Coronavirus (Covid-19) Is this it?

Doc Holliday

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

but currently it is a very very low risk in the UK, and all countries are being sensible in trying to decrease the spread.

Tell that to my colleagues in our Milan Office.  Now being issued face masks and hand sanitiser.

Everything is low risk, until it's not.  Being prepared is a good plan,

RS

Based on my experiences yesterday, I can see this spreading very rapidly, very easily. I was in a queue along with (literally) hundreds of others at Atlanta airport immigration yesterday, for two hours, squashed together like sardines in a can. Passengers arriving from all over the world. Nightmare.

Just now, WestonSalop said:

Based on my experiences yesterday, I can see this spreading very rapidly, very easily. I was in a queue along with (literally) hundreds of others at Atlanta airport immigration yesterday, for two hours, squashed together like sardines in a can. Passengers arriving from all over the world. Nightmare.

The vast numbers crossing the world for so many reasons, business, tourism, visiting relatives, religious pilgrimages, skiing trips etc. make spread pretty much inevitable.  As someone who hates travel (and air travel with a vengeance!) I used to have to do it on business before I retired) I have never understood the attraction.  It would be much easier to contain viruses, and there would be less global warming without it, but sadly even arch anti travellers like me have to admit it is here to stay.

Mrs R was supposed to be coming for a quick visit in March. Just had to cancel her ticket because Bahrain isn't letting in arrivals from certain Asian countries. Bahrain has also stopped all flights from Dubai for the next 48 hours and will extend unless Dubai does something about screening transit passengers. As for Iran - the deputy health minister has just gone down with the virus - the one who a week ago was saying that there wasn't a problem. Not really surprising  given the rate at which infected passengers from Iran have been showing up at airport screenings.

And Japan have basically given up trying to stop the spread - their health ministry has just admitted as much and will concentrate on trying to provide the best care for critical cases rather than clutter up resources trying to play whack-a-mole.

It'll be everywhere soon. And for those who think that that this thing is a sort of jumped up flu and nothing too much to worry about - here's some sobering reading from the Lancet.  https://www.thelancet.com/action/showPdf?pii=S2213-2600(20)30079-5

Edited by Retsdon

1 minute ago, JTaylor91 said:

Not sure if it’s been reported anywhere but a holidaymaker has tested positive in Tenerife.

22 hours ago, RockySpears said:

Tell that to my colleagues in our Milan Office.  Now being issued face masks and hand sanitiser.

Everything is low risk, until it's not.  Being prepared is a good plan,

RS

26 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

The vast numbers crossing the world for so many reasons, business, tourism, visiting relatives, religious pilgrimages, skiing trips etc. make spread pretty much inevitable.  As someone who hates travel (and air travel with a vengeance!) I used to have to do it on business before I retired) I have never understood the attraction.  It would be much easier to contain viruses, and there would be less global warming without it, but sadly even arch anti travellers like me have to admit it is here to stay.

Even in 1918/19 the virus spread around the world like a wildfire. Scientists still cant work out how it broke out apparently spontaniously in far flung corners. So what chance do we stand today?

Edited by Vince Green

Just now, Vince Green said:

Even in 1918/19 the virus spread around the world like a wildfire. Even today scientists cant work out how it broke out apparently spontaniously in far flung corners

Very good documentary on the other night about it. Started in the US in an army training camp and transferred to Europe via troop ships.

Just now, JTaylor91 said:

I may be missing something but Milan isn’t in The Canaries 🤔

I know. I was going to reply to you saying that there was more than one case in the Canaries - then changed my mind and posted the Milan video link. But for some reason I've never been able to erase quotes through the edit function. Sorry about that.

Just now, Retsdon said:

I know. I was going to reply to you saying that there was more than one case in the Canaries - then changed my mind and posted the Milan video link. But for some reason I've never been able to erase quotes through the edit function. Sorry about that.

Ah, I thought I was losing the plot. 😂

Bahrain is interesting in that it's picked up 20 cases in the last 36 hours  - and all of them, bar I think one, through blanket airport screening of arrivals. Which begs the question - what about the vast majority of countries that aren't blanket screening international arrivals?

Or is Bahrain just so unlucky that it's a magnet for people with this virus?

19 hours ago, Vince Green said:

Just wait till the panic buying starts

I would make a guess that none on here will be in those "scrums".  All stores neatly packed in vermin proof containers.  Nothing fancy, just the tinned stuff and a sack-load of loo roll, a few 5L water jars and a bottle of thin bleach.  Nothing you wouldn't use anyway over the course of time,

RS

Ireland v Italy six nations postponed now 

Watch for the panic buying starting very soon 

15 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Im becoming increasingly concerned with the statistic that 2% die.. if half our population get it, that;s 7 million dead  [i think] thats a lot of hospital corridors full of very ill patients and a lot of crematoriums working round the clock... 

I bet British Gas will be rubbing their hands 😀

Edited by blackbird

9 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Im becoming increasingly concerned with the statistic that 2% die.. if half our population get it, that;s 7 million dead  [i think] thats a lot of hospital corridors full of very ill patients and a lot of crematoriums working round the clock... 

The figures seem to be mixed. This one isn't quite so discouraging - unless you're getting on a bit.  https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

9 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

The figures seem to be mixed. This one isn't quite so discouraging - unless you're getting on a bit.  https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

Oh thanks for that, Youve just increased my chances of dying from 2% to 3.6%...😄..

looks a lot better % for the youngsters though..:good: