Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
snow white

Cancer in our dog

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Morning all the other week our springer was diagnosed with mast cell tumour its a lump on her back leg.

Do we have operation to remove it or do we leave it the vet said that they can’t guarantee getting all of the cancer out.

If they don’t get it all out some of the cancer will still be in her at the moment she doesn’t seem aware of it being there if they start probing about it could spread what would you do.she is in no pain you can touch the lump and she doesn’t flinch or move away.

The money is not a problem she is eleven years old we don’t want to put her down reading about it and talking to some shooting friends they are saying leave it alone as anybody else had experience with the form of cancer.

Please doesn’t say put her down as that will not happen yet she is running round and playing with her daughter and going mad when I get gun out to go on the crows what a todo

Edited by snow white

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My mate's dog had one removed at 3 years old (ridgeback) the vet told him it would probably come back but it didn't

and the dog lived to be 16 years old. that's a good old age for a ridgeback. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our old Jack Russell has had cancerous lumps and bumps for a few years now , the vets advice was , just carry on as normal,  as long as he's in no pain its the best thing to do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a Basset develop a mast cell tumour on his flank at about 8 years old. They are very aggressive and fast growing cancers, start in the skin and spread to the other organs, had no choice but to have it removed as far as I was concerned. My vet (who I know very well and trust) removed it, he had to go as and wide and deep as the site allowed to ensure a good margin around the tumour but it was successful. Pippin lived until over 14 when old age and renal insufficiency got the better of him. If I was in this position again I'd make the same decision.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I would say this isn't a question to ask on here but one to have with an experienced vet, who you trust. I must stress the last part. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s one of them do we have operation or not the vet we trust very much she is a good friend we asked her and she said it could come back then it might not we don’t now which way to go.

I took her out this morning with her daughter you would think she is the young one we are not normally like this we make our minds up and do it but this is something different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If its not a large tumour and is operable at present I would go for removal of the tumour, if its left it could become inoperable due to it growing into surrounding tissue and bone.

As been said, get a second opinion, preferably from a specialist vet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well we are of to see the vet this afternoon to have a good talk she is advertising open but we am both unsure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think  any vet would be loth to  guarantee any results, I personaly would go for removal, give the dog it;s best shot at life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Did the vet mean that they doubted they could give a sufficient margin around the tumour 🤔

 

Edited by bigbird

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are having it removed next Tuesday the vet said that they can’t guarantee getting all the stem cells out as the might have spread out.

we will have to wait and see she might have to have chemotherapy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

IMHO you should have had it removed within days of discovering the lump - time is vitally important when trying to prevent this disease spreading. Hope all goes well with the op - life's a **** when your best mate is ill.

Edited by bruno22rf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d have thought they might suggest taking the whole leg off...

Best of luck, fingers crossed everything goes well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You may well trust your friend but because she is a friend she may not be the best person to ask, is she a general vet? plus not all vets are equal, get a second opinion from a specialist in this field.

Sometime ago I had a spaniel who fractured his elbow, took him to my local vet who I had been with for a number of years and trusted, he x-rayed the dog and could find nothing wrong, said the dog may have done some muscle or tendon damage, a week later and the dog seemed worse so I ask for a referral, so off we went to Willows Referral Service, Solihull.

The dog was left there overnight and on my return I spoke to the bone and joint specialist, he informed me the dog had a inch long fracture running from the elbow down the bone (not across it) asked why this was not picked up by my vet, he said this type of fracture is very hard to spot unless you know what you are looking for, said something about the joint having to-be rotated a few degrees at a time and 10 or 15 x-rays taken, he said it was a good job I asked for a referral as the bone could have split all the way to the dog wrist.

That’s what I mean when I say not all vets are equal.     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

on a positive note , my last dog had cancer in his jaw , i took him to the local vet , the vet advised that nothing could be done , and to just keep him happy for as long as he wasnt in pain . a few days or weeks later , we had an unexpected call from the local vet , he said that hed been talking to the main man at the vets school at cambridge university , he explained that the guy was the vet that wrote the books that other vets studied from  , and said that he would like to take a look out of curiosity , to cut a long story short , the operation was a success , and we had another seven happy years together.

ps, the operation was to cost two months wages , i explained to my late wife( the most calm and easy going woman in the world) that as much as we loved our dog , i just couldnt justify spending so much money , as we had other responsibilities like kids and food etc , over the following days , my wife and young daughter wouldnt even acknowledge my presence , no words, no eye contact , no food , no clean clothes ,  zippo !!!, i soon changed my mind :yes:.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are in a hard place, my older Gwp has a slight lump under her jaw.  She is 12 and I am lucky having an old school vet for a father who said just keep an eye on it. It’s of a size and location not to worry about.  

I think at this age it’s a very hard decision as you can get led down the path of spending thousands to get another 6 months to year.  I wouldn’t put a dog through chemotherapy but that’s me.  If this lump starts to grow we will consider removal but it’s shown no change in 6 months so far

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our lab had cancer in his leg, wich was above where he broke it as a pup, although the vet said it was just coincidence the cancer appeared there. This was last September & we thought he was limping for other reasons. We had his rear leg removed & he seemed fine afterwards. Unfortunately he went off his food & seemed to struggle getting up/down the sofa & wasn't moving much. I took him to the vets where they did the ultrasound & found there was fluid on his lung as well as a cancerous tumour, so at 11 years old they advised us it was best to put him to sleep. We at least got another 9 months of happy times with him & he coped well on 3 legs & it gave him a shot at a longer life. My opinion is have the leg removed & give him a shot as you will be surprised at how well they cope. If the time comes where it returns, then have her put down knowing you gave her a chance. We didn't want to put him through the chemo etc at his age & on 3 legs, as It would have been too much. It is a hard decision to go through, as our lab was a family pet first & a shooting companion who we had from a puppy & before our kids came along. Whatever you decide & however much it pains you to do so, you have to put their quality of life first.

Dan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thing I have miss lead some of you saying she as cancer in her leg the lump we have found is in the skin at the end of body where skin joins the leg sorry if miss lead you we nipped her for second opinion this morning and vet said that it needs to come out so she is having it done as stated next Tuesday morning just wish we had done it six weeks ago been done with now so no shoot for her or the miss September.

Will keep you posted how we get on with her after opp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope it went well? I imagine the lump got sent away for histology but you can do a further test called immunohistochemistry if it is a MCT and that will give you a better idea how the lump will behave/likely spread. Hopefully they’ll get margins. Fingers crossed for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...