Jump to content

a picture of my sidecar at brands hatch in 1987


Recommended Posts

i used to race sidecars from the 1983 season until the end of the 1990 season with a lot of success   i started with a suzuki 750 two stroke triple in a fiddeman frame then bought george odells seymaz with a yamaha tz750 engine in 1985 then progressed to a lcr with  various sized yamaha tz engines  500/700/750 cc in 1987 then my last one a lcr in 1989  this picture is the first lcr at paddock hill bend at brands hatch  i was the passenger 

d4cEC6s0enf4lUiUomhhdZ3x-nnc-04-10-11-039-1550763083.jpg

Edited by nobbyathome
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • nobbyathome changed the title to a picture of my sidecar at brands hatch in 1987
27 minutes ago, sam triple said:

Used to love Brands Gp on my little R6 probably my favourite track , (embarrassed a lot of bigger bikes there ) for track days only one to better it was Aragon possibly Caldwell , fair play to you for actually racing though 

2E6ED1A6-559C-418D-B015-5C70CC92E848.png

brands hatch was my favourite as well   we didnt do to many races on the gp circuit over the years it was mainly the indy circuit  i raced all over the country and on many circuits my only regret now was not doing the isle of man tt and not going to do the world championships   work and money stopped both of them 

Edited by nobbyathome
Link to post
Share on other sites

You know the saying if it’s got t*ts or tyres it’ll cost money , the cost was getting too much last track days at brands even though I borrowed a van was £250 before I turned a wheel , added to the amount of numptys with no clue just about did ur for me , but loved every minute of them especially Spanish ones with mates from all over the country 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sam triple said:

You know the saying if it’s got t*ts or tyres it’ll cost money , the cost was getting too much last track days at brands even though I borrowed a van was £250 before I turned a wheel , added to the amount of numptys with no clue just about did ur for me , but loved every minute of them especially Spanish ones with mates from all over the country 

I did two years of racing, the amount put into bike and race weekends was eye watering.

Shattered clavicle and torn rotator cuff put paid to my last season and decided to quit whilst still in one piece. 
 

Few track days since.....

F206181D-C4D3-4A8A-9E9B-4967D4BD612F.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Jaymo said:

I did two years of racing, the amount put into bike and race weekends was eye watering.

Shattered clavicle and torn rotator cuff put paid to my last season and decided to quit whilst still in one piece. 
 

Few track days since.....

F206181D-C4D3-4A8A-9E9B-4967D4BD612F.jpeg

The older we all get the more self preservation kicks in 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sam triple said:

The older we all get the more self preservation kicks in 

Yep, my first born came along just a few weeks before a ‘Brands’ meeting.

Wifey popped along with newborn in his Kawasaki outfit with baby ear defenders.

Race was red flagged and I popped back to the garage via the rear, instead of through the Pit lane.

She was going nuts thinking I was the reason for the red flag, I then casually strolled out of the garage to a massive thump from her 🙂

Your right about UK track days, become a place of mutters/wannabes and total muppets. 
Some of the most inconsiderate riding, believing they are ‘racing’ but taking worse lines than your local coke addict....

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Velocette said:

This is me in the sidecar in 1968 at Cadwell. I was 16 and Chris the driver 17. Anything was possible in those days ! The bike is a Morgo Triumph with a home brewed 5 speed gearbox and 10" Lockheed discs. Did many years in outfits until going solo.

1968 Cadwell.jpg

1968 Cadwell 2.jpg

I thought it was the local S&M club with those outfits 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Velocette said:

This is me in the sidecar in 1968 at Cadwell. I was 16 and Chris the driver 17. Anything was possible in those days ! The bike is a Morgo Triumph with a home brewed 5 speed gearbox and 10" Lockheed discs. Did many years in outfits until going solo.

1968 Cadwell.jpg

1968 Cadwell 2.jpg

Can you rember a guy from up Newcastle-upon-Tyne  who used to race sidecar outfits he was called GEOFF ATKINSON ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, hodge911 said:

Can you rember a guy from up Newcastle-upon-Tyne  who used to race sidecar outfits he was called GEOFF ATKINSON ?

At the time we were racing most of the opposition seemed to come from the North East, particularly at Croft where George Bell with his Vincent 1000 outfit was demoralising. At a tangent, I probably raced against Ben Taylor of Rapid 7 fame at Snetterton but neither of us recall when it was.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I only ask because I knew him REALLY well and used to work for him off & on in his little garage where he worked on old moggy minors & the like. 

He still had one of his old sidecar out fits on the roof of the spray bay. 

I loved listening to him tell of his racing in the 60s & 70s  .... I only learned how good he actually was at his funeral service when he passed away in Nov 2018.. 

This picture is him & mac in i.o.m.tt 1970

 

e1a02fb4c38e3a85e19df7e20682fdee.jpg

Edited by hodge911
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/12/2020 at 16:45, eggy74 said:

me at clearways a few years ago, never had the money to race but did plenty of trackdays all around the country

FE1_9642.JPG

Hi is that a Suzuki TL1000R,    I have one in white that use for track days.   Lovely bike to ride.

B0414011-70C4-4571-A22E-5EF2F0286B24.jpeg

Edited by VULTURE
Picture
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...