Birding Year List

chrisjpainter

4 hours ago, Yellow Bear said:

In Derbyshire they are described as 'rare vagrants' (rather than 'very rare').

Where were you walking?

Through the Pringles up the Red House walk crossing the Old Newbold back lane , going up towards the Eyres  Chapel and the Observatory , the bird was in the fields where the  horses are on the Old Newbold back lane , there are some big ash trees in those field hedges !

4 hours ago, Yellow Bear said:

In Derbyshire they are described as 'rare vagrants' (rather than 'very rare').

Where were you walking?

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 22/08/2023 at 17:49, derbyduck said:

Well I finally spotted it this  morning  ,it was smaller than I expected when flew off , when I came past the area on my way back it was back in the same tree alas when I was trying to take a photo a bloke with a dog came past and his dog reared up on my dog ,  I will go out early tomorrow with camera ,bineos , gilley suit Mabey ,but no dog .

On 26/08/2023 at 17:09, derbyduck said:

Well I finally spotted it this  morning  ,it was smaller than I expected when flew off , when I came past the area on my way back it was back in the same tree alas when I was trying to take a photo a bloke with a dog came past and his dog reared up on my dog ,  I will go out early tomorrow with camera ,bineos , gilley suit Mabey ,but no dog .

Any joy Bud ?

9 hours ago, jall25 said:

Any joy Bud ?

9 hours ago, jall25 said:

Any joy Bud ?

unfortunately no , I was late getting up , it may have flown the coup I aint heard it sinch ,

But I have ticked one box by seeing it ! atb .

Edited by derbyduck

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/09/2023 at 10:11, Ratlegs said:

We have three sparrows

Surrounded by jackdaws magpies greys and furry things, we are not to mention

neighbours complain about mess from pigeons, their fault for putting 20 k of wheat a week

Dont let the vermin stop you feeding the song birds - do something about the vermin 

On 22/08/2023 at 09:59, derbyduck said:

Hi guys not sure but for the past three weeks whilst taking the dog out I've been hearing what I think is a Hoopoe , but I carnt seem to spot it , I've not heard one before ,have they ever been reported in North Derbyshire before ?

This is funny, I was just going to post that there's one been getting photographed somewhere on the Furness peninsula over the last week. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A brilliant response from the PW fraternity, it shows that we take a real interest in our feathered friends.

I did a week catfishing in Riba Rocha, Spain, on the first evening saw a White Stork, one of a few over the week, Little Bittern, Hoopoes, Purple herons, Black Kites were prolific and we spotted a few Golden Orioles one day. We were pleased to see such a profusion of birds because the Catfish were preoccupied with spawning carp and kept a low profile - although my mate did catch a 99 pounder 😵

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, JDog said:

Never seen one but would love to. Still haven’t seen a Hawfinch.

I was very fortunate to see an ‘ear-full’ or ‘museum’ of waxwings one winter several years ago, but have not seen one since.

Lovely little birds.

OB

12 hours ago, twenty said:

Waxwings reported in various Gloucestershire areas over the last few days, (Fairford, Forest of Dean, Gloucester).

There were some being photographed in Ulverston a few weeks back, and just double checking on Google they've shown up in Manchester and Lincolnshire as well. 

I had two male Chaffinches in my garden today,  not normally anything to get excited about but there haven't been any in the garden for a long time.

10 hours ago, Mice! said:

There were some being photographed in Ulverston a few weeks back, and just double checking on Google they've shown up in Manchester and Lincolnshire as well. 

I had two male Chaffinches in my garden today,  not normally anything to get excited about but there haven't been any in the garden for a long time.

I get the occasional Chaffinch in the garden, but have a regular daily visit from between 5-10 Goldfinch to the sunflower hearts feeder, also a Pied Wagtail dropped in the other day.

All the best for the New Year.

2 hours ago, twenty said:

I get the occasional Chaffinch in the garden, but have a regular daily visit from between 5-10 Goldfinch to the sunflower hearts feeder, also a Pied Wagtail dropped in the other day.

All the best for the New Year.

Goldfinch are pretty regular along with a few Green,  and the occasional Bull, but Chaffinch numbers have been well down for a few years now because of disease,  always plenty to see in the garden 😁

Atb to you too 👍

• 3 weeks later...