Blue Fin Tuna (Tunny)

Penelope

42 minutes ago, Penelope said:

The first officially tagged UK caught Tuna. Approx. 600lb caught by a friend on Saturday out of South Pembrokeshire.

The Skipper got his licence approval a couple of days before.

Tuna.jpg

Re-read your post this is a fish that was already tagged and caught again ? There has been quite a lot of action up here over the last few years but not seen any publicity regarding catches..... Im waiting for skipjack variety, imagine a 15lb mackerel on a spinning or fly rod 

http://www.hebrides-news.com/bluefin-tuna-study-project-6820.html

edit to say not sure about the warming seas suggestion as tuna followed the vast shoals of herring in the north sea circa 1920

Edited by islandgun

15 hours ago, islandgun said:

edit to say not sure about the warming seas suggestion as tuna followed the vast shoals of herring in the north sea circa 1920

Plenty of herring in the North Sea. I caught a couple 4-5 years ago in the Tyne, this year I could have filled my kayak in a few hours, apparently the Wear was even better for them. 

20220902_125739.jpg.366f02275a671250e9749ea29640113b.jpg

A few skippers are getting ahead of the game by getting their licence. There is also a good video of an Albacore in the harbour in Plymouth and swordfish are appearing too

17 hours ago, islandgun said:

Re-read your post this is a fish that was already tagged and caught again ? There has been quite a lot of action up here over the last few years but not seen any publicity regarding catches..... Im waiting for skipjack variety, imagine a 15lb mackerel on a spinning or fly rod 

So the skipper's part of the CHART scheme https://www.gov.uk/guidance/bluefin-tuna-in-the-uk?

As an side when I worked at, what was then, MAFF Central Science Lab (CSL) in the early 90's there used to be reasonably frequent talks/presentations about the history of, what became, 'MAFF' (particularly CSL's wartime role) - ISTR one of them was something looking at the commercial fishing of 'tunny' (actually its eradication as a major predator of herring stocks) in the 40's...

Official guidance of what to do if you catch one: https://www.thunnusuk.org/_files/ugd/bfb9b9_776e67d559814ff685b299691a256cca.pdf

Screenshot 2022-09-13 at 10-21-37 Bluefin tuna in the UK.png

Edited by DrBlox
Add pdf link

23 hours ago, islandgun said:

Only going on what my friend told me.

14 hours ago, Houseplant said:

Are fisheries rules actually enforced in the UK?

Yes and no. Anything that involves the commercial market is enforced too late - i.e. when/if the boats register beyond their quotas or for species outside their quota - in fines, usually. So, it doesn't particularly help stock levels or bi-catch as trawlers just dump what they can't sell. 

But things like Atlantic Bluefin Tuna fishing is fiercely policed. Britain has only just got a quota for ABT, so until very recently, it's been off the agenda for anyone, pleasure anglers, trawlers and charters alike and they will check. Again big fines and confiscation of kit. But far too much...er...slips through the net. 

Policing it effectively is a colossal undertaking. Mostly the fisheries agencies just police the small time stuff - protecting bass spawning areas and the like - without focusing on the big, habitat/stock annihilating stuff.

Humph.

2 hours ago, Houseplant said:

Thanks for the reply. I don't ever remember seeing any enforcement in the UK when sea fishing, but am checked fairly regularly over here. Coincidently, was checked this evening by two fisheries officers. 

Do you require a licence to fish at sea in NZ?

We don't over here but do require one for freshwater both migratory (game) and coarse species.

6 hours ago, Houseplant said:

Thanks for the reply. I don't ever remember seeing any enforcement in the UK when sea fishing, but am checked fairly regularly over here. Coincidently, was checked this evening by two fisheries officers. 

It's basically a case of needing to be in the right place at the right time to be checked. They're pretty hot on it in the bass spawning areas around the Fal in Cornwall. Anyone fishing at certain times of the year is liable to be checked. You're not allowed to fish with sandeels either, even if you're not actually targeting bass. But that's protection for one species in very small areas. A lot of it is as you say, pretty unpoliced

8 hours ago, Penelope said:

Do you require a licence to fish at sea in NZ?

We don't over here but do require one for freshwater both migratory (game) and coarse species.

No licence required for sea fishing, but there are size and bag limits which are reasonably well enforced with the potential for big fines and boat confiscations if there are serious contraventions.

Freshwater is a bit more complicated. Definitely need a licence for trout and salmon as well as tench and perch, plus rudd in some regions. No licence required for carp, eels or catfish, but might be tricky to prove you're not after other species. In practice, so little coarse fishing goes on here, that it's not really an issue. By far, the favourite way to target carp is with an arrow!