Bandsaw

Gunman

Looking to buy a small band saw ,around 10" with budget of £250 ish . There are so many brands that all look similar and no doubt come out of the same Chinese factory I am confused .

So any one bought one recently , any problems , ones to avoid etc .etc. .Any thoughts would be welcomed.

For that sort of money go for Axminster craft, or Lumberjack hobby, avoid clarke you can't get a true flat bed, I have one and you are for ever adjusting the bed for a 45 I needed the bed at 41 on the dial which with a set square gave me my 45 to the blade. And obviously Silverline avoid avoid avoid avoid

I'll use my clarke till it dies then get an Axminster.

3 minutes ago, bigroomboy said:

The one thing I know is buy the absolute best you can, even if its second hand. A bad bandsawnis the most frustrating tool as it never stays tuned up.

Mate of mine has a DeWalt and he was bragging like hell about it being better than my cheap by comparison clarke, 1 days use and he was having the same problems I was, wouldn't cut a straight line, constantly adjusting it. Might have the DeWalt pedigree, and price tag, but still as bad as the rest of them.

29 minutes ago, bigroomboy said:

The one thing I know is buy the absolute best you can, even if its second hand. A bad bandsawnis the most frustrating tool as it never stays tuned up.

hello, yes the Craft AC 1 looks decent and £200, their industrial machinery is very good so cannot see why that hobby saw would not be same

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Its for wood . I have used "professional" band saws for years but this is for home use mainly for cutting for wood turning .I have a small table saw and a chop/miter saw but need something that will cut small pieces .

Axminster and Charnwood  have been the two that looked best on paper and there is a Polish one called Cormack that looks to be a good third . 

Thanks for the reply's . G 

I have. The twin brother of the Record one badged as 'FERM'....might have come from screwfix

had it for years with no issues. As it is sat there ready to go whereas the table saw and chop saws are usually piled up with carp it is the goto machine.  I've used it for hardwood, softwood, bone, antler, plastic.   Anything other tHan metal

onLy mistake Made years ago,was to spray some lube on it and it destroyed the drive belt totally. No idea what the spray was but I've never sprayed it with anything since

I've got the small axminster pro which I bought second hand, very good machine only problem I've had is the belt braking as it is poor quality, found a better one on line. The thing to look for is the bearings on the blade alignment some cheap ones only have 1 bearing also price and availability of blades if second hand 

9 hours ago, team tractor said:

Just remember that no bandsaw will cut straight really .

our 3 phase bandsaw was £2000 and although it’s great it still struggles sometimes to cut perfect . 
blades make a massive difference 

Yes, the one I purchased from you has been brilliant BUT as you say you have to accept they will not always cut straight and need regular adjustment and then on small runs it is possible.

Just takes a bit of patience.  I have a largish chop saw and bench saw but the band saw is so useful for those delicate small jobs.  I had a walk around Axminster and walked out they where just too expensive but not doubting their quality.