Farmers Are Up Against It With All This Rain

marsh man

On our local t v station last night they were interviewing a local farmer about the wet conditions and how it was affecting the farming calendar , the field of winter wheat / barley he was standing on looked like a boating lake and he recon he is a month behind , he quoted a folk lore I haven't heard before , he was saying if everything isn't in the field by the time the Cuckoo get here then it to late to put anything else in , I am not so sure he was right in what he was saying but I knew what he was trying to say .

When we went out Monday the grazing fields up the A47 are normally filling up with cattle by now , whereas Monday there wasn't a single cow to be seen and can you wonder why, with every field partly covered with water and some are nearly completely covered also there look very little movement in the growth of the grass , due possibly with all the cold weather we had in March .

So what affect ( if any ) will it have on our pigeon shooting , at the movement I don't think there are any peas been drilled yet , some of the field haven't been sprayed and more rain is forecasted over this weekend , gloomy yes , but we can still look forward to P C report on his three figure bag Saturday night come rain or shine :lol:

14 minutes ago, marsh man said:

On our local t v station last night they were interviewing a local farmer about the wet conditions and how it was affecting the farming calendar , the field of winter wheat / barley he was standing on looked like a boating lake and he recon he is a month behind , he quoted a folk lore I haven't heard before , he was saying if everything isn't in the field by the time the Cuckoo get here then it to late to put anything else in , I am not so sure he was right in what he was saying but I knew what he was trying to say .

When we went out Monday the grazing fields up the A47 are normally filling up with cattle by now , whereas Monday there wasn't a single cow to be seen and can you wonder why, with every field partly covered with water and some are nearly completely covered also there look very little movement in the growth of the grass , due possibly with all the cold weather we had in March .

So what affect ( if any ) will it have on our pigeon shooting , at the movement I don't think there are any peas been drilled yet , some of the field haven't been sprayed and more rain is forecasted over this weekend , gloomy yes , but we can still look forward to P C report on his three figure bag Saturday night come rain or shine :lol:

my spring crops are still not in fields under water! this time last year drilled 5th March and up,

Farmers are in the **** as the knock-on affect will affect gain price for all game shoots.

at the min two off my neighbouring farms are forking out 3k plus a week just on silage. these cows should be out,

winter crops will be that pour a crop of winter wheat will struggle 2 ton acre,

2 minutes ago, JDog said:

Not a good time to be an arable farmer. Pigeon shooters should note that they will be low down on the farmer's priorities at the moment and discretion will be called for.

Jdog not good time for the arable farmer??? what about all the sheep framers with lambs and ewes under snow, dairy/beef farmers with cows still not out on grass.

the knock-on will affect's is feed cost for all not just farmers.

you just worry about your pigeons. 

4 minutes ago, The gouse said:

Jdog not good time for the arable farmer??? what about all the sheep framers with lambs and ewes under snow, dairy/beef farmers with cows still not out on grass.

the knock-on will affect's is feed cost for all not just farmers.

you just worry about your pigeons. 

Of course the point that I made was to be considerate towards farmers. Pigeon shooting comes nowhere compared to farming activities.

2 minutes ago, JDog said:

Of course the point that I made was to be considerate towards farmers. Pigeon shooting comes nowhere compared to farming activities.

point was taken mate but you just highlighted arable farmers when for the arable farmer will come out:lol: its the sheep/beef/dairy farmers that are in the ****

14 minutes ago, The gouse said:

point was taken mate but you just highlighted arable farmers when for the arable farmer will come out:lol: its the sheep/beef/dairy farmers that are in the ****

Agreed. I should have included livestock farmers.

Helping with some post and rail fencing yesterday, where about 100 young heifers should be out grazing. It is waterlogged and in 25yrs I have never seen it over the track there.

My wood is awash with water lying in every depression. I have about 19 trees to cull out but will just drop them and then pull them out in a couple of months when hopefully it dries enough to get a tractor in without doing too much damage.  I think it is the wettest I have seen everywhere I go for at least thirty years, short snap floods yes, but this has just gone on and on.

I think that all the rain could end up helping decoyers out in some ways. Some fields may get drilled with poor seed beds, and being later could mean flocks have split up more. All of my better bags on drillings have been later drilled fields. As usual, experience and reconnaissance can help to maximise any extra opportunities.

There was recently a thread on one of the other sites about depression and at the moment farmers must be very high on the list for a perfect candidate , I know several who are very resilient and just take it as it comes but even these hardy folk can only absorb so much , so hopefully things will soon get back to normal and the farmers can get back to what they are good at and that is farming .

With a grain crop I dare say that when conditions allow most farmers can drill it at the same time , whereas with peas , the drillings have to be staggered so the pea viner can pick fresh peas each day . still with todays modern machinery they only need a few days to prepare the land and do the drilling , although at the moment getting the few right days is the hardest part .

Well I’m shucking  the towel in on spring crops if the ground is not fit by Sunday, and with this rain I have more chance off growing tits and winning miss world! Than growing wheat and barley.

Tried to plough on Sunday just to wet and there is no point if I cannot get a descent seed. 

15 minutes ago, The gouse said:

Well I’m shucking  the towel in on spring crops if the ground is not fit by Sunday, and with this rain I have more chance off growing tits and winning miss world! Than growing wheat and barley.

Tried to plough on Sunday just to wet and there is no point if I cannot get a descent seed. 

Well Steve you could always turn it into that wildlife pond you were talking about. ;)

53 minutes ago, The gouse said:

Up until yesterday things had started to show the first signs of drying out , then last night it rained again for most of the night leaving everywhere sodden wet again , just looked at the forecast , and the weekend is looking better , well it couldn't get any worse could it ?

10 minutes ago, old'un said:

Whats the latest you can sow your game cover (Kale) June??

The best kale I grow is in by the first week in June. 

If wheat and barley not in by Sunday then it will all go down to maize.

31 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Up until yesterday things had started to show the first signs of drying out , then last night it rained again for most of the night leaving everywhere sodden wet again , just looked at the forecast , and the weekend is looking better , well it couldn't get any worse could it ?

No mate it could not get worse????

3 minutes ago, marsh man said:

One of our local farmers was saying on the radio , that the odd ones who were lucky enough to get there sugar beet in haven't yet seen any signs of germination due to the ground being so cold .:no:

That’s why the seed bed as got to be right if not then just tip bags of pound coins in the drill.