Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Lufcyorkshire

Noisy pup

Recommended Posts

Cocker Pup coming up 12 weeks I have been doing basic recall and sit.Retrieving not great easily distracted when on field so only do 2 and then put ball or dummy away but a soon as dog picks it up he starts running back and grumbling no aggression tail wagging very excited and I can take dummy from him just noisy.How do you stop this as I don’t want it turn the other way and go aggressive.Hands In bowl when feeding him no problem.Is it normal to grumble when excited.cheers 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our sprocker is a year old and grumbles when excited. I have never seen any sign of even the slightest aggression in her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The dog is telling you that is brain isn't develop enough for what you are asking it to do. Leave it alone for a few months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s great 1st gundog and never done any training before.Had a patterdale years ago which turned nasty so just making sure same doesn’t happen again.Like I said there no aggression at all just noisy glad to hear it’s fine and normal 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just stick to basic obedience and off lead behaviour, the gun dog stuff will come (or should come ) naturally when the dog begins to mature, spend as much time as possible on one to one contact even if its only in the garden. but above all keep it fun and rewards when the pup gets it right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, lakeside1000 said:

Just stick to basic obedience and off lead behaviour, the gun dog stuff will come (or should come ) naturally when the dog begins to mature, spend as much time as possible on one to one contact even if its only in the garden. but above all keep it fun and rewards when the pup gets it right.

I wouldnt even be doing much basics at that age, would be building the dogs confidence taking it into different environments etc so it enjoys being out.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/06/2020 at 10:46, lakeside1000 said:

Just stick to basic obedience and off lead behaviour, the gun dog stuff will come (or should come ) naturally when the dog begins to mature, spend as much time as possible on one to one contact even if its only in the garden. but above all keep it fun and rewards when the pup gets it right.

+1 keep it fun   don't rush you have two years to get it right    it will be worth it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s still a puppy for gods sake let it have a bit of puppy life I didn’t start training our spring till about 9 months used to play ball with her but nothing to aggressive none of that sit stay stuff just fun I enjoyed it myself as much as her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel the longer I train dogs the slower I go. My current pup has been with me two weeks and is 12 weeks old. I will be doing almost nothing with him for a few months save he will come when I call and hopefully will sit for his dinner. I will be spending the next months just building the bond so he wants to be with me. He will get a little socialisation with people and my other dogs and always in the garden. He currently picks things up and carries them around and that is good enough. If he brings them over he gets lots of fuss and as long as it is nothing dangerous I do not take them. That is plenty in my view as he needs his puppyhood and to see me as all that is good in life, fun, food, security and comfort. He won’t be in the shooting field for nearly two years so why rush.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

I feel the longer I train dogs the slower I go. My current pup has been with me two weeks and is 12 weeks old. I will be doing almost nothing with him for a few months save he will come when I call and hopefully will sit for his dinner. I will be spending the next months just building the bond so he wants to be with me. He will get a little socialisation with people and my other dogs and always in the garden. He currently picks things up and carries them around and that is good enough. If he brings them over he gets lots of fuss and as long as it is nothing dangerous I do not take them. That is plenty in my view as he needs his puppyhood and to see me as all that is good in life, fun, food, security and comfort. He won’t be in the shooting field for nearly two years so why rush.

+1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bigbird said:
4 hours ago, Dave at kelton said:

I feel the longer I train dogs the slower I go. My current pup has been with me two weeks and is 12 weeks old. I will be doing almost nothing with him for a few months save he will come when I call and hopefully will sit for his dinner. I will be spending the next months just building the bond so he wants to be with me. He will get a little socialisation with people and my other dogs and always in the garden. He currently picks things up and carries them around and that is good enough. If he brings them over he gets lots of fuss and as long as it is nothing dangerous I do not take them. That is plenty in my view as he needs his puppyhood and to see me as all that is good in life, fun, food, security and comfort. He won’t be in the shooting field for nearly two years so why rush.

+2   just take things slowly ,its easier in the long run

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, washerboy said:

12 weeks and been trained in a field.. Good luck 

By field I was talking about they grass field where we go for walks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, washerboy said:

Yes imoh still to young to be trained outside of your own house or garden. 


12 weeks and you’ve not taken it out your house? 
 

🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't consider training it out of my yard. It would be stolen broken and a 15 minutes a few times a day that would be it's lot. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...