Sign in to follow this  
BADGER.BRAD

Are all air rifles barrels rifled ?

Hello all,

I'm looking for an alternative to lead pellets for garden plinking ( max of 15 yards) and thought about steel bbs, As I could recollect these it would keep price down and also stop me putting so much lead into my garden But how do I know if I have riffled barrels or is this not the case with air rifles anyway.

Thanks all

Edited by BADGER.BRAD

BB only guns are often smooth bore but if dual use (BB and pellets.) are normally rifled but 177 BB bounce all over the place.

Use a good quality funnel trap for paper targets and very little lead escapes.

Bbs ricochet every where. Only time I'd use them is against a old bit of hanging carpet or some such. 

Unless your shoving 2 tins down range every day into the very same spot, I really wouldn't worry about lead. Again just put a piece of carpet/astro turf underneath the target and shake all the droppings into a bin at the end

a pellet trap is what you need dude , theyre cheap as chips on ebay these days :good:

ive got a bit of steel plate if youd like to make one.

Edited by mel b3

18 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

a pellet trap is what you need dude , theyre cheap as chips on ebay these days :good:

ive got a bit of steel plate if youd like to make one.

:good:nice gesture mel

Check out 'Dust Devils', they're essentially frangible BBs that reduce ricochet risk 

Thanks everyone,I've got a pellet catcher on the one target ( a set of  four tea spoons hanging down) but tend to use old shotgun cartridges at various locations in the garden ( very reactive) I will have to knock up a few more traps that I can sit the cartridges in . Thanks for the offer Mel but I have a fair bit of tat lying around that I can use.

On 24/02/2020 at 14:13, BADGER.BRAD said:

Thanks everyone,I've got a pellet catcher on the one target ( a set of  four tea spoons hanging down) but tend to use old shotgun cartridges at various locations in the garden ( very reactive) I will have to knock up a few more traps that I can sit the cartridges in . Thanks for the offer Mel but I have a fair bit of tat lying around that I can use.

I do like a gentleman with a large tat package 😅

Just now, mel b3 said:

I do like a gentleman with a large tat package 😅

Is that one of your old chat up lines?:w00t:

44 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Is that one of your old chat up lines?:w00t:

If it works , why change it 😆

Not all are, but they tend to be the ones sold for use with those super tufted darts we know from fairgrounds. Others as another says are smoothbored for the appropriate lead BB. BSA for example did, yes, a smoothbore Meteor. Slavia the air rifle part of BRNO did a smoothbore Model 618.

Fx  smooth twist barrels arent rifled .

They are just a smooth bore for 95 % of there length then have a slight twist crimped into the last bit before the muzzle from the out side .

The old original/diana/gecado models 14/15/16 used to be smooth bore..

Had much fun in the sixties in the Cape shooting lizards, and firing matches at each other.