Coronavirus (Covid-19) Is this it?

Doc Holliday

2 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

I'd go and live on a remote island if I were you ….

Oh .. you already are 🙂

Then start growing veg and shooting stuff ….

Oh .. you already are ...

Should be fine then 🙂

Thanks for the reassurance..😄... think i will go and put a hole in the ferry 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the greater risk by far is inadvertently getting caught up in some sort of isolation/quarantine event.

Even in Italy where there are now 300 reported cases, albeit that is probably a bit light, in order to contract the virus you would have had to have been in close proximity with one of those 300 people.  However as they have effectively isolated/quarantined 50,000 people much greater the likelihood that folk are caught up in that and suffer disruption rather than illness.

My concern, being self-employed, is not that I contract the virus as that is still massively unlikely, but that someone in the near vicinity contracts it and I cannot travel to clients to make any money due to restrictions on movement being imposed.

5 minutes ago, Cosmicblue said:

It's worrying - clusters of cases appearing with no obvious links to other infected areas. I read recently that there is a conjecture that it's actually an escaped bio-weapon.

Then you shouldn’t be reading the worse sort of garbage press or misplaced conspiracy nonsense promoted by sensationalist outlets.

The structure of the virus has been fully investigated and it is entirely natural in it’s development.  There are no markers of there being a manipulation or manual insertion in the virus structure.  Sadly however there was a half baked release of information by a publicity seeking “researcher” that suggested it was sinister, but that is nonsense.

25 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

The figures seem to be mixed. This one isn't quite so discouraging - unless you're getting on a bit.  https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

These are good raw statistics but being an old un myself there is another way of interpreting them.

If you forget the age stat and look at the health stat then I believe that gives you a more accurate picture of the risks. All those conditions that are high risk are also more commonly found in the aging population. So if you interpret the findings from this perspective it tends to suggest over all health is a greater factor than age.

Just my opinion 

Read a science report on how long the corona virus can survive for on surfaces, seems it can last up-to 9-10 days on an hard surface and maybe longer on soft items such as paper, China's central bank is taking steps to deep clean and even destroy cash.

If that’s the case what about the goods from China that go all around the world?

11 minutes ago, TRINITY said:

These are good raw statistics but being an old un myself there is another way of interpreting them.

If you forget the age stat and look at the health stat then I believe that gives you a more accurate picture of the risks. All those conditions that are high risk are also more commonly found in the aging population. So if you interpret the findings from this perspective it tends to suggest over all health is a greater factor than age.

Just my opinion 

Agreed..  

This is good propaganda for the vegans..:hmm: along with Ebola, swine flu, bird flu, mad cow disease to name but a few

edit to say i cant actually name any more but you know what i mean ah yes AIDS

As far as i know no one has died of eating a light salad

Edited by islandgun

So far - in the UK, 13 people have been infected.  8 have made a full recovery.  5 are still 'ill'.  No one has died.  https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

If I was a statistician, I think I would say that in the UK your chances of dying from it are very low indeed.  In the same period (roughly February) no doubt about half a dozen will have won the lottery, a about 10-15 will have died in road accidents.

I suspect it will get much bigger here, and that there will be deaths, but at present it looks like they will be low.  Ordinary flu kills anything from 600 to 12,000 to 13,000 in the 2008-9 flu season - which was a bad one.  https://vk.ovg.ox.ac.uk/vk/influenza-flu

Edited by JohnfromUK

6 minutes ago, grrclark said:

The structure of the virus has been fully investigated and it is entirely natural in it’s development.  There are no markers of there being a manipulation or manual insertion in the virus structure.  Sadly however there was a half baked release of information by a publicity seeking “researcher” that suggested it was sinister, but that is nonsense.

Yes saw an interview a while back with a scientist of a UK company who stated the virus structure had been fully identified and that vaccine has also been developed. However clinical trials will restrict availability till June at earliest. Makes you wonder if cutting corners to fast track the trial protocols may be a good idea and be the least damaging option

6 minutes ago, blackbird said:

Look on the bright side with all the old shooters gone, think of all the possible pigeon shooting permissions that will be vacant for the younger shooters ( every cloud has a silver lining) 😂

Yes young uns may also be able to start winning some clay competitions with the rapid disappearance of the veterans

21 hours ago, WestonSalop said:

Based on my experiences yesterday, I can see this spreading very rapidly, very easily. I was in a queue along with (literally) hundreds of others at Atlanta airport immigration yesterday, for two hours, squashed together like sardines in a can. Passengers arriving from all over the world. Nightmare.

I had a 4.5 hour wait there a few years ago and not one seat for older passengers arrogant homeland snotrags.

23 minutes ago, grrclark said:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-2008-3

That is a published article from earlier this month on the genetic code of the virus.  There are other published articles too. 

Interesting that the same names crop up on that article as crop up here https://www.nature.com/articles/nm.3985 from 2015 in which several of these same virologists describe how they collaborated to alter the make up of a  bat-sourced corona virus - an alteration that enabled it to gain entry via the human respiratory tract.

This then gave rise to a debate about the ethics and danger of this kind of research as outlined here . https://www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/lab-made-coronavirus-triggers-debate-34502

Now, the problem for me is one of  quis custodiet ipsos custodes. it's a certainty that the world of high-level virologists is a small one and I have extreme doubts whether even if they suspected a laboratory source any virologist would point the finger at his peers. Where would be the point? Once the virus is out - it's out and there would be no upside at all in accusations that would only serve to deliver a tsunami of opprobrium against the whole body of scientific virology itself. In the interests of science in general - far better to stay shtum.

Understand that I'm not asserting hat what they say in your article isn't correct - it's esoteric science.  It's simply that I don't altogether trust the people saying it.

13 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

Interesting that the same names crop up on that article as crop up here https://www.nature.com/articles/nm.3985 from 2015 in which several of these same virologists describe how they collaborated to alter the make up of a  bat-sourced corona virus - an alteration that enabled it to gain entry via the human respiratory tract.

This then gave rise to a debate about the ethics and danger of this kind of research as outlined here . https://www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/lab-made-coronavirus-triggers-debate-34502

Now, the problem for me is one of  quis custodiet ipsos custodes. it's a certainty that the world of high-level virologists is a small one and I have extreme doubts whether even if they suspected a laboratory source any virologist would point the finger at his peers. Where would be the point? Once the virus is out - it's out and there would be no upside at all in accusations that would only serve to deliver a tsunami of opprobrium against the whole body of scientific virology itself. In the interests of science in general - far better to stay shtum.

Understand that I'm not asserting hat what they say in your article isn't correct - it's esoteric science.  It's simply that I don't altogether trust the people saying it.

I think that is a reasonable line of thinking to take.  I cannot find the source of the article I was looking for which is hugely frustrating, it was a British scientist and he was resolute in that the make up of the genetic code, of Covid-19 at least, has not been synthesised.

As with any good conspiracy theory there at least has to be some sort of link to a truth somewhere and as the science is littered with people “playing” then it isn’t too much of a lead to suggest it is a weaponised virus.

If it was indeed weaponised and the outcome was to reek potential significant economic harm then a highly commutable virus with a relatively low mortality rate would be a decent thing, but to benefit who?

A further link referencing the studies in the UK as well as elsewhere.  https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30418-9/fulltext

Edited by grrclark

1 minute ago, grrclark said:

.If it was indeed weaponised ...

That's a bridge too far for me. If it ever were to turn out that SARS COV-2 did actually originate in a lab I would bet any money that it had found its way into the populace via some dopey mistake on somebody's part. Old-fashioned human error......

1 minute ago, Retsdon said:

That's a bridge too far for me. If it ever were to turn out that SARS COV-2 did actually originate in a lab I would bet any money that it had found its way into the populace via some dopey mistake on somebody's part. Old-fashioned human error......

It’s a bridge way too far for me too.  There are some really good articles online that describe how virus can hop from one species to another, this isn’t the first and it wont be the last either.

28 minutes ago, grrclark said:

If it was indeed weaponised and the outcome was to reek potential significant economic harm then a highly commutable virus with a relatively low mortality rate would be a decent thing, but to benefit who?

Im not for one moment supporting the theory of it being unnatural, modified or weaponised, but...

The economic damage to China is very evident, many exports have been stopped in their tracks, with no apparent ship date.
Who gains ?
The country that (economically ) China is snapping at the heels of, and is involved in an 'all but' trade war.

Just saying.

10 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Im not for one moment supporting the theory of it being unnatural, modified or weaponised, but...

The economic damage to China is very evident, many exports have been stopped in their tracks, with no apparent ship date.
Who gains ?
The country that (economically ) China is snapping at the heels of, and is involved in an 'all but' trade war.

Just saying.

That is way too simplistic an argument, in terms of the value add in the supply chain there will be massive hurt to the likes of say Apple who make way more money out of the iPhone than the associated profits of manufacturing the thing. 

The same applies to everyone where China is a component in the supply chain, the upstream profits will see greater damage than the relatively low margins associated with manufacture.