Panorama (Merged threads)

BlaserF3

Seen the price of antique 44 Russian revolvers lately? Do you think that's because they're particularly collectable or because you can still buy the brass? Agreed propellant and primer availability is an issue for a non-ticket holders, but not for someone with a ticket and a willingness to break the law. I'm not one for supporting new legislation, but I think perhaps this is one 'loop hole' that could do us more harm than good and it probably needs to be dealt with. The question is how, an adjustment to the obsolete caliber list would be preferrable to a knee jerk reaction that impacted our freedom to hand load!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looked very closely at Section 58 a few years ago when a gentleman turned up at an event that I was at boasting how he had several .577Snider that he was loading for and using- does seem ridiculous that this is a possibility and surely should be closed to avoid problems for the rest of us down the line.

4 hours ago, wymberley said:

I make no comment about it one way or another, but simply to say that as I understand it it was to protect the witnesses from adverse anything as they will have died before the ( long fogotten by then)  papers are released.

Particularly one high ranking officer who allowed the renewal of Hamilton,s Certicate, against advice from junior officers?

3 hours ago, Jaymo said:

Looked very closely at Section 58 a few years ago when a gentleman turned up at an event that I was at boasting how he had several .577Snider that he was loading for and using- does seem ridiculous that this is a possibility and surely should be closed to avoid problems for the rest of us down the line.

As long as he had tickets for .577 I don’t see the problem. Some members of a pistol/rifle club I belonged to had original as well as Parker Hale .577 Sniders. 

51 minutes ago, Scully said:

As long as he had tickets for .577 I don’t see the problem. Some members of a pistol/rifle club I belonged to had original as well as Parker Hale .577 Sniders. 

The Trafalgar meeting at Bisley every year is all competitions for  junk historical weapons.

Edited by Vince Green

1 hour ago, Scully said:

I think the problem is that Panorama will be highlighting the fact that some villains use these for crime, so they should tighten up the Law.

Its the usual response, attack the Lawful owners when they should be concentrating on villains, but we are an easy target

2 minutes ago, Dekers said:

I think the problem is that Panorama will be highlighting the fact that some villains use these for crime, so they should tighten up the Law.

Its the usual response, attack the Lawful owners when they should be concentrating on villains, but we are an easy target

Exactly this....it was on the 6 o’clock news; I just want to know where they’re getting the primers and powders. 

2 hours ago, Scully said:

He didn’t, and was rather jubilant over the fact, he is an FAC holder but not for the .577

8 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

Pm if you wish to know the details.

Nah...smells a bit fishy to me. 

3 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

They did say one website asked for it one didn't... Soooo...... Kind of

So do any reloaders know of a website where you don’t need proof of a ticket for primers or powders? I’m pretty sure if it leant credence to the presenters agenda it would have been exposed during the making of the programme?

Edited by Scully

Sensationalism! Panorama just winding the public up, making it against the law to own an obsolete calibre gun or imposing a licensing system, will only affect the law abiding collectors........the criminals won't give a ***** they will still get guns, obsolete calibre or not! And will carry on illegally obtaining cartridges or the components to modify and manufacture ammunition to fit!.....why? Because they are criminals!.........And the police can't catch em!

Another example of the authorities being seen to be doing something!........even though they know it will be an illusion!

Edited by panoma1

7 minutes ago, Scully said:

So do any reloaders know of a website where you don’t need proof of a ticket for primers or powders? I’m pretty sure if it leant credence to the presenters agenda it would have been exposed during the making of the programme?

By no means am i sticking up for that unbelievablly bias reporting.. Just quoting whatvwas said on it. 

Edited by ShootingEgg

7 minutes ago, Scully said:

Can be a fishy as you like- thought you liked a bit of a conspiracy theory or two, certainly would seem so from the Brexit postings ?

But I do agree on your second part about obtaining primers and powders, a few years ago I could believe that some didn’t always ask but no I’m always asked for my FAC.

But spanner in the works, pop over the Channel and you will find it not so- also Black Powder pistols and powder also on free sale to anyone over 18.

I’m here now and need some powder for the 38 so will let you know if it’s not too ‘fishy’

Just finished watching this ,absolutely frightening the ease with which these guns can be brought legally into the u.k.

As a firearms certificate holder myself i am left wondering just why we have to go through the process of inspections , interviews etc to get licenced when a hand gun which is a banned weapon in the u.k.( post Dunblane) is so easy to get hold of.

As a by line there are an awful lot easier ways to arm one of these guns then was shown tonight ,those of us on here who shoot regularly will no doubt know these methods and be equally horrified .

7 hours ago, guzzicat said:

I have thought for a long time some obsolete calibres were wide open to abuse 44rf, move firing pin,32rf, hilti rounds Etc where there is a willEtc.

+1

Edited by Jega

8 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

Can be a fishy as you like- thought you liked a bit of a conspiracy theory or two, certainly would seem so from the Brexit postings ?

But I do agree on your second part about obtaining primers and powders, a few years ago I could believe that some didn’t always ask but no I’m always asked for my FAC.

But spanner in the works, pop over the Channel and you will find it not so- also Black Powder pistols and powder also on free sale to anyone over 18.

I’m here now and need some powder for the 38 so will let you know if it’s not too ‘fishy’

I meant your post was fishy, nothing else. If you have nothing to hide then post it. 

Theres no conspiracy theory that I know of regarding Brexit, but you can start another thread on it if you know otherwise. 

You can buy some ‘off ticket’ primers and powders on the continent if you want, although I’m not too sure about the legalities of returning to the UK with them.