Coronavirus (Covid-19) Is this it?

Doc Holliday

For those with access to isopropyl alcohol (IPA) you can make your own hand wipes by getting a pack of baby wipes and soaking them in the 70% IPA. Put them in a good sealed food storage box after this to stop the IPA evaporating.

Great for hand cleaning, shopping trolley handles. Car handles and steering wheels. Anywhere to stop virus being tracked home.

Edited by loriusgarrulus

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, loriusgarrulus said:

For those with access to isopropyl alcohol (IPA) you can make your own hand wipes by getting a pack of baby wipes and soaking them in the 70% IPA. Put them in a good sealed food storage box after this to stop the IPA evaporating.

Great for hand cleaning, shopping trolley handles. Car handles and steering wheels. Anywhere to stop virus being tracked home.

👍

Just heard on the news. theres a suspected case of the virus on an oil rig. nows thats a B if you are at the end of your shift

9 minutes ago, islandgun said:

👍

Just heard on the news. theres a suspected case of the virus on an oil rig. nows thats a B if you are at the end of your shift

https://www.energyvoice.com/coronavirus/229123/flights-suspended-to-totals-culzean-field-amid-suspected-coronavirus-case-on-maersk-rig/

Found a link.,Bad news for the staff. ☹

I've heard rumours that some anti malaria drugs may have been found to cure the virus, and that China may have been buying up world stocks of it which goes some way to explaining the slow down of cases - if that is to be believed.

Also heard UK has stopped export sales of those drugs and ordered them off chemist shelves so the public cannot buy them.

28 minutes ago, Mice! said:

20200317_201009.jpg.44dc82ac2d06128552c1b4e2410e5779.jpg

Why do people persistently get taken in by utter trash like that?  Unnamed source with a tenuous link to some unnamed 'expert' source says ..... and of course they are always shared from a friend.

Almost every non steroidal anti-inflammatory drug lists a side effect of respiratory distress in an extremely rare amount of cases and of course this tiny little element becomes the smallest grain of fact that a whole rumour or conspiracy will build around.

I cannot believe folk are still prepared to believe a random FB post over guidelines by the NHS.

3 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

I've heard rumours that some anti malaria drugs may have been found to cure the virus, and that China may have been buying up world stocks of it which goes some way to explaining the slow down of cases - if that is to be believed.

Also heard UK has stopped export sales of those drugs and ordered them off chemist shelves so the public cannot buy them.

I've heard rumours that people who have re-posted baseless and nonsense rumours from social media have had their knobs fall off as evolution kicks in to stop them procreating, thus helping to stop the relentless march of stupid.

Sadly that's not true either, but it should be...

9 minutes ago, grrclark said:

Why do people persistently get taken in by utter trash like that?  Unnamed source with a tenuous link to some unnamed 'expert' source says ..... and of course they are always shared from a friend.

Almost every non steroidal anti-inflammatory drug lists a side effect of respiratory distress in an extremely rare amount of cases and of course this tiny little element becomes the smallest grain of fact that a whole rumour or conspiracy will build around.

I cannot believe folk are still prepared to believe a random FB post over guidelines by the NHS.

I've heard rumours that people who have re-posted baseless and nonsense rumours from social media have had their knobs fall off as evolution kicks in to stop them procreating, thus helping to stop the relentless march of stupid.

Sadly that's not true either, but it should be...

EDIT: who says its being believed? Can you categorically prove it is not fact? So best not post anything else that is on topic but not proven in this topic then hey? Are you facebook police?

Putting it on here gets really really clever people like you to do some digging about the topic because you are clearly better than some of us. 

Edited by Dave-G

5 minutes ago, grrclark said:

Have to agree with you on most of this sort of thing but I have been told by someone I trust 100% if you get this virus don't take anything to reduce fever if you can get any with it but if you must only paracetamol. 

1 minute ago, Dave-G said:

So best not post anything else that is on topic but not proven in this topic then hey? Are you facebook police?

No, just not a fan or promoting stupidity in general.  Many times much of what is posted is actually dangerous.

It's a bit like people who make some remarkably stupid comments and then justify it with "everyone is entitled to an opinion and that's mine" as though that somehow makes stupid ok. 

6 minutes ago, grrclark said:

No, just not a fan or promoting stupidity in general.  Many times much of what is posted is actually dangerous.

It's a bit like people who make some remarkably stupid comments and then justify it with "everyone is entitled to an opinion and that's mine" as though that somehow makes stupid ok. 

Posting it gets the subject discussed to obtain more opinions - some of which may be informed and some not. Can you come up with conclusive facts that prove the claim is tosh?

Just now, bluesj said:

Have to agree with you on most of this sort of thing but I have been told by someone I trust 100% if you get this virus don't take anything to reduce fever if you can get any with it but if you must only paracetamol. 

That's the problem though, i have seen folk who are nurses re-post the cobblers about drinking water to stop the virus going down your trachea, people stop thinking critically and rationally when they are scared and start to believe things that sort of sound plausible.  Even people who are trained and knowledgeable get taken in.

In the case of drinking water it is very unlikely to cause mischief, but if people start being scared about brufen and stop taking it then it can cause other issues, people may have been prescribed NSAIDs over paracetamol as they have hepatic (liver) impairment, but whilst they are scared and panicked about covid19 they decide to take a chance and do themselves real mischief.

1 minute ago, grrclark said:

Many times much of what is posted is actually dangerous.

To be fair, the warning about Ibuprofen did come via 'official sources' both in France and the UK official website.  As has been said, Paracetamol is the one they do suggest on the official websites ......

there is also a question about Ramipril which may make things worse. for those who take it ......... and no official answer other than not to discontinue any medication prescribed without guidance from the doctor (which you won't get at the moment.)

The anti malarial drug Chloroquine (?) has been claimed (in Australia) to be helpful and is a well proven and fully tested and licensed product.  I don't think it has yet been firmly established as helpful, but both it and some sort of anti HIV existing medicine have apparently had good results.  No doubt the scientists will be following up on these as a priority.

I also read that the first human trails of a possible vaccine started yesterday in the USA ...... the initial tests being for any unwanted side effects.  There is no doubt that the scientists are trying all avenues.

20 minutes ago, grrclark said:

I have simple copied what I had been sent and what came up when I Googled but deleted the person's name because I can.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/51929628

If there is suspicion that Ibuprofen can make things worse why not share, maybe even do a search yourself,  but if you know better please do share seeing as the internet and the news aren't good enough.

Just now, Dave-G said:

Posting it gets the subject discussed to obtain more opinions - some of which may be informed and some not. Can you come up with conclusive facts that prove the claim is tosh?

That's my entire point, opinions about rubbish are rubbish.

Can I prove that the comment about the Chinese secretly buying up anti-malaria tablets as they are a cure is rubbish?  Do i really need to?

Well how about considering when there is over a trillion pounds worth of aid being promoted between the UK and US to try and mitigate the economic of this pandemic, if only the combined scientific might of both countries had just consulted Facebook they could have discovered an anti-malarial drug made at tuppence ha'penny was the answer?

17 minutes ago, grrclark said:

That's my entire point, opinions about rubbish are rubbish.

Can I prove that the comment about the Chinese secretly buying up anti-malaria tablets as they are a cure is rubbish?  Do i really need to?

Well how about considering when there is over a trillion pounds worth of aid being promoted between the UK and US to try and mitigate the economic of this pandemic, if only the combined scientific might of both countries had just consulted Facebook they could have discovered an anti-malarial drug made at tuppence ha'penny was the answer?

That's your entire point. Good for you, lovely jubbely. i don't recall passing any of my posts as facts that have been proven.

My point, now proven, is it got the subject discussed by more people who may be able to throw more light on the subject.

I got sent this - but of course really didn't ought to post it up in case you decide it has little merit:

https://ihsmarkit.com/research-analysis/uk-bans-parallel-export-of-two-covid19-treatment-candidates.html

Edit: my son in law tried to buy some at a Boots chemist and was told that they'd been instructed to strip it from their shelves to stop the public buying it.

Edited by Dave-G

1 minute ago, Mice! said:

I have simple copied what I had been sent and what came up when I Googled but deleted the person's name because I can.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/51929628

If there is suspicion that Ibuprofen can make things worse why not share, maybe even do a search yourself,  but if you know better please do share seeing as the internet and the news aren't good enough.

Did you actually read that news article that rubbished the same post that you took a screen shot of?

Yes there are contra-indications for NSAIDs, just as there are contra-indications for paracetamol.  The point is that unattributed sources on the Internet should always be considered with the utmost scepticism.

8 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

To be fair, the warning about Ibuprofen did come via 'official sources' both in France and the UK official website.  As has been said, Paracetamol is the one they do suggest on the official websites ......

there is also a question about Ramipril which may make things worse. for those who take it ......... and no official answer other than not to discontinue any medication prescribed without guidance from the doctor (which you won't get at the moment.)

The anti malarial drug Chloroquine (?) has been claimed (in Australia) to be helpful and is a well proven and fully tested and licensed product.  I don't think it has yet been firmly established as helpful, but both it and some sort of anti HIV existing medicine have apparently had good results.  No doubt the scientists will be following up on these as a priority.

I also read that the first human trails of a possible vaccine started yesterday in the USA ...... the initial tests being for any unwanted side effects.  There is no doubt that the scientists are trying all avenues.

Paracetamol will always be recommended in a case where there is a fever as it is effective and generally very well tolerated.  The comment in bold is my very point, there is no official answer and don't deviate from the doctors guidance in preference of some faceless social media post.

Who has claimed the anti-malarial drug to be helpful?  That is the critical question, likewise with the HIV therapy.  If there is truth to those stories the scientists are the ones leading the research and findings and not following up on anything.  Hundreds of millions of pounds have been invested globally in researching cures, vaccines and other therapeutic remedies for this virus already and some remarkable work has been done, but I can say with an absolute abundance of certainty it is not as a result of what some random walloper posted on facebook, instagram or twitter.

The work in Australia where they have isolated and identified antibodies in the blood stream of a virus victim is ground breaking, but that has had a dozen doctors working round the clock to pull that together.

9 minutes ago, grrclark said:

Who has claimed the anti-malarial drug to be helpful?

I cannot vouch for how 'true' it is, but it is in several places, this being one https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/coronavirus-australia-queensland-researchers-find-cure-want-drug-trial/news-story/93e7656da0cff4fc4d2c5e51706accb5

25 minutes ago, grrclark said:

That's the problem though, i have seen folk who are nurses re-post the cobblers about drinking water to stop the virus going down your trachea, people stop thinking critically and rationally when they are scared and start to believe things that sort of sound plausible.  Even people who are trained and knowledgeable get taken in.

In the case of drinking water it is very unlikely to cause mischief, but if people start being scared about brufen and stop taking it then it can cause other issues, people may have been prescribed NSAIDs over paracetamol as they have hepatic (liver) impairment, but whilst they are scared and panicked about covid19 they decide to take a chance and do themselves real mischief.

My point being that its better to let the fever run as its the body's way of dealing with viruses to speed up the immune system and making it work better that's why the body tries to increase you temperature in the first place and if you have to take some thing to ease it go small 

8 minutes ago, grrclark said:

Did you actually read that news article that rubbished the same post that you took a screen shot of?

I've looked at the bbc article I put above have you? I screenshot what came up and thought it was strange nothing had been mentioned on here, so as Dave-G says above it will be discussed. 

If there is a chance something could make things worse I would want to know.

Let's say I've hurt my knee or have back pain, I would normally take Ibuprofen,  I won't be doing now that's for sure.

12 minutes ago, grrclark said:

The thing that really baffles me about when people so willingly share information that even 5 seconds of rational thought would dismiss as nonsense, is why are they so keen to demonstrate so very publicly that they are either stupid or wilfully ignorant?

In the space of an hour you have stropped off about two posts that are on topic with at least some merit.

Its looking Mr dot Expert might need to take some calming measures.

2 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Someone mentioned to me today that we do not seem to have heard any news of this virus in Russia. Their eastern border is not that far from the original outbreak.

From what I read somewere , Russia  was not letting people back into the country ,  not sure where  I read it .

2 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Someone mentioned to me today that we do not seem to have heard any news of this virus in Russia. Their eastern border is not that far from the original outbreak.

Also noted, Like in some other countries I put that down to its people probably not having the freedom to speak of such things.