BREXIT

JohnfromUK

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, oowee said:

Russian meddling in UK politics. What does the report say? Interesting. Who has been duped by Putin? 

You don't think the two Blondes are moles do you? 

Corbyn= Comrade Starmer, were gonna get hammered in this election, some pollsters are talking about us losing 100 seats!  What can we do? 

Starmer= Can't we use the 'Russian' thing again, like we tried with Leave EU? Hillary said it nearly worked on Trump! 

Corbyn = I don't know, it's getting a bit tired, blaming everything on Russia surely? And I was hoping to retire there, besides the fact its completely untrue. 

Starmer= Yes, but so are  most of the things the party say nowadays, I don't see a problem... 

Corbyn = Go for it comrade, most of the electorate are stupid peasants anyway! 

10 hours ago, Rewulf said:

Corbyn= Comrade Starmer, were gonna get hammered in this election, some pollsters are talking about us losing 100 seats!  What can we do? 

Starmer= Can't we use the 'Russian' thing again, like we tried with Leave EU? Hillary said it nearly worked on Trump! 

Corbyn = I don't know, it's getting a bit tired, blaming everything on Russia surely? And I was hoping to retire there, besides the fact its completely untrue. 

Starmer= Yes, but so are  most of the things the party say nowadays, I don't see a problem... 

Corbyn = Go for it comrade, most of the electorate are stupid peasants anyway! 

Lol. Yeah so the UK leave Government is holding back on the dossier because it puts the opposition in bad light 😛

In other news I see that the EU courts have ruled that produce from Israeli settlements must be clearly labelled as such, are they the next lot to be accused on being anti-Semites. Personally I think it's the right thing to do and hope, regardless of Brexit, that it's a policy the UK also undertakes.

1 hour ago, Raja Clavata said:

Lol. Yeah so the UK leave Government is holding back on the dossier because it puts the opposition in bad light 😛

In other news I see that the EU courts have ruled that produce from Israeli settlements must be clearly labelled as such, are they the next lot to be accused on being anti-Semites. Personally I think it's the right thing to do and hope, regardless of Brexit, that it's a policy the UK also undertakes.

Spot on. I try to avoid the stuff now but it's not so easy. 

Withholding the  Russian meddling report is a worrying step in the wrong direction. Add in the lack of a coherent proposition or strategy for Brexit, the absence of informed debate on the subject, the rubbishing of individuals, the polarisation of the arguments and you have all of the ingredients for a descent into political lunacy. 

1 hour ago, Raja Clavata said:

The 'dossier' (just a report really, but dossier sounds more like someone has been naughty) is being checked for accuracy and possible security/data protection, by the TREASURY. 

All perfectly normal procedure, and in no way insinuates that Russian business donors to ALL mainstream UK political parties are in any way 'dodgy' 

Frankly, to listen to some lefty media, you would think Putin had personally bankrolled the tories, BP and any other 'far right' group, with his 200 billion personal fortune 🤣

2 hours ago, Raja Clavata said:

other news I see that the EU courts have ruled that produce from Israeli settlements must be clearly labelled as such, are they the next lot to be accused on being anti-Semites. Personally I think it's the right thing to do and hope, regardless of Brexit, that it's a policy the UK also undertakes

I was under the impression that all imported goods needed country of origin to be displayed? 

Are they actually saying they want to see 'Israeli settlements'? Or just produce /made in Israel? 

The latter I don't see a problem with, the former has a politician connotation, which I do. 

4 minutes ago, oowee said:

Withholding the  Russian meddling report is a worrying step in the wrong direction

Apparently, even Dominic Grieve (who chaired the committee that wrote the report) admits it doesn't contain any 'bombshells'. 

the EU courts have ruled that produce from Israeli settlements must be clearly labelled as such

If this means there is a different label for "Produce of Israel" to "Produce of a settlement in the occupied territories", then I don't see the Israelis complying.

On a personal basis I try and buy local 'fresh' produce based (loosely) in the following order of precedence:

1. Local to my area
  2. UK produced
  3. Dutch produced (salad items)
  4. Elsewhere

I generally do my best to avoid long distance 'fresh' produce - partly because it usually has a lack of flavour.  The only things I can think of having bought from Israel are avocados, though I have seen various other 'fresh' produce.

12 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Apparently, even Dominic Grieve (who chaired the committee that wrote the report) admits it doesn't contain any 'bombshells'. 

If this means there is a different label for "Produce of Israel" to "Produce of a settlement in the occupied territories", then I don't see the Israelis complying.

On a personal basis I try and buy local 'fresh' produce based (loosely) in the following order of precedence:

1. Local to my area
  2. UK produced
  3. Dutch produced (salad items)
  4. Elsewhere

I generally do my best to avoid long distance 'fresh' produce - partly because it usually has a lack of flavour.  The only things I can think of having bought from Israel are avocados, though I have seen various other 'fresh' produce.

I've also seen blueberries from Israel, which I put back on the shelf. If the Israelis don't want to comply then that's fine, I'll just continue to do my best to avoid anything from there.

I've also seen blueberries from Israel, which I put back on the shelf. If the Israelis don't want to comply then that's fine, I'll just continue to do my best to avoid anything from there.

Best chuck half of your Masonic gear out then 😂

On 13/11/2019 at 09:21, Raja Clavata said:

I really don't get the whole anti Israeli thing, and I'm quite glad really.

6 hours ago, Raja Clavata said:

On a serious note, is an anti Zionist Jew anti-Semitic?

Not necessarily, I think that someone can oppose the policies of Israel without being anti-semitic.  However, in many cases there is sophistry in the argument presented by those who are advocating an anti-semitic message dressed up as anti-Zionism.  The inverse of that is of course that those who do genuinely oppose Israeli policy are often unfairly besmirched as anti-semites.

Danial Finkelstein has written a number of articles in the Times about this which I have found interesting.  It is a complex, highly nuanced and hugely emotive debate of course, understandably so.

6 hours ago, Raja Clavata said:

On a serious note, is an anti Zionist Jew anti-Semitic?

I would say they are just anti zionist? Otherwise you are moving into a conundrum of whether... 

Can you be racist against your own race?

You could ask the people of the Balkans, Africa or the far and middle east. 

27 minutes ago, oowee said:

While the UK prattles on. Berlin Rocks. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50400068

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/tesla-gigafactory-musk-brexit?utm_medium=applenews&utm_source=applenews

Musk said Brexit uncertainty “made it too risky to put a gigafactory in the UK”. But there was never much hope of that anyway.

so just another  non starter 

Edited by martyn2233

41 minutes ago, oowee said:

While the UK prattles on. Berlin Rocks. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50400068

A serious kick in the gonads for the UK government, its industrial strategy and investment around the Faraday Challenge etc. Not quite a Coup de grace but would have offset the impact of the Dyson EV failure somewhat.

Berlin is certainly looking like the place to be for cutting edge automotive in Europe and a nicer / trendier environment than the likes of Munich for example. VW are setting up a software engineering capability there with up to 6000 staff with Berlin chosen to try and attract the young dynamic types.