Best way of taking payment

Lloyd90

I have provisionally sold my motorbike tonight, the bloke came to have a look and said he wanted it and will come to pickup next week.

He asked for bank details and said he will pay a deposit into my account for the bike.

Total price is £1000. Is there any issue with someone paying cash into an account etc when selling a vehicle? 

4 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

I have provisionally sold my motorbike tonight, the bloke came to have a look and said he wanted it and will come to pickup next week.

He asked for bank details and said he will pay a deposit into my account for the bike.

Total price is £1000. Is there any issue with someone paying cash into an account etc when selling a vehicle? 

you'll be OK for a grand as its below the money laundering regs........

No I just wondered, to make sure it's not one of those scams where they do a "deposit" that later somehow gets cancelled etc. 

2 minutes ago, B725 said:

It's no different to selling owt else it's not like your a motor dealer, is there a side car with it 😂

Yes but my dog is too leggy now and has out grown it lol 

in certain circumstances a bank transfer can be reversed/recalled/cancelled. Along the lines of the purchaser pays in a stolen/forged/fraudelent chq and transfers of the back of that when it clears, Bank later catches up and it all comes to light monies are recalled. 

Edited by Rupert

look for reasuring factors, photo ID, take copies,

put there name into google/facebook

street view  the address on street view, ask him to describe it

google his mobile number

do pictures in his add feature the home address, 

get a picture taken today with todays paper and the bike

cash paid over the counter at your branch together is least risky.

For trusted dealings between trusted folk BT is the handyest but not risk free

edit, some of this not relevant as you are the seller. just jumped in and skip read the thread.

Edited by Rupert

I recently bought/sold cars privately. Bought by online bank transfer when standing beside the seller, I could see monies sent and he could check received.

Sold my car for cash but went to the bank with the buyer and paid cash directly into my account, I’ve no idea what £100 notes should look like, never mind fake ones. 

Online banking transfer was for 10k. No issues. 

Edited to add I did just as Pistol says above and sent £1 first, earlier in the day. 

Edited by hod

When I have sold cars for upto a couple of grand I have asked for cash - mrs taken it straight into the bank, run through their machine all checked and good to go and done the paperwork. 

They have all been happy enough for it to happen that way while we had a brew and prepped the paperwork 

anything over was bank transfer as said above both there. 

As soon as it hit the account I moved it to our attached savings instantly just incase

Edited by ph5172

9 hours ago, ph5172 said:

When I have sold cars for upto a couple of grand I have asked for cash - mrs taken it straight into the bank, run through their machine all checked and good to go and done the paperwork. 

They have all been happy enough for it to happen that way while we had a brew and prepped the paperwork 

anything over was bank transfer as said above both there. 

As soon as it hit the account I moved it to our attached savings instantly just incase

Moving money to a different account wouldn’t stop the Bank refunding if there were a chargeback 

On 07/09/2019 at 06:28, Jaymo said:

Moving money to a different account wouldn’t stop the Bank refunding if there were a chargeback 

How is a charge back done? 

The initial seller didn't message me back when I asked him to deffo confirm as I was having a lot of interest. I told him until money changes hands its still for sale.

Bloke and his wife turned up today just now, he showed me the cash in his account on his phone banking, and transferred the money into my account right in front of me.

Money showed up instantly into my account. 

Hope that there isn't any charge back nonsense now but they seemed alright and I have their address etc from the V5 and I noted their driving licence details.