Birding Year List

chrisjpainter

Haven't heard a Cuckoo or seen a Swallow yet , way to cold at the moment along the East coast , but as a compensate I do hear the booming of a Bittern , my hearing is not that good but I can hear it from a fair distance , and as a bonus , every so often I see it on the wing , never seen a young one or two flying together .    MM

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 14/04/2024 at 07:17, twenty said:

Two singing Nightingales at Highnam woods yesterday, and a calling Cuckoo at Cotswold water parks.

Hello, Oh lucky you !!!!!!, not heard a cuckoo around Abingdon Lock for a few years now where before there were here every year, they was a Kingfisher nest in the old mill but not seen for now, maybe river pollution with fish, plenty of Cormorants !!!!

2 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, Oh lucky you !!!!!!, not heard a cuckoo around Abingdon Lock for a few years now where before there were here every year, they was a Kingfisher nest in the old mill but not seen for now, maybe river pollution with fish, plenty of Cormorants !!!!

There was a nice photo of a Cuckoo in flight in our local paper this morning , mind you it don't look very happy , still far to cold around this way at the moment , the Swallows would be better off staying in Africa for a few more days until it warm up a bit:lol:

SAM-9734.jpg

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

There was a nice photo of a Cuckoo in flight in our local paper this morning , mind you it don't look very happy , still far to cold around this way at the moment , the Swallows would be better off staying in Africa for a few more days until it warm up a bit:lol:

SAM-9734.jpg

Hello, Peed of with the weather i expect 🤔😄

Saw and heard my first cuckoo of the year yesterday.

On 19/04/2024 at 20:34, marsh man said:

Haven't heard a Cuckoo or seen a Swallow yet , way to cold at the moment along the East coast , but as a compensate I do hear the booming of a Bittern , my hearing is not that good but I can hear it from a fair distance , and as a bonus , every so often I see it on the wing , never seen a young one or two flying together .    MM

Hi John, I`ve never seen seen a bittern but have heard a few out on the marsh over the years.

Edited by Old Boggy

2 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

Hi John, I`ve never seen seen a bittern but have heard a few out on the marsh over the years.

Evening Chris ... There is just something about hearing the first Cuckoo and seeing the first Swallow before the Summer kick off , within a day or so I normally see my first Swallow around the last week in April and that need to be a nice warm day , I do normally hear and see the Cuckoo throughout the Summer with spending a fair bit of time in the woods , the Bittern on the marsh have been on these marshes for the last three or four years so I imagine it would be the same one.

The late Jim Vincent who used to be the warden on Hickling Broad had a photo in one of the books I had where he was holding a couple of very young Bitterns , this was at a time when they were nearly extinct where now they are still fairly rare but numbers are building up nicely , you will see one before long    MM