CA - Return to shooting - briefing paper

Alliance paper calls for the phased introduction of shooting as lockdown restrictions are eased

04 May 2020 by Countryside Alliance

The Countryside Alliance, has produced a paper titled – ‘A return to shooting: a phased approach to shooting as lockdown restrictions are eased’.

The outbreak of COVID-19 has disrupted the nation and it is in all our interests that we return to normal activities as soon as it is safe to do so. Shooting plays a crucial role in the environmental, economic and social well-being of the countryside and this latest document from the Alliance explains how a phased return of shooting activities can secure the many benefits it brings.

Featuring key statistics and facts, as well as quotes from leading voices within the shooting community, the 8 page dossier, which is now available online, has been submitted to the Government.

A full copy of the report can be found here

The aim of the proposals set out within the paper demonstrate that when it is safe to do so, and lockdown restrictions are eased, shooting should be amongst the first activities to resume.

In brief, it argues that when the Government do adjust lockdown conditions then:

1) Essential pest control such as rabbit, deer, and pigeon must be undertaken alone, or within household groups only.

2) The same restrictions that govern essential travel should be adhered to.

3) Suitable plans for carcass management must be made prior to any outing, to avoid the need for contact with game processors.

4) When restrictions are relaxed to allow game shooting, shoots must be able to demonstrate they can comply with social distancing measures, and operate within Government guidelines.

5) Equipment should not be shared, and where applicable, payment should be organised in advance and made online where possible.

The Alliance's Director of Shooting, Adrian Blackmore said: “The Countryside Alliance fully supports the Government and its effort to slow the spread and minimise the effect of COVID-19.  However, as the Government now comes to consider how the country will exit lockdown, we are proposing that when it is safe to do so, and restrictions are eased, shooting could be one of the first activities to be resumed in a phased manner.  Shooting is an activity that can be conducted in isolation, and it has a key role in many conservation and pest control management plans.  It will be detrimental to our biodiversity and wildlife across the country if restrictions remain in place longer than necessary. It is also an activity that has well documented physical and mental health benefits, and critically, it is the lynch pin of many rural economies”

A full copy of the report can be found here

42 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

Yes be nice to get out fishing again, might even be tempted to go foxing if they are allowing us. .

hello, yes me to, trout fishing and a trip over to the farm, both on own,  will just have to see what Boris has to say on relaxing the lockdown, although i still think some measures need to be kept going, social distancing and maybe face masks, still need to stay safe and help the NHS 

9 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, yes me to, trout fishing and a trip over to the farm, both on own,  will just have to see what Boris has to say on relaxing the lockdown, although i still think some measures need to be kept going, social distancing and maybe face masks, still need to stay safe and help the NHS 

I was told by a fowling mate today, he read we are getting changes a bit like the weldh he read it on some news page on his phone Not sure he even said which news paper.

If he is right what are wales doing re the lifting. ?

29 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

I was told by a fowling mate today, he read we are getting changes a bit like the weldh he read it on some news page on his phone Not sure he even said which news paper.

If he is right what are wales doing re the lifting. ?

Opening garden centres 

and go outside more than once a day from there door to exercise and back staying local 

Edited by Old farrier

On 08/05/2020 at 19:59, captainhastings said:

Here in sunny wales we are now allowed to go for more than one walk a day and garden centres can open. End of for another 3 weeks. So just more of the same. Just praying we can get back shooting in time for harvest 

Well, what I've noticed so far, is that the restrictions are being ignored big time. Every evening on my way to work (social care) I witness many groups of youngsters walking around the town, and plenty of other people gathering in various areas to have a few cans!

27 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

Well, what I've noticed so far, is that the restrictions are being ignored big time. Every evening on my way to work (social care) I witness many groups of youngsters walking around the town, and plenty of other people gathering in various areas to have a few cans!

Same here Steve in the local parks you got your normal weed smokers going on and theres groups of kids running around together.

For the most part though people are behaving. I think for once the welsh gov have got this right and are taking sense. The english need to give doris a kick up the **** 

From what I see on fb they reckon in england they can get out fishing and all outdoor sports as of wednesday so that would inc shooting. Mind you all vague to be honest. But I am quite happy sitting it out here in wales. Still plenty of time before sept the 1st 

Edited by captainhastings

But it is allowed under lockdown with certain guidelines  it was the travelling that wasn’t allowed 

On 10/05/2020 at 22:30, rbrowning2 said:

Is crop protection sport under the General licences ?  If not then nothing has changed?

Edited by Jacko3275