And the 'Naval Idiot of the Week Award' goes to...

chrisjpainter

This dude! 

13 days into an assignment to HMS Vanguard as a weapons engineering officer, he announced that he was against the firing of nuclear weapons. He was removed from the boat, had his security clearance downgraded and given a shore job. He's now suing the Navy for discrimination. Apparently it was against his Religious convictions. 

The Times says, 'in 2020 he was removed from a course for Trident officers, having told the leader about his concerns, and told to wait in his cabin. He said he was faced with “in-depth questions of my views, relationships and background”. He added he was “told not to return to the boat”. ' Umm...good? quite right too! And that's coming from someone who is a Christian - just not a mad one who's never had the forethought to think through the career implications of joining the submarine service

I sincerely hope he doesn't get anywhere. It sounds like a bonkers, money and attention-grabbing scheme from someone who clearly picked the wrong career choice! 

The Times article (behind paywall)
Christian sailor opposed to nuclear weapons sues MoD for discrimination | News | The Times

Wales Online (free)

Submarine officer suing MOD as he objects to nuclear weapons due to religion - Wales Online

Many years ago we had an Armourer arrive at RAF Wittering newly out of training. 

We had been forwarned that he did not understand the danger of what he would be working with and was taking dangerous shortcuts.

Armourers have a tremendous respect for what can happen if things go wrong.

We watched this chap closely as we took him along whilst we serviced 1000 lb bombs and 600 lb cluster bombs.

He was a little too cock-sure for my liking, so I phoned the training base and spoke to 2 of his Instructors.

Apparently he would walk out to an aircraft and climb straight in to the cockpit without checking that any of the safety devices were fitted to the Ejection Seats.

From that point on he was not allowed to be on his own whenever we were working, he got a lot of grief from those that were good at the job and eventually went to the Boss to complain. We were called in and warned that if it didn't stop there would be trouble. It was pointed out that he was the problem. 

He was watched by several of the more senior people and a week later when he returned to the Boss to complain was offered a release from the Service.

2 minutes ago, ditchman said:

just slightly off on a tangent............whats the complete story of the aircraft carrier malfunction..........was there a "anchor or 2 involved in that ??

Allegedly - the propeller shaft bearing has overheated and/or got scored the shaft due to lack of being greased.  I suspect that is all a bit simplistic because I assume big bearings like that will have complex special systems to lubricate and cool the bearing.  I don't know how they are made now, but at one time they were made from lignum vitae wood https://www.workboat.com/brand-partners/lignum-vitae-bearings-the-only-natural-water-lubricated-solution-with-decades-of-continuous-reliable-performance

Lignum vitae is now a protected wood I believe and difficult to get.

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Many years ago we had an Armourer arrive at RAF Wittering newly out of training. 

We had been forwarned that he did not understand the danger of what he would be working with and was taking dangerous shortcuts.

We watched this chap closely as we took him along whilst we serviced 1000 lb bombs and 600 lb cluster bombs.

He was a little too cock-sure for my liking, so I phoned the training base and spoke to 2 of his Instructors.

Apparently he would walk out to an aircraft and climb straight in to the cockpit without checking that any of the safety devices were fitted to the Ejection Seats.

From that point on he was not allowed to be on his own whenever we were working, he got a lot of grief from those that were good at the job and eventually went to the Boss to complain. We were called in and warned that if it didn't stop there would be trouble. It was pointed out that he was the problem. 

He was watched by several of the more senior people and a week later when he returned to the Boss to complain was offered a release from the Service.

He shouldn't have been allowed to finish training at all 

I remember when one of the Gulf/Libya things were kicking off - 89 to 91 ish and I was in training at RAF Locking - someone came to me at 1am ish in the morning crying that he didn't want to go to war (I was a senior due to previous Army service)- I turned round and said "why the flock did you sign on the dotted line because you signed your life away for Queen and Country"

He didn't like that!

3 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

How did someone like that pass training dave ?.

You would like to think that he'd be stopped , before he was in a position to make things very dangerous,  for himself,  and those around him.

8 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

How did someone like that pass training dave ?.

You would like to think that he'd be stopped , before he was in a position to make things very dangerous,  for himself,  and those around him.

When I joined up in 1983 you got one chance, **** up a second time and you were gone!

Lots of being beasted and shouted at, you accepted it and moved on.

By the time this chap had joined up the bloody liberal do gooders were starting to take over.

Consequently there were endless chances, each time it went a step further up the ladder and someone else would say "Oh give him ANOTHER go!

We had a long period with **** poor recruits that you couldn't get rid of!

8 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

When I joined up in 1983 you got one chance, **** up a second time and you were gone!

Lots of being beasted and shouted at, you accepted it and moved on.

By the time this chap had joined up the bloody liberal do gooders were starting to take over.

Consequently there were endless chances, each time it went a step further up the ladder and someone else would say "Oh give him ANOTHER go!

We had a long period with **** poor recruits that you couldn't get rid of!

That's pretty typical of just about everything in the UK dave . It starts in school,  and goes from there.

7 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

That's pretty typical of just about everything in the UK dave . It starts in school,  and goes from there.

Yep, the first point of indoctrination that now carries on through to University and a lot of employers

Edited by Penelope

20 minutes ago, manthing said:

If the chap was opposed to nuclear weapons why did he not disclose this at the first interview to join, nevermind when the posting to a nuclear sub came up.

Long term plans to score an education and get a payout me thinks. Prize chancer, should get a dishonorable discharge.

When I joined up 1967 we did the several weeks basic training at HMS Raleigh before we got drafted to a ship/base. Up until that point he'd not have known he was to be drafted to anything nuclear.

6 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

When I joined up 1967 we did the several weeks basic training at HMS Raleigh before we got drafted to a ship/base. Up until that point he'd not have known he was to be drafted to anything nuclear.

Im sure theres nothing mentioned in the bible about nuclear weapons, so its down to his own personal beliefs , and their interpretation within his actions.
In which case , joining the armed services would seem to conflict with said beliefs, therefore , if he a pacifist , or believes in the literal 'Thou shalt not kill' mantra, it makes you wonder whether he properly researched his chosen career path ?
The moment he realised he was incapable of doing his job correctly , he should have handed his resignation in, stating his reason, and took an honourable discharge.
It all sounds a little contrived to me , with a healthy dollop of attention seeking.

38 minutes ago, manthing said:

If the chap was opposed to nuclear weapons why did he not disclose this at the first interview to join, nevermind when the posting to a nuclear sub came up.

Long term plans to score an education and get a payout me thinks. Prize chancer, should get a dishonorable discharge.

It was probably because things suddenly got very real , and his bottle went.

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Yes it is, but has absolutely no place in a disciplined Military organisation.

Yep , it has no place anywhere , and it's what's turning our country into an island full of wetters . The thought that someone like that can find their way into a responsible position in the military,  fills me with dread and sadness.

18 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

So when he first went into recruitment why did he not proffer that he was opposed to the idea on massive bombs going off.

Why did he even go to recruitment if he felt that way.

He's changed his mind and wants someone to pay for it.

Just my opinion of the situation though.

6 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

It was probably because things suddenly got very real , and his bottle went.

Like a champagne Cork one suspects 😂