Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
David BASC

Update from BASC / DEFRA

Recommended Posts

Just now, scarecrow243 said:

ok another point mps are NOT keeping apart if you watch the news one arrives in a car driving by someone else he also had a lady in with him thats not 2 meters  apart army sleep in same area eat in the same mess  not 2 meters apart bin men travel 3 in the cab  none are 2 meters apart

So that is your justification for going out shooting is it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll take that with the great respect it was given Mel. I'm thinking some of the other posts were also respectful but said plain English with less tact. I'm slightly dyslexic and not very good at tact either.:thanks:

I just cannot help feeling some 'compliant? people staying home have become victim of the two metre rule when they could have been much further apart.

 

My main motive for my posts is to try and galvanise our shooting orgs to lobby lobby and lobby again. Some of us are able to substantially improve on two metres.

 

Here is another harrowing image for a few police and shooting orgs to ignore:

 

 

Tragic.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

no just they tell you to do it but dont do it them self's  ps i live on a farm and i haven't been out since the lock down as i cannot get a straight answer from .gov scotland

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, scarecrow243 said:

no just they tell you to do it but dont do it them self's  ps i live on a farm and i haven't been out since the lock down as i cannot get a straight answer from .gov scotland

You are another one advocating getting out but then stating that you are being sensible and not going out!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

no i wont risk my certificates  if i got a straight answer i would be out at night for the foxes killing pea hens

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, scarecrow243 said:

no i wont risk my certificates  if i got a straight answer i would be out at night for the foxes killing pea hens

I asked police Scotland about going out pest control I wouldn't have bothered but my farmer got in touch about pigeons on newly sown fields his lambs will be going out soon as well.Police Scotland said pest control is okay just phone 101 first so they know.

Edited by mr smith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi thanks for the info but unless .gov scotland  give me  an email saying  i am allowed i wont go had too much hasstle with police not knowing the law on shooting before

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I'll bite, although I have previously stated If I could walk to my permissions with the decoying kit I would be out shooting.

 

But I can't, so I along with the vast majority of sensible people are isolating as decreed by the Government.

Thank you TC. :good:

The nearest part of of my most valued and prime permission I want to be willing to sign my permission renewal for my firearms renewal in November to oblige is .7 of a mile on foot or two miles to a vehicle entrance. Our FLO requires a recently signed reason for every calibre.

The permission is desperate for me to deal with some blackies but I imagine would not be considered an essential reason by all officers I might encounter on 101 or the trip there.

I have a short barrel HMR I can conceal under a very large poncho that would look odd in warm daylight and imagine the FEO would prefer I drive the two miles with it. In fact I can remove the Sako Quad barrel to make is incredibly short.

I'm posting the issues here because I think BASC should be lobbying more for their members - I agree it may be difficult to lobby face to face at this time but imagine they have the means to do it electronically.

 

And I have little else to do at the moment. :)

Edited by Dave-G

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

Thank you TC. :good:

The nearest part of a permission I want to be willing to sign my permission renewal for my firearms renewal in November to oblige is .7 of a mile on foot or two miles to a vehicle entrance. Our FLO requires a recently signed reason for every calibre.

The permission is desperate for me to deal with some blackies but I imagine would not be considered a essential reason by all officers I might encounter on 101 or the trip there.

I have a short barrel HMR I can conceal under a very large poncho that would look odd in warm daylight and imagine the FEO would prefer I drive the two miles with it. In fact I can remove the Sako Quad barrel to make is incredibly short.

I'm posting the issues here because I think BASC should be lobbying more for their members - I agree it may be difficult to lobby face to face at this time but imagine they have the means to do electronically.

And I too would like to see BASC pin down DEFRA, but I simply do not think it will happen.

 

We simply MUST stay in the lockdown posture that has been employed by the Government to slow the pace of the spread of Covid19 that will allow the NHS to ramp up its capabilities and deal with a steady stream of patients rather than a mass of them which would swamp the increased capabilities we now have and that will no doubt increase further.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, scarecrow243 said:

ok another point mps are NOT keeping apart if you watch the news one arrives in a car driving by someone else he also had a lady in with him thats not 2 meters  apart army sleep in same area eat in the same mess  not 2 meters apart bin men travel 3 in the cab  none are 2 meters apart

i can only answer for binmen in the borough that i work  .  the three man bin crews ,  and four man recycling crews,  are supposed to wear masks as they travel to and from their work areas , rest assured that if their was another way , wed be doing it.

29 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

I'll take that with the great respect it was given Mel. I'm thinking some of the other posts were also respectful but said plain English with less tact. I'm slightly dyslexic and not very good at tact either.:thanks:

I just cannot help feeling some 'compliant? people staying home have become victim of the two metre rule when they could have been much further apart.

 

My main motive for my posts is to try and galvanise our shooting orgs to lobby lobby and lobby again. Some of us are able to substantially improve on two metres.

 

Here is another harrowing image for a few police and shooting orgs to ignore:

 

 

Tragic.jpg

i agree that most of us could improve massively on the 2m rule , and i would guess that the farmers of the country , are bending more ears than the shooting orgs (not knocking the shooting orgs). and i would also guess that all forces will shortly be singing from the same hymn sheet , itll just take a while to get things sorted.

28 minutes ago, scarecrow243 said:

no just they tell you to do it but dont do it them self's  ps i live on a farm and i haven't been out since the lock down as i cannot get a straight answer from .gov scotland

my firearms dept gave me a definite no , unless i live on the land to be shot over . again , things will hopefully fall into place shortly.

24 minutes ago, scarecrow243 said:

no i wont risk my certificates  if i got a straight answer i would be out at night for the foxes killing pea hens

for me , my certificates are of secondary importance , risking lives is at the very top of the pile , although ,  im pretty sure that im smart enough to shoot without spreading nasties all over the place , im expected to manage it at work every day.

1 minute ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

And I too would like to see BASC pin down DEFRA, but I simply do not think it will happen.

 

We simply MUST stay in the lockdown posture that has been employed by the Government to slow the pace of the spread of Covid19 that will allow the NHS to ramp up its capabilities and deal with a steady stream of patients rather than a mass of them which would swamp the increased capabilities we now have and that will no doubt increase further.

i reckon defra will be getting some right stick from farmers at the moment , and that the message will filter through to us(and the police) that we can shoot , albeit well probably have to stick to some pretty strict rules.

i agree about the lockdown dave , it sucks , but for the good of the country , weve just got to bite the bullet (excuse the pun) , its for the greater good , so we have to do it.

 

this week , ive had to tell two farmers that i cant turn out to shoot , i can just imagine the damage thats being done to their crops , as i see it with my own eyes every year . these farmers have been good and loyal friends for many years   , and i feel like the worlds biggest ****bag for letting them down , i really do feel heartbroken over it , but , i also know that id feel devastated , if i were to take corona virus with me , into these relatively isolated communities.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I fail to see how being out in a field walling, fencing or even decoying is putting anyone at risk. 
There are plenty of cyclists on the roads, as well as walkers and riders. None are putting either themselves or anyone else at risk. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Boris can urge all he wants. What he is concerned about is people congregating in parks and other public places where people under normal circumstances would socially congregate. You know it and I know it. Being in a hide by yourself in the middle of the countryside is putting no one at risk; even some police forces recognise this. Common sense and logic has to prevail. 

Like I've said, there are many cyclists, walkers and riders out locally. In very rural communities life in general is going on much as before. People are out washing their vehicles, walking their dogs, cutting their grass, riding horses, maintaining properties and their grounds. Garages are serving fuel and fixing vehicles, including MOT's, and day to day business goes on almost as normal. Farmers are out and about in the fields or wherever, doing what they do. People are shopping or having deliveries made, and for those who can't do either there is help available. No one is being neglected nor needlessly put at risk. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Scully said:

Boris can urge all he wants. What he is concerned about is people congregating in parks and other public places where people under normal circumstances would socially congregate. You know it and I know it. Being in a hide by yourself in the middle of the countryside is putting no one at risk; even some police forces recognise this. Common sense and logic has to prevail. 

Like I've said, there are many cyclists, walkers and riders out locally. In very rural communities life in general is going on much as before. People are out washing their vehicles, walking their dogs, cutting their grass, riding horses, maintaining properties and their grounds. Garages are serving fuel and fixing vehicles, including MOT's, and day to day business goes on almost as normal. Farmers are out and about in the fields or wherever, doing what they do. People are shopping or having deliveries made, and for those who can't do either there is help available. No one is being neglected nor needlessly put at risk. 

boris needs to keep his mouth shut I don’t need advice from the clown who has caused the death of others because he did not shut the borders on day one which a two year old would have had the intelligence to do the mans a hypocrite 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, clangerman said:

boris needs to keep his mouth shut I don’t need advice from the clown who has caused the death of others because he did not shut the borders on day one which a two year old would have had the intelligence to do the mans a hypocrite 

Did you actually just say that out loud .? ..... Well i never! ???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scully totally agree. I live in a very rural area. We do not have a shop or a bus service. Our only pub shut down two weeks ago. Life goes on with farmers very busy, local couples out for a daily walk keeping well away from each other. Today the village was very quiet very few non locals to be seen. If one of my permissions need some shooting done I would not hesitate to assist as they are all in near walking distance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at it from a completely different PR perspective, I can just imagine the headlines .............The shooting community defies lockdown to continue shooting defenseless birds and fluffy animals for fun whilst thousands die of Covid 19.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dave-G said:

Some people just cannot seem to fathom that being isolated say 200 metres away from anyone else in fresh air is better than staying in a house or passing someone who may have just unwittingly coughed out a load of virus on a local footpath near their housing estate.

Yes it would of course be more enjoyable than being cooped up but that is not the purpose of pest control to people who have empathy for a farmer seeing his livestock horribly maimed before having to get himself or someone out anyway to despatch it.

Read the papers about people already smashing their way into supermarkets for food - we need to help our farmers raise every morsel of meat grain and vegetetables.

What happens when gangs smash their way in to peoples homes to raid food that they won't or can't queue up for hours to buy. They are not the ones SOME coppers will be dishing out fines to for travelling a couple of miles to be alone in a field.

I find it hard to understand how normally fairly intelligent forum members, are not able to get their heads around the fact that pest control needs to continue. I have been out shooting today. I did nobody any harm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well lets hope no one gets caught and have there licence tacken away.just for a few shots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, motty said:

I find it hard to understand how normally fairly intelligent forum members, are not able to get their heads around the fact that pest control needs to continue. I have been out shooting today. I did nobody any harm.

Quite simple really, the spirit of the lockdown applies to all hobbies. I wouldn't dream of nipping to the beach to go surfing or going to some open space to fly my model airplane.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CharlieT said:

Quite simple really, the spirit of the lockdown applies to all hobbies. I wouldn't dream of nipping to the beach to go surfing or going to some open space to fly my model airplane.

The spirit? 

I have been out in the fresh air, away from the public, which is what the "lockdown" is there for, really. 

I imagine ramblers aren't too fussed about the restrictions. 

4 hours ago, mossy835 said:

agree with the above posts, iv not been out in 2 weeks, and i love my shooting, but will not go out till this is over,if the pigeons eat some corn then so be it, so STAY at Home.

Will you be ok to stop until next year? Serious question. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, CharlieT said:

Quite simple really, the spirit of the lockdown applies to all hobbies. I wouldn't dream of nipping to the beach to go surfing or going to some open space to fly my model airplane.

To be fair there are also some presumably intelligent people who naively believe they are better off staying in a house with other people and near neighbours that the wind has just blown from, because politicians who we don't always trust say we must.

Just for the record, I have not been out since being asked to stay in -  I'm biding my time a little longer hoping that Defra wakes up and accepts there are major differences between being in a house with others or far away from homes and footpaths on private land in the countryside with permission of the landowner to be there for the agreed specific purpose of shooting pests.

EDIT Not for surfing, flying model aircraft, metal detecting, bird watching, sun bathing, butterfly photography, copulating, yada yada

Edited by Dave-G

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been working in a field hacking up windblown and overhangs, many many hundreds of meters away from anyone apart from my boss ( and from trespassers with dogs who think they can just roam anywhere because they have a dog). We've had no contact as its all done by phone. I shall continue to work and its the same as if I was shooting. I'm in no physical contact with anyone, I'm away from civilians, in fact making sure crops can be yielded at maximum efficiency. I'm not saying they would fail, not a chance, but it's about profit and the farmer, let's face it, isn't in it for the fun of it. He wants to put as much down and get the returns. 

The problem stems with what is allowed. A golfer could argue he could stay easily 20ft away from another player. Or a tennis player, or a cricketer, a angler, horse rider or a cyclist  (which Ive seen literally hundreds, most in small groups, all tightly together) ect ect. Dozens of sports, based outside, just waiting for the excuse to be given the go ahead, within parameters. Where do you draw the line? I wouldnt like to try and get the all clear in bascs eyes as I bet there are dozens of sporting orgs trying to get the same answers as a shooting org. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, motty said:

The spirit? 

I have been out in the fresh air, away from the public, which is what the "lockdown" is there for, really. 

I imagine ramblers aren't too fussed about the restrictions. 

Will you be ok to stop until next year? Serious question. 

 

 

yes i will if that is what it takes to stay safe, for me and others.and all my ground will still be there for me, i have some good farmers, get on well with them known them years,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, mossy835 said:

 

 

yes i will if that is what it takes to stay safe, for me and others.and all my ground will still be there for me, i have some good farmers, get on well with them known them years,

That's great for you if farmer won't get someone more willing. There is someone itching to get on the permission that I need to keep pleased to get my impending renewal calibres on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...