Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Jacko3275

First solo shoot

Recommended Posts

I’m going shooting on this field Sunday its rape stubble that was cut yesterday while I was scouting it... the flight lines where all over the place in to the wood at the top of the field then from the sitty trees in to the field... I was thinking of setting up next to the hedge round about where the G is wrote and flagging the other side of the field or would I be better under the wood tree line ... your thoughts and advice please

A17870CC-F439-40A1-B540-0B825392501F.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am delighted that you have found somewhere to shoot.

No one can give you advice about where to set up unless they have seen the flight lines themselves on the day of the shoot. Watch for a while and make your own assessment of the situation.

Good luck. I hope you get a few.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, JDog said:

I am delighted that you have found somewhere to shoot.

No one can give you advice about where to set up unless they have seen the flight lines themselves on the day of the shoot. Watch for a while and make your own assessment of the situation.

Good luck. I hope you get a few.

Cheers... I booked it with NPPC it’s not my own perm but it’s still something and all part of my learning curve 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As above. Take a few minutes to just watch the field.  That might cause confusion because often you will find two and sometimes three flightlines coming in.  As said almost impossible to advise as the conditions wind etc may be totally different tomorrow but almost always good to have the wind from behind but personally I like to try and set up with the wind coming from my left shoulder as I can shoot better on a crosser right to left.  Whatever , have fun and hope the weather holds good for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at your picture I would say G is a good spot if the birds are all over the field….But, as JDog said without seeing the field on the day and where the birds are coming from and going to on the field its difficult to say, the obvious thing is if avoidable, don’t have the wind and sun in your face, also on a field that size you may well see a change in flight lines once the gun starts talking.

 

Good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hi jacko pm me with which field,if its one im familier with might be able to give you some pointers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, hawkfanz said:

hi jacko pm me with which field,if its one im familier with might be able to give you some pointers.

You’ll book it for sat now you know it’s a fresh cropped field😜😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The wind is forecast W to SW 11mph with 17mph gusts would a banger at the bottom of the field help 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

we want a write up good or bad please.....:good:

in the past when i had more free time i wrote up a 10 paragraph post with 5 pics...on shooting nothing :lol:

Edited by ditchman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ditchman said:

we want a write up good or bad please.....:good:

in the past when i had more free time i wrote up a 10 paragraph post with 5 pics...on shooting nothing 

:good: It was the best :lol:

Looking forward to the thread ' Making nothing useful from something worth having'. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Jacko3275 said:

You’ll book it for sat now you know it’s a fresh cropped field😜😂

Can/will they allow someone else to book the same field once someone as booked it?

If the wind as you say is S/SW on Sunday I would not setup against the big wood if pigeons are coming over the top of it to get to the field, unless you would like to have some fast high bird shooting as they come over.

Edited by old'un

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So looking at the info on the image .

Im a right handed shooter so i would set up roughly where the e is .that way id struggle to put a shot over that lane to my right .and id have an entire field to my left to swing into .sun behind me all day and wind also from behind ish .also im not too close to the wood holding all the pigeons  .if i was finding that my shots were still clearing the wood of birds id possibly swap to a hushpower to reduce the noise .

I wouldnt set up back to the wood personally .

Cheers 

I dont think id flag any part of the field  its not very big really. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, old'un said:

Can/will they allow someone else to book the same field once someone as booked it?

If the wind as you say is S/SW on Sunday I would not setup against the big wood if pigeons are coming over the top of it to get to the field, unless you would like to have some fast high bird shooting as they come over.

You book by the day and I cannot make it till Sunday with work 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't worry too much about getting it exactly right Jacko, just go out and enjoy the day. You will build your experience from here on in. I would advise some simple home made flags to keep birds off other parts off the field as they can't work well in the wind.

And remember leave only footprints and hopefully lots of feathers.

Good luck:good: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ditchman said:

we want a write up good or bad please.....:good:

in the past when i had more free time i wrote up a 10 paragraph post with 5 pics...on shooting nothing :lol:

I’m not very learned when it comes to writing stories/ tales of adventure so it will be short an sweet and hopefully about a good first day

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jacko3275 said:

I’m not very learned when it comes to writing stories/ tales of adventure so it will be short an sweet and hopefully about a good first day

no it wont...........................write as yew speak boi............never mind the spelling its the comunication that is important..........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The old saying is , you learn by your mistakes , and like the rest of us you will make some .

Not to put a dampener on your day , but I would be dubious if it was shot the day before you go and weather the field has been left long enough from it being cut , if when you get there you see a nice lot of pigeons when you get there , you want to spend a bit of time just watching them before you set your stall out .

Have you got any mechanical aids ( for pigeon shooting ) ? , if you haven't you might be better off under , or within range of a sitty tree and hopefully get a few shots at pigeons coming into it , when you put your decoys out you want to get them slightly higher than the stubble so Pigeons can see them from a distance.

GOOD LUCK and if you get any , then it will be a P B while shooting solo :good:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, marsh man said:

The old saying is , you learn by your mistakes , and like the rest of us you will make some .

Not to put a dampener on your day , but I would be dubious if it was shot the day before you go and weather the field has been left long enough from it being cut , if when you get there you see a nice lot of pigeons when you get there , you want to spend a bit of time just watching them before you set your stall out .

Have you got any mechanical aids ( for pigeon shooting ) ? , if you haven't you might be better off under , or within range of a sitty tree and hopefully get a few shots at pigeons coming into it , when you put your decoys out you want to get them slightly higher than the stubble so Pigeons can see them from a distance.

GOOD LUCK and if you get any , then it will be a P B while shooting solo :good:

I’m hoping it ain’t shot the day before ( that’s why I ain’t told Hawk Fans) 👍and I only have  half shell decoys one of which I have made some wings for to turn in to a floater  I’m a total novice at this apart from the 3 day tuition off of jdog who is a full of knowledge so hopefully enough to get me on my way

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jacko3275 said:

I’m hoping it ain’t shot the day before ( that’s why I ain’t told Hawk Fans) 👍and I only have  half shell decoys one of which I have made some wings for to turn in to a floater  I’m a total novice at this apart from the 3 day tuition off of jdog who is a full of knowledge so hopefully enough to get me on my way

In that case I would certainly get near a tree with the wind on your back or going away either from the right or left , do not sit there with a strong wind blowing in your face , put your decoys out as far as you are happy to take the pigeons on and hopefully some will come towards the tree and offer you a shot , any dead ones you can lay out with the wings open on top of the stalks or the straw if it is going to be baled up .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for the advice guys if  I get one or two it’s a start and less to eat crops if I get none its an  experience to learn from 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jacko3275 said:

I’m hoping it ain’t shot the day before ( that’s why I ain’t told Hawk Fans) 👍and I only have  half shell decoys one of which I have made some wings for to turn in to a floater  I’m a total novice at this apart from the 3 day tuition off of jdog who is a full of knowledge so hopefully enough to get me on my way

you could of buddied up seeing as he might know the field just a thought 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, yickdaz said:

you could of buddied up seeing as he might know the field just a thought 

Read the title FIRST SOLO SHOOT it wouldn’t be if I buddied up but I will be open to it in future..a good man once told me if you get a permission don’t tell even your best mate 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Jacko3275 said:

Read the title FIRST SOLO SHOOT it wouldn’t be if I buddied up but I will be open to it in future..a good man once told me if you get a permission don’t tell even your best mate 

and it also says looking for advice in the post, but whatever you choose hope it works out 

Edited by yickdaz
.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, oowee said:

:good: It was the best 

Looking forward to the thread ' Making nothing useful from something worth having'. 

that is awesome............and im going to have that cut upon my gravestone..........totally sums my life up.........and when people visit the churchyard, they will see those words and wet themselves laughing.......

that has made my day:lol::good:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Jacko3275 said:

You’ll book it for sat now you know it’s a fresh cropped field😜😂

jacko i have no need to do that,i get loads of shooting both local,and on nppc ground,and i have met many of the farmers out there as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...