An example of why COVID infections are on the rise.

Raja Clavata

2 hours ago, Dave-G said:

If a shop is open and staffed for essential items it seems sensible to sell anything within.

I get it though, why should a clothes shop be forced to close, but the supermarket next door be allowed to sell clothes?

i suppose all shops that sell other things could just start selling a small amount of food items and so stay open 

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, southeastpete said:

I get it though, why should a clothes shop be forced to close, but the supermarket next door be allowed to sell clothes?

i suppose all shops that sell other things could just start selling a small amount of food items and so stay open 

Maybe its just Welsh MP's that are narrow minded dummies. I've not heard of that aspect elsewhere yet.

On 24/10/2020 at 19:59, southeastpete said:

They said supermarkets are having to close their clothing aisles and take things like CDs etc back into the stock room.  The idea is that people don't linger in the shops, just pick up the stuff they need and go.

No chance i always like to be in and out as quick as possible , so why do i get stuck behind some old goat that seems to check out everything then pick the first packet they had , then theirs the guy or woman with a list  standing right in the middle of what i want on there phone and take umbridge when i go in for what i want 

and the other day in Aldi a old guy lifting up and opening all the specials to see what they where for and buying none hes there for a day out no shopping despite the notices only handle what you intend to buy 

The other day I got stuck behind a middle aged woman who stood and watched all her shopping come through the checkout then only when it was all through produced some tatty old carrier bags and started putting the items into the carrier bags one item at a time like she was in slow motion. 

When all the items were bagged up and all the bags were in her trolley then she started looking for her purse

It always seems to happen to me

Edited by Vince Green

1 hour ago, Vince Green said:

The other day I got stuck behind a middle aged woman who stood and watched all her shopping come through the checkout then only when it was all through produced some tatty old carrier bags and started putting the items into the carrier bags one item at a time like she was in slow motion. 

When all the items were bagged up and all the bags were in her trolley then she started looking for her purse

count yourself lucky - I married one of them 😂

1 hour ago, Vince Green said:

But that has nothing to CV 19!

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

But that has nothing to CV 19!

It means your in the store longer, probably standing waiting in the que,  this is the problem with Aldi lately for me, only a couple of people on the tills then wait till there is a build up, yes they say it keeps prices down but its annoying sometimes. 

1 minute ago, Mice! said:

It means your in the store longer, probably standing waiting in the que,  this is the problem with Aldi lately for me, only a couple of people on the tills then wait till there is a build up, yes they say it keeps prices down but its annoying sometimes. 

I have given up using Aldi for now.  The local branch is quite cramped and small (only 4 possibly 5 checkouts at maximum I think) and really cannot hold many people at all 2m apart.  The aisles are narrow.  They are trying to be careful, but it's not very 'safe feeling' to me.  A shame as normally I find Aldi good, but they are at a disadvantage with the store they have.

Morrisons locally have the advantage of a MUCH larger store and have improved arrangements to allow more space and the aisles are much wider than Aldi.

25 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I have given up using Aldi for now.  The local branch is quite cramped and small (only 4 possibly 5 checkouts at maximum I think) and really cannot hold many people at all 2m apart.  The aisles are narrow.  They are trying to be careful, but it's not very 'safe feeling' to me.  A shame as normally I find Aldi good, but they are at a disadvantage with the store they have.

Morrisons locally have the advantage of a MUCH larger store and have improved arrangements to allow more space and the aisles are much wider than Aldi.

It makes sense then for you to not use Aldi, I tend to wander around waiting for the que to go down, it's a brand new store not bad space wise, it's just the staffing issue. 

There is a huge new Lidl opened up a couple of miles from here on the site of what had been a Homebase. Its really good, vast space inside, wide aisles, good size car park but still only two checkouts open most of the time.

The quality of the food is really good and you do save a small fortune but you can't escape the queue 

On 26/10/2020 at 10:19, JohnfromUK said:

Can you not book a delivery? That’s the way we’ve gone now. No trail into town, no queue. 

8 minutes ago, Scully said:

Can you not book a delivery? That’s the way we’ve gone now. No trail into town, no queue. 

I don't think you can at Aldi - they do have a click and collect but not yet in our area, and you still have to go and collect.

I can get deliveries (chargeable) including via Amazon Prime or click and collect at Morrison's, but in fact I go very early in the morning - and it is no problem.  VERY few people there, no queue, and you can select the veggies and fresh foods that look nice and fresh etc. and when something is out of stock, you can pick an alternative.

My sister has deliveries and it does work, but when things are out of stock, you don't always get told in advance, so can't select an alternative - and sometimes you do get very scruffy veggies

13 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I don't think you can at Aldi - they do have a click and collect but not yet in our area, and you still have to go and collect.

I can get deliveries (chargeable) including via Amazon Prime or click and collect at Morrison's, but in fact I go very early in the morning - and it is no problem.  VERY few people there, no queue, and you can select the veggies and fresh foods that look nice and fresh etc. and when something is out of stock, you can pick an alternative.

My sister has deliveries and it does work, but when things are out of stock, you don't always get told in advance, so can't select an alternative - and sometimes you do get very scruffy veggies

Fair enough, I wasn’t aware Aldi don’t do deliveries. 
We use Asda on the suggestion of OH’s mother, and so far it’s working well ( too well at times....last week OH  ordered two of everything by accident.....we may have to buy more cupboards! ) and very convenient for us. Town is an 18 mile round trip, which isn’t a chore at all, but the delivery saves us quite a bit of time when we’d rather be doing something else. Costs us around 4 quid, sometimes less, dependant on slot times. 
I still shop locally for meat, fruit and veg’, plus sundries. 

11 minutes ago, Scully said:

Fair enough, I wasn’t aware Aldi don’t do deliveries. 

The other thing was that at the peak in the spring, it was near impossible to get a slot with any of the delivery services (though it seems fine again now).

I find the early morning visit (I go about once a fortnight) works well for me, only about 8 miles round trip, no traffic hold ups.  I also shop for a few things for my neighbours.  My real reason is that I like to see what I'm going to get, and I find it very easy, and as far as I can tell very adequately safe - certainly doesn't make me nervous.

Do the shopping and come back and use it as a good excuse for a 'full English' breakfast!

52 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

The other thing was that at the peak in the spring, it was near impossible to get a slot with any of the delivery services (though it seems fine again now).

I find the early morning visit (I go about once a fortnight) works well for me, only about 8 miles round trip, no traffic hold ups.  I also shop for a few things for my neighbours.  My real reason is that I like to see what I'm going to get, and I find it very easy, and as far as I can tell very adequately safe - certainly doesn't make me nervous.

Do the shopping and come back and use it as a good excuse for a 'full English' breakfast!

Sounds good. Our nearest Asda is a 40 mile round trip so when in town use any and all of the local supermarkets really. They all feel safe enough, it was just time consuming queuing at times. 
Full English sounds good; we often coincide a shop with a bacon sarnie at a good coffee shop. 👍

Changing the subject a bit there was a discussion on breakfast TV about whether lockdown restrictions should be eased for Christmas?  Errr no! thats the whole point of having a lockdown.

Another man was saying the lockdown in Leicester will have to be lifted for Diwali.

People do not appear to be taking this whole thing seriously. Like its some sort of game we can play if we choose to

20 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

People do not appear to be taking this whole thing seriously. Like its some sort of game we can play if we choose to

This virus will not just 'go away' if you ignore it.  The best hope is (one of) the various vaccines being urgently developed.  It sounds like good progress is being made on that front, but another few months before it is being rolled out in the public sphere.

The way to minimise the cases, illnesses, deaths is to minimise social contact as far as reasonably possible to minimise spread until there is a vaccine.  Yes - it will hurt some businesses, but it will also benefit others.  When there is a vaccine - some rules may have to remain in place, partly because the vaccine may not (almost certainly won't) be 100% effective, and partly because some people will refuse to be vaccinated.  The more who do get vaccinated and the better the vaccine is - the better it will be at lowering the 'R' rate, but it won't completely stamp out the virus.  Maybe in the longer run, it will - like Spanish flu 100 years ago weaken and become much less virulent, but that is not a known certain outcome.  It might instead mutate to become resistant to vaccines almost as fast as they are developed.  No one knows.

If people ignore good sense, have lots of 'Christmas/Duvali/New Year/whatever parties - it will facilitate virus spread - and we will ALL be subject to tougher restrictions for longer.

We have had rising cases (and sadly deaths) locally - but we still get posts from people on 'social media' urging people to refuse to wear masks etc. claiming it is no more than the usual flu, it is a global attempt by 'big pharma' to take over etc etc.  There is a certain element of 'the usual suspects' involved in this (e.g. the David Icke, Piers Corbyn lot to name just two).  There are a few on this forum who favour a much more relaxed approach for those at lower risk.

Edited by JohnfromUK
Typos as usual!

12 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Biggest current fly in the ointment with regard to an available vaccine is that at the moment the anti-bodies are not lasting very long. 

So you effectively become possibly immune, but not for very long!

Yes, though there seem to be different interpretations.  One says that although the level of antibodies may fall (and would be expected to do so to some extent), once the body has 'learned' how to make them, it is much quicker to react and remake them for a future need.  It isn't an area I know anything about, but one interviewee was saying it was a bit like 'westerners' only get colds mildly because their immune systems know how to react - whereas remote isolated tribes folk in the jungles can get very ill - even fatally from 'a cold' because it is a quite new thing to their immune systems - which don't know how to react.

I can only listen to the (often confused and contradictory) news reports and interviews, but I don't know of another 'solution' either.

Guest cookoff013

people just want a good time. covid is going to muller christmas. its going to really destroy it. 

not to sound scrooge like, but christmas is going to be limp at best. 

just plan for it. itll be back to normal soon enough.