kids education suffering media doom and gloom

Saltings

Just now, Mice! said:

That is most probably the key workers kids, and probably the same kids every day so no need to social distance,  they are likely in the same space all day.

The rules aren't being broken in schools.

Now I saw 15 lads out last night on bikes, just cruising down the road,  they weren't bothered about what distance they were apart.

I wasn't commenting either way - just stating what I see them doing out of my wfh office window. They are out and playing games with each other - that is all. The teachers may be doing everything they can inside the school to keep them distanced.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, discobob said:

I wasn't commenting either way - just stating what I see them doing out of my wfh office window. They are out and playing games with each other - that is all. The teachers may be doing everything they can inside the school to keep them distanced.

No worries fella, when the kids start going back the plan in "some" schools is groups of 15 which will play and learn together, and have the same teacher and TA

I'd be happy with my kids staying off if the school was doing more than the bare minimum. Aside from the odd email and work pack the input from the school has been pathetic. I wonder if teachers were getting paid for what work they actually do, would they be sat in their gardens enjoying the sunshine? No videos, no online lessons, no regular interactive communication, nothing. So parents who have to work also, somehow, have to educate their own children while several thousand teachers are getting a nice long paid break.

I heard talk of scrapping the 6 weeks holiday in favour of getting kids back into learning, imagine the furore from the teachers and their unions!!

I get that some are working, some are in schools etc. But from my own experience and from discussions with many colleagues, the whole education system has dropped the ball.

Edited by Demonic69

We’re having training session Carried out over ‘Teams’, could the same not be applied to Lessons?

My two are being home schooled using ‘SeeSaw’ with a bi weekly phone call.

But by distributing the iPads/tablets they have in school to each individual that doesn’t posses one, then daily lessons could have resumed.

3 hours ago, Jaymo said:

We’re having training session Carried out over ‘Teams’, could the same not be applied to Lessons?.

Lessons are being run using Teams by a lot of schools (mine included), but live lessons do depend a lot on the students bothering to log in when they are supposed to. 

4 hours ago, Demonic69 said:

I heard talk of scrapping the 6 weeks holiday in favour of getting kids back into learning, imagine the furore from the teachers and their unions

I just heard different, well for here in Scotland, schools back after the holidays however I feel there will be a spike in cases across the UK before July which will stop us in our tracks again.

1 hour ago, henry d said:

I just heard different, well for here in Scotland, schools back after the holidays however I feel there will be a spike in cases across the UK before July which will stop us in our tracks again.

Well the pictures I've seen would make you think the lockdown is over, so the spike should be in around 3 weeks. 

1 hour ago, henry d said:

Well just been out and about this lovely sunny afternoon. Thousands of kids out and about in large groups. All opened shops massive queues outside. Retail car parks rammed full. Loads of other groups walking cycling etc. Everyone seems to enjoying an holiday in the sun. Everything I saw today simply goes against the perception there is a virus about . So if we get another spike we will know why. However if we dont get a spike after all I have witnessed today then many will be saying we have totally over reacted. We shall soon find out.

5 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

now that the restrictions have been eased a bit unlimited time out and meet one person 

Do you seriously think that the school kids arnt meeting up at the moment in groups and keeping the distance regardless of the situation 

get them back to school 

Get kids back to school, get workers back to work, can I take it you're retired?

15 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

No I’m not I’m working and have worked all through this 

If the workers and kids feel safe enough to ram beaches and que for ice creams what’s the problem? 

Can't argue with that logic.

I've seen a lot of kids about lately in two's and threes and they were keeping their distance,  everyone certainly seems to be out and about more.

3 minutes ago, Mice! said:

I've seen a lot of kids about lately in two's and threes and they were keeping their distance,  everyone certainly seems to be out and about more.

idiot workers to stupid to follow the rules will have idiot kids to stupid to follow the rules THATS the problem i like gifts from school but not when it’s COVID-19 

9 minutes ago, Mice! said:

They seem to be forming their own social bubble and then most are being sensible probably more than the adults 

36 minutes ago, clangerman said:

idiot workers to stupid to follow the rules will have idiot kids to stupid to follow the rules 

Well looking at the scenes on the news this evening, the above seem to be far from a small minority. 

I can understand why people are questioning the country going into massive debt so many of the above can enjoy an all expenses paid long holiday.

33 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

They seem to be forming their own social bubble and then most are being sensible probably more than the adults 

I would imagine so.

This was always going to happen when the lockdown was relaxed,  the sun is shining and people want to go out.

People are going to push the boundaries,  imagine if in 3 weeks the Gov say we're locking down again!!

Just received long email from the headmaster at my children’s school explaining that no pupils will be going back to school this term. Apparently for the prep school (reception through year 8 ) there was resistance from parents (I wasn’t asked but there again my children aren’t in these years) and for the senior school he felt that it would be too onerous to comply with the government distancing requirements. 

I am very disappointed but fortunately my children are getting some fairly decent lessons remotely but still a lot less than satisfactory. My daughters chemistry teacher today said that over 50% of this terms work will need to be redone due to the lack of practical experiments.