England - travel between tiers

grahamch

Have been offered a driven day in N Yorkshire next week in a T2 post code but currently in live a T3 area, presume am going to have to say no as my journey would not be classed as essential by the boys in blue or the idiot in number 10?

Edited by grahamch

Well as I read it, you can travel tier to tier but you must adhere to the regulations from your tier . Now I cannot honestly undertsnad all of that garbage, but I have just shot in tier two and I live in tier three and honestly cannot see the problem as long as the shoot and those taking part have no problems with it.   I drove up the M1/A1 along with a few thousand other vehicles so all of them where breaking ths stupid rules as well I assume and never saw one single police car there and back.  My advice, go and enjoy your day, use your common sense and wear mask if you wish etc etc etc.  It aint a rehearsal, go enjoy yourself.

We’ve just had to study this all very carefully for our syndicate let day. Our visiting guns live in a tier 2 ..... and our shoot is in a tier 3. After much deliberation and advice from experts, the day went ahead. 

There wasn’t a legal issue at all re travel. However we had Covid protocol on the shoot day pretty well nailed down. Needless to say no elevenses or drinks etc. The testing birds put a smile on their face anyway. 

27 minutes ago, Fellside said:

We’ve just had to study this all very carefully for our syndicate let day. Our visiting guns live in a tier 2 ..... and our shoot is in a tier 3. After much deliberation and advice from experts, the day went ahead. 

There wasn’t a legal issue at all re travel. However we had Covid protocol on the shoot day pretty well nailed down. Needless to say no elevenses or drinks etc. The testing birds put a smile on their face anyway. 

guns getting their pre-shoot instructions.

PPE-suits.jpg

30 minutes ago, oscarsdad said:

You can go, you have to behave as if still in tier three but you can go perfectly legally 

Open to interpretation to if it’s ok for game shooting as a gun. See government advice.

Travelling into or out of a Tier 3 alert level area

Avoid travelling outside your area, including for overnight stays, other than where necessary, such as:

• for work
  • for education
  • to access voluntary, charitable or youth services
  • because of caring responsibilities
  • for moving home
  • to visit your support bubble
  • for a medical appointment or treatment

Where necessary, you can travel through other areas as part of a longer journey.

If you live in a Tier 3 area, you must continue to follow Tier 3 rules when you travel to a Tier 1 or Tier 2 area. You must not stay with anyone you do not live with elsewhere in the UK or visit their home (unless you share a support bubble).

7 minutes ago, rbrowning2 said:

Open to interpretation to if it’s ok for game shooting as a gun. See government advice.

Travelling into or out of a Tier 3 alert level area

Avoid travelling outside your area, including for overnight stays, other than where necessary, such as:

• for work
  • for education
  • to access voluntary, charitable or youth services
  • because of caring responsibilities
  • for moving home
  • to visit your support bubble
  • for a medical appointment or treatment

Where necessary, you can travel through other areas as part of a longer journey.

If you live in a Tier 3 area, you must continue to follow Tier 3 rules when you travel to a Tier 1 or Tier 2 area. You must not stay with anyone you do not live with elsewhere in the UK or visit their home (unless you share a support bubble).

I agree, it is down to interpretation. BASC’s interpretation says travel between tiers (not tier 4 obviously) is ok. 

2 minutes ago, oscarsdad said:

I agree, it is down to interpretation. BASC’s interpretation says travel between tiers (not tier 4 obviously) is ok. 

+1

may not matter after tomorrow the whole country may be in Tier 4 after the PM briefing tomorrow from what the news was saying this evening, fingers crossed not so.

1 hour ago, rbrowning2 said:

+1

may not matter after tomorrow the whole country may be in Tier 4 after the PM briefing tomorrow from what the news was saying this evening, fingers crossed not so.

Figuratively of course Boris would be a dead man walking if he did.  Bad enough he shut down large swathes of the country for Christmas when he said he wouldn't but to shut the rest down would be suicide.  Thousands and thousands more tests being done so it is just common sense that there will be more people recorded positive.  The Tier system is stupid when just one step can take you from one area to the other, splitting roads down the middle and in some cases peoples gardens.  I think MATT the cartoonist put it in a nutshells today in the Telegraph. It was up on youtube as well.  When cartoonists start to tke the proverbial you know your on a loser.

18 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Figuratively of course Boris would be a dead man walking if he did.  Bad enough he shut down large swathes of the country for Christmas when he said he wouldn't but to shut the rest down would be suicide.  Thousands and thousands more tests being done so it is just common sense that there will be more people recorded positive.  The Tier system is stupid when just one step can take you from one area to the other, splitting roads down the middle and in some cases peoples gardens.  I think MATT the cartoonist put it in a nutshells today in the Telegraph. It was up on youtube as well.  When cartoonists start to tke the proverbial you know your on a loser.

they the government who must be obeyed just put a lot more in Tier 4, Tier 3 and Tier 2. The new strain is winning.

20 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I don't think the majority of us would need to worry about going from a lower tier into a higher one and vice a versa around the South East and the Eastern counties , from Boxing day we are moving from tier two straight into tier four and that could be it as far as game shooting go for the rest of this season as I fear we are going to be in this higher tier for several weeks if not months with all these new strains coming over the horizon .

PS ... Have you had your jab yet   ??

Been reports of police pulling people over asking where they are going. If no good reason handing out £160.00 fines. This was from my wife of FB so how true I don't know but I'm sure others can find out.

Just looked line and it's true, the police are patroling the borders of North Yorkshire stopping people from tier3 according to the Gazette online.

Edited by figgy

4 hours ago, marsh man said:

I don't think the majority of us would need to worry about going from a lower tier into a higher one and vice a versa around the South East and the Eastern counties , from Boxing day we are moving from tier two straight into tier four and that could be it as far as game shooting go for the rest of this season as I fear we are going to be in this higher tier for several weeks if not months with all these new strains coming over the horizon .

PS ... Have you had your jab yet   ??

No to your question.

1 hour ago, figgy said:

Been reports of police pulling people over asking where they are going. If no good reason handing out £160.00 fines. This was from my wife of FB so how true I don't know but I'm sure others can find out.

Just looked line and it's true, the police are patroling the borders of North Yorkshire stopping people from tier3 according to the Gazette online.

Interested to know under what powers they are asking that information and issuing £150 fixed penalty notices. 

9 minutes ago, figgy said:

Seems very heavy handed, it's under essential only travel restrictions under the tier system. 

Wife showed me a post on her Facebook off a friend of hers who witnessed it happening on the A19.

You only have to give your name and address if stopped whilst driving a car. No need to give any other information. And the general rule of thumb when questioned by the police is to go go “no comment” unless in the presence of your brief. They are not your friend. 

6 hours ago, figgy said:

I can imagine plod loving that, no comment. Do you own this car sir no comment, are you Mr xyz no comment, wonder how they would take it. Let you go on your way or find some excuse to nick you and ruin your day.

Well then Sir, you can just accompany us to the Police Station while we confirm your identity and what you are up to. That should only take a couple of hours, although the cells are quite full at this time of year.

Now for the last time, Do you have any identification? Is it your car? What are you doing here?

Quite, and are you a certificate holder sir, it's came up on our anpr that guns may be in your car, are there any with you sir? 

Will have a word with firearms about your suitability and cavalier attitude to the rules.

Trouble is you may be well within your rights but is it worth antagonising them, only you can decide.

I've been on the receiving end of a vindictive copper years ago, cost me a lot of time and a wasted time court appearance.

Edited by figgy

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Well then Sir, you can just accompany us to the Police Station while we confirm your identity and what you are up to. That should only take a couple of hours, although the cells are quite full at this time of year.

Now for the last time, Do you have any identification? Is it your car? What are you doing here?

They can’t just ask you to accompany them. They would have to arrest you. Yes they could make something up and If I wasn’t in a hurry i’d quite enjoy it. And I guarantee my legal team would tear them apart. 

we cannot let the police run roughshod over our liberties it’s a dangerous slippery slope if we do. 

2 minutes ago, AVB said:

They can’t just ask you to accompany them. They would have to arrest you. Yes they could make something up and If I wasn’t in a hurry i’d quite enjoy it. And I guarantee my legal team would tear them apart. 
we cannot let the police run roughshod over our liberties it’s a dangerous slippery slope if we do. 

Or alternatively we could all do as we are told and not travel unneccessarily and if and when stopped simply answer a couple of questions with polite honest answers!

22 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Or alternatively we could all do as we are told and not travel unneccessarily and if and when stopped simply answer a couple of questions with polite honest answers!

It’s nothing to do with travelling unnecessarily. It’s about having to account for your movements which I object to. If it was the law (that had been properly passed by Government) then so be it, but it isn’t. It’s a set of vaguely worded advice that some power mad police chiefs are desperate to interpret. Many forces have admitted that they can’t be enforced and letting people manage their own affairs.