China Orders 200,000 Body Bags

Danger-Mouse

Literally no one else has this story. Google it. most of the stories are about the pentagon ordering them, not China and the ones that do only direct to this one video from NTD. I'm not saying it's definitely fake news, but...it's pretty messy journalism to put it mildly. Is a 'Taiwanese senior media person' a real position these days, so that you can quote him? And would a funeral home director really be the person to go to if you're asking for wholesale numbers of body bags? You go to the manufacturers, not a funeral home. And as for the date being 4th of April and that being the same as error messages about the virus pages being deleted? Well, yes, but then the 404 error message is bog standard for a whole host of things, not just virus deletions! Who gives these people microphones?!

image.png.eb5d6503778836ef3e3c6a3a544988f1.png

image.png.57b2ed070c43dad6731b65c4213c4878.png

5 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

I did not realise that was how the hantavirus was transmuted.

Fortunately, it doesn't seem to be able to pass from humans to humans. Aside from a very few spurious cases in South America, there's no evidence it can make the jump. It's a nasty little beggar, to be sure, but still needs a rodent vector. This makes it both controllable and traceable. The chap who died the other day from it is a good example. Authorities just traced his journey back, tested  people with whom he shared a bus. That made it easy enough to isolate the area and check for any other casualties. 

The trouble, like so many viruses, is mutation. If a virus that was reliant on rodent-human contact suddenly doesn't need the rodent element, then we're into a whole different ball game with a non-treatable, non-vaccined virus with a mortality rate six times higher than Coronavirus.

I don't know if Chinese data are correct, but I don't think their numbers are necessarily any more inaccurate than our own.  The daily infection number for the UK only counts people going into hospital and as the advice is NOT to contact hospital services unless suffering from serious breathing difficulties, so nobody could possibly argue that the UK figure is a true indicator of how many people actually contracted the virus on  given day. So is Britain guilty too of, 'covering up' the true rate of infection? Most normal people would say no - so why a different standard for China?

I would argue that Chinese numbers are better better because Chinese , once they got on the front foot, were far more active in containing transmission than western countries have been. The lockdown in Wuhan and Hubei province was total and rigorously enforced. Also, the Chinese were relentless in tracing and testing people who may have come into contact with diagnosed sufferers - and if these people too tested positive they were, quite literally in some cases, dragged off to enforced quarantine, away even from their own family. It was a ruthless display of central government authority that is simply not available to governments in the west.

But if the goal is to surpress a viral epidemic that's the copy book way to do it. Korea, Hong Kong, and Taiwan followed similar, if less brutal, tactics and they too have been more successful than western countries in curbing the spread of this virus. So why believe Korean numbers but not Chinese ones? 

My guess, for what it's worth, is than Asia learned a lot from the 2002-3 Sars outbreak, and so when Covid came along they had their battle plans ready. In the west, Sars was just a newspaper story and so this virus has caught everyone flat-footed. 

But nobody wants to admit that so they're trying to deflect all the responsibility on to China. And that's unfair. China might have been responsible for letting the virus out, but it hasn't been responsible for the tardy and disorganized western response to this pandemic and this business of trying to spin everything as someone else's fault doesn't help matters at all in the long run. Accept responsibility where it lies and learn lessons from mistakes. That way everyone is better prepared next time. 

Edited by Retsdon

15 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

I don't know if Chinese data are correct, but I don't think their numbers are necessarily any more inaccurate than our own.  The daily infection number for the UK only counts people going into hospital and as the advice is NOT to contact hospital services unless suffering from serious breathing difficulties, so nobody could possibly argue that the UK figure is a true indicator of how many people actually contracted the virus on  given day. So is Britain guilty too of, 'covering up' the true rate of infection? Most normal people would say no - so why a different standard for China?

I would argue that Chinese numbers are better better because Chinese , once they got on the front foot, were far more active in containing transmission than western countries have been. The lockdown in Wuhan and Hubei province was total and rigorously enforced. Also, the Chinese were relentless in tracing and testing people who may have come into contact with diagnosed sufferers - and if these people too tested positive they were, quite literally in some cases, dragged off to enforced quarantine, away even from their own family. It was a ruthless display of central government authority that is simply not available to governments in the west.

But if the goal is to surpress a viral epidemic that's the copy book way to do it. Korea, Hong Kong, and Taiwan followed similar, if less brutal, tactics and they too have been more successful than western countries in curbing the spread of this virus. So why believe Korean numbers but not Chinese ones? 

My guess, for what it's worth, is than Asia learned a lot from the 2002-3 Sars outbreak, and so when Covid came along they had their battle plans ready. In the west, Sars was just a newspaper story and so this virus has caught everyone flat-footed. 

But nobody wants to admit that so they're trying to deflect all the responsibility on to China. And that's unfair. China might have been responsible for letting the virus out, but it hasn't been responsible for the tardy and disorganized western response to this pandemic and this business of trying to spin everything as someone else's fault doesn't help matters at all in the long run. Accept responsibility where it lies and learn lessons from mistakes. That way everyone is better prepared next time. 

What was going to happen here was very predictable on the basis of Italian pandemic. Uk was 2-3 weeks behind but still, BoJo and his "scientific" advisors did nothing to block the spreading of virus in time.

Edited by Docleo

2 minutes ago, Docleo said:

Uk was 2-3 weeks behind but still, BoJo and his "scientific" advisors did nothing to block the spreading of virus in time

Well, I think the the dice was cast long before. The rundown of local public health departments has been going on for probably 20 years. The problem is that they're the very people you need when something like Corvid appears. And it's impossible to reverse 20+ years of atrophy in a matter of weeks. Simply can't be done. Things like the lack of PPE could have been sorted though. But it needed someone at the top with sufficient authority to act decisively and override the usual system of procurement. A political risk.... 

5 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

Well, if you ever get a bilateral interstitial pneumonia, you can (between gasps for air)  say that to the ICU staff. 

If they are that good why did so many die in China? And why are they shipping them here? I can only guess that is £ speaking. Oh and it seems like China is free from this horrible virus., If they can spare them.

7 minutes ago, wishy735 said:

If they are that good why did so many die in China? And why are they shipping them here? I can only guess that is £ speaking. Oh and it seems like China is free from this horrible virus., If they can spare them.

More likely they have the manufacturing capability, as to their effectiveness? As stated above, I don’t think you would be dismissing its use if you needed it- besides, not all that comes out of China is rubbish, just look at how many manufacturers they we perceive as being ‘Western’ Companies actually have most of their goods assembled in China!

12 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

More likely they have the manufacturing capability, as to their effectiveness? As stated above, I don’t think you would be dismissing its use if you needed it- besides, not all that comes out of China is rubbish, just look at how many manufacturers they we perceive as being ‘Western’ Companies actually have most of their goods assembled in China!

I am not going to get into a bun fight here, I do hope that this equipment is up to standard but please respect my right to be spectial.

1 hour ago, Retsdon said:

Well, I think the the dice was cast long before. The rundown of local public health departments has been going on for probably 20 years. The problem is that they're the very people you need when something like Corvid appears. And it's impossible to reverse 20+ years of atrophy in a matter of weeks. Simply can't be done. Things like the lack of PPE could have been sorted though. But it needed someone at the top with sufficient authority to act decisively and override the usual system of procurement. A political risk.... 

It needed someone with the vision and the guts to spend money on something that might be needed in the future, rather than spending it on vote winning guarantees in the present. That's too brave a call for most people. It'd probably be completely useless - or absolutely vital but never in their window to take the credit. 

2 hours ago, Docleo said:

What was going to happen here was very predictable on the basis of Italian pandemic. Uk was 2-3 weeks behind but still, BoJo and his "scientific" advisors did nothing to block the spreading of virus in time.

Had Boris closed the borders and confined us all to our homes back in January the public and press, especially the left, would have been screaming racist and calling Boris the great dictator. 

I'm not saying government strategy has been perfect but then again this is an unprecedented situation. Plus, the public itself has to bear part of the blame. People were told to isolate and stay away from large public gatherings and they chose to ignore the message, prompting the government to force the current situation upon us.

Hindsight is always 20/20 and Boris was really in a no win situation. Difficult, if not impossible, to find the Goldilocks zone for this particular problem.