then surely? I thought you had to replace them every ten year or so anyway? 

I replace the kitchen one one every three as when you look at the periodic build up of grease on some surfaces due to cooking, it will be building up inside sensor surely? 

The others get vacuumed a few times a year to try and keep the dust out.

use the hoover nozzle to clean any dust etc out.

If anything like that happens ALWAYS call out the fire service. Yes you don't want to bother them, but they don't mind. I have been to a similar instance where we eventually found, using thermal vision equipment, that someone had stubbed out a cigarette in a pot plant and it was gently smoldering

We had this, every room had a smoke detector 240 and 9v battery backup.

When the battery got low it would bleep every few minutes, we found you had to use a new new battery not ones that had been in the draw just incase for a few years.

A few people had changed the battery only for it to continue and also found that they needed a brand spanking new battery.

We also found dust would set them off, either from the fields or if it sat on the little vents

just had a similar problem and it was only then I noticed the "best before date on them", I've been doing a lot of work around the house recently and I'm guessing (could be wrong) that all of the dust has caused issues, as said £14/each and they're now replaced.

Smoke detectors contain a small amount of americium-241, a radioactive material. Particles  from combustion (usually smoke, but also some fumes) interrupt the low, constant electrical current produced by the radioactive particles and then set off the alarm when the interruption reaches a predetermined level.

The radioactive content does not produce anywhere near enough radiation to be hazardous to health.

29 minutes ago, rovercoupe said:

Are they still radioactive? I was told the old ones used a small source to detect the smoke and as this decays it stops working and has to be replaced?

hello, you right about the radioactivity, just one i think would be as Okrang mention, but some years ago a friend who work for the Radiaton Board had to be involved when a fire destroyed a warehouse full of these kind of detectors 

14 hours ago, rovercoupe said:

Are they still radioactive? I was told the old ones used a small source to detect the smoke and as this decays it stops working and has to be replaced?

Ionisation detectors, but the industry is moving away from them because disposal is an issue due to the radioactive component.