Crows and ducklings.

JDog

I was sat a few weeks ago watching a hen and drake chasing herons away from their ducklings. 

Yesterday two.pigeons chased a magpie away, that's the first time I've seen pigeons do this.

Shows just how much we do be if it's the little birds.

Years ago on a sloping suburban street i watched a pair of crows decimate what looked like a recent hatch of 5/6 starlings. Systematically working downhill disabling their prey by maiming each one in turn to stop escape then returning to mop them up. Very efficient.

Some years back I was flying RC planes at my local club.

Just to the south was an Ash tree full of woodies and squabs. A Buzzard started circling the tree. Two or three Pigeons flew out of the tree and started flapping near it to distract the Buzzard. In the meantime several adults and squabs flew out of the other side of the tree and went to a nearby wood. A couple of the adults hung back and started flapping around the other side, thus distracting the Buzzard to the other side of the tree whilst the original two or three plus several squabs flew away to the wood.

This was repeated several times until all the Pigeons escaped and the Buzzard was left circling an empty tree.

Another day on one of my permissions I saw a murder of Crows decimating a covey of Partridge chicks. They'd killed the lot before I could get close enough to scare them off.

Well done Mrs Duck😊

13 minutes ago, Cranfield said:

Well done the duck.

The other side of this particular episode is that I have frequently seen a pair of crows completely wreck  magpie nests and take all the fledglings .
The aerial battles with the magpies are something to see, but the crows always win. 

I was canoieing in the Tay and watched a heron pick off goosander chicks which I thought was pretty good for the salmon, well for that day at least.

1 minute ago, henry d said:

I was canoieing in the Tay and watched a heron pick off goosander chicks which I thought was pretty good for the salmon, well for that day at least.

Yep if they want to help the Salmon runs the authorities could start by authorising the control of avian predators the sawbills such as Goosander, Mergansers and the Cormorant.